U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,771,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yep, you said it , I just concured, based on the fact that no sane person would compare any American politician or Christian to the Taliban. I see you did conceed it was in jest.
The "jest" has a serious basis --- where are we going in this country? I am appalled at any political figure defining themselves as representing the divinely appointed defender of the truth.

I guess if one is not of Judeo/Christian leanings in the US --- you're SOL, forget about separation of church and state (which, IMO, any half-wit student of history knows has been the source of enormous strife and misery in the history of man).

It is the 12th year of the 21st century --- must we still play out the idiocy of previous centuries of conflict about religious viewpoints? Disagreements on such matters are a fact of life (unfortunately) but the continued demonization of differing viewpoints (and the pandering of would be political leaders thereto) is depressing.

Mr Santorum and company appear to have a lot in common with their brethren in other societies, the differences are only a matter of current details. JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 AM

5,697 posts, read 5,441,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
I've been following the former Senator's political statements with some interest. It appears that he espouses a world view quite similar to the Taliban (IMO) in social affairs. Does anyone else have a similar viewpoint?
oh good grief!!
how stupid can you get??
if any one is trying to RULE instead of govern it is the hack sitting in the
white house!!
I do not agree with the Senator's views on a lot of things
but he would be a hell of a lot better than Obama!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 AM

5,697 posts, read 5,441,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Hopefully its obvious, I used the Taliban reference for giggles, BUT --- it is of some serious concern to me that we are seeing a public resurgence of the "holier than thou"political mantra. Such views make me nervous about where the nation is headed and the state of our body politic.

The Viet Nam/Viet Cong reference was a serious example of human conduct that I've personally witnessed that kind of boggled my mind. Unfortunately, though we have survived these many thousands of years in some form of civilization --- we have a very long way to go before we can be considered 'civilized". JMHO
how do you feel about the current president
saying he can not go above Congress like he would like to?
Does that make you have serious concern?
I do not want far right OR far left

Old 03-12-2012, 01:36 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,771,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
oh good grief!!
how stupid can you get??
if any one is trying to RULE instead of govern it is the hack sitting in the
white house!!
I do not agree with the Senator's views on a lot of things
but he would be a hell of a lot better than Obama!

Perhaps a a bit more erudition regarding history might serve you more effectively in viewing the current situation. Political personages, of all stripes throughout history who have claimed some "association" of divine motivation and defenders thereof, have proven timelessly to be simply pandering to the simple-minded.

Such antics are patently apparent as nothing more than efforts to win power for THEIR belief system and denigrate those who disagree --- regardless of the merits therein, or any objective review.

Perhaps you missed the lectures on the almost countless slaughters engendered by Catholic versus Protestant conflicts since Luther. Almost surely, you missed the Christian versus Muslim conflicts that predated the Reformation and have continued into the present day.

IMO, anyone who espouses the status of "defending the faith" is simply pandering, and exhibits such a lack of knowledge of human history as to disqualify themselves from any serious consideration for public office.

Regarding "how stupid can you get" --- you are certainly entitled to disagree with my viewpoints. As to my stupidity level --- unless you're in the upper ranges of the top 1% of the IQ distribution --- you have a serious problem in that assertion.

Perhaps you might want to rethink your capabilities and knowledge of history before being so cavalier in that regard - just a suggestion.

"how do you feel about the current president
saying he can not go above Congress like he would like to?
Does that make you have serious concern?
I do not want far right OR far left"

My impressions of President Obama are generally favorable, but constrained somewhat by his rhetoric about what any president can achieve. Certainly it has been an extraordinary event for the US to have a president of non-white (WASP or Catholic) background. That in and of itself is a milestone event and very favorable for the nation's future.

I can appreciate your reference to his desire to "go above Congress" (which, incidentally, has been espoused by every President I am familiar with) the Congress is an abysmal vehicle for getting anything done. That perhaps is also its greatest value in a polygot nation.)

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 03-12-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or