Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:39 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think it will be awhile before you see others like him. That is what was said when Lynden LaRoche was making his ideas known. I am not saying this is right or wrong, but it is the way it goes. When someone can come along with some of Paul's ideas and not carry them so far to the exteme that the legistlature can't take anything seriously we will have a winner. The word is compromise and bend a little. We are seeing the lack of flexibility in many of his supporters: if they can't have their way, they won't play.

Nita
I think compromise is a slippery slope. You don't want or need compromise, that is at the heart of what has happened in this country.

What you want is to build some consensus, to have a structure and guidelines that are well balanced to reflect this consensus. That is the very reason RP supporters understand the importance of freedom and following the constitution. It's not about "their" way. It is, in fact, the opposite. It is making sure that people do not lose their way on the path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I think compromise is a slippery slope. You don't want or need compromise, that is at the heart of what has happened in this country.

What you want is to build some consensus, to have a structure and guidelines that are well balanced to reflect this consensus. That is the very reason RP supporters understand the importance of freedom and following the constitution. It's not about "their" way. It is, in fact, the opposite. It is making sure that people do not lose their way on the path.
sorry, we live in a world where compromise is part of life. Each of us compromise daily or most of us anyway. There are some battles worth fighting thus we all have to decide which ones they are. I feel strongly enough about certain issues that I can no bend, others I feel strongly about, but realize I canit have my own way all the time. Only really inmature or allogant individuals think there is only one way to do things and it has to be their way.

Nita

Old 03-24-2012, 06:17 PM

25 posts, read 18,794 times
The question i think many of us are asking is whether we want to slow the destruction down with a lesser evil like Romney for time for Rand Paul or speed up the destruction with a greater evil Obama and than people might wake up and vote Rand Paul and we can change the country back to the constitution. But that decision doesn't have to be made until someone gets the magic number of delegates or the after the RNC convention.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
sorry, we live in a world where compromise is part of life. Each of us compromise daily or most of us anyway. There are some battles worth fighting thus we all have to decide which ones they are. I feel strongly enough about certain issues that I can no bend, others I feel strongly about, but realize I canit have my own way all the time. Only really inmature or allogant individuals think there is only one way to do things and it has to be their way.

Nita
Never compromise when ones rights are being violated. We saw what happened when our founders compromised on slavery.
A tax is currently 20 percent and I want it be zero. A new bill comes up lowering the tax to 18 percent. I'll compromise my beliefs and vote for that bill.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times
Quote:

Nita
My point is about the difference between compromise and consensus. Very important distinctions.

I agree w/ your statement about there being only one way to do things. That is why consensus building is so important. I think ultimately it is about how you view yourself and your relationship to the "system".

If you view someone as arrogant then that is what they are to you.

Last edited by CDusr; 03-24-2012 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Good cop, bad cop... Your being played in the interrogation of this nation.

Status quo establishment. What team are you on? The People or The Establishment(DNC/GOP)

Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,506,631 times
It's going to depend a lot on what happens at the convention and what Ron Paul has to say. I guarantee you that, unless he gives his full support to another nominee, most of his supporters either won't vote, or will write him in. That is the real elephant in the room for the Republican establishment. If they persist in trying to marginalize Dr. Paul, they will regret it.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:02 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
It's going to depend a lot on what happens at the convention and what Ron Paul has to say. I guarantee you that, unless he gives his full support to another nominee, most of his supporters either won't vote, or will write him in. That is the real elephant in the room for the Republican establishment. If they persist in trying to marginalize Dr. Paul, they will regret it.
Judging from the folks here, I agree.

An honest question: Do you Paul supporters have enough people to have a similar effect on the election as Ross Perot had? Or Ralph Nader? Both of them were big influences on their election outcomes.

If Paul has numbers like they did, I think it could directly affect the convention, the Repub strategy, and the party platform to keep them inside the tent. Honest estimates of Paul's support would be interesting.

Another question: How worried is the party over Paul's supporters? I've noticed the MSM has been ignoring him again last week, but I know you folks have not faded away at all.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:13 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,506,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

An honest question: Do you Paul supporters have enough people to have a similar effect on the election as Ross Perot had? Or Ralph Nader? Both of them were big influences on their election outcomes.

If Paul has numbers like they did, I think it could directly affect the convention, the Repub strategy, and the party platform to keep them inside the tent. Honest estimates of Paul's support would be interesting.

Another question: How worried is the party over Paul's supporters? I've noticed the MSM has been ignoring him again last week, but I know you folks have not faded away at all.
Those are good questions. Many polls show both Ron Paul and Romney beating Obama in the general election. The real issue is the primary. I, and a lot of others, registered as Republicans specifically because of Ron Paul. The party establishment ignores us at it's own peril. I believe there are definitely enough of us to cause a brokered convention and to affect the election. I also doubt Ron Paul will run third party. So then it becomes a matter of whether we would support Romney (the only other likely nominee) or not. That depends on what Dr. Paul does and how they deal with us at the convention. If they try to ignore and railroad us like they have in many caucus states, they will get NO support from us in the general election and they will likely re-elect Obama. As far as the media, they can't decide what to do, criticize him or ignore him. Right now they are ignoring him again but I suspect that will change.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I guarantee you that, unless he gives his full support to another nominee, most of his supporters either won't vote, or will write him in.
If Paul is going to endorse a candidate, he better have a VERY good explanation for it which jives with the idea of liberty, or I am going to be cross. VERY cross. That said, I don't think it's going to happen. Just.Not.Going.To.Happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Do you know Paul supporters in real life? Have you talked to them about this? ALL the Paul supporters I know, in real-life and online, hates both parties with equal fervor. Like hell they will vote for any other Republican or Obama. And I really mean, ALL. I am sure people wonder why this is the case, but the whole reason why someone becomes a Paul supporter is because they are convinced that both parties are equally corrupt and lying. Paul supporters don't even think in terms of "right" and "left" - it's big government vs. the people. So the idea that one will suddenly abandon those principles and just vote for a status quo candidate just doesn't make sense from a logical point of view, when there is an option to write in Paul or vote 3rd party. My estimate is that about 65% of the supporters will write in Paul, 25% will vote 3rd party, likely for the Libertarian Party nominee, and 10% won't vote at all.

When I even think of voting for Romney or Obama, I feel like vomiting. Like literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections