U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM
 
12,870 posts, read 13,135,797 times
Reputation: 4453

Advertisements

ron paul is right, as usual.

people have insurance for disasters- or at least they should have. i live in florida and have been in 3 hurricanes in 2 years so i totally understand how frightening natural disasters are.

paul never said that the people should be left to "fend for themselves" after a disaster. what he said was this:

Paul said there was a role for the National Guard to restore order and provide care and shelter in major emergencies, but that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) led to nothing but "frustration and anger." (end)

i saw FEMA in action, and i couldn't agree more.

these organizations, like the war actions, are a way to funnel money to the people at the top while pretending to help the people at the bottom. who can argue with "patriotism" or "disaster aid"?

does anyone remember what happened to the haiti aid? the iraq aid? all the other aid that never makes it to anyone, and never is accounted for?

and don't forget the fraud for the money that is actually handed out, like this:
http://blog.al.com/live/2011/08/out_...n_fema_fr.html

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-05-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,461,586 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, stood by his libertarian beliefs on Sunday, saying that victims of the violent storms and tornadoes that have battered a band of states in the South and Midwest in recent days should not be given emergency financial aid from the federal government.

"There is no such thing as federal money," Paul said, on CNNís State of the Union. "Federal money is just what they steal from the states and steal from you and me."

Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims - Yahoo! News
And people wonder why libertarians are seen as callous toward their felllow man--it's because they mostly are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 04:39 PM
 
8,758 posts, read 8,860,176 times
Reputation: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We felt the same way when he made a similar statement last year after the flooding. No, we were pretty lucky in AR, so it didn't directly affect us but we are not far from Tn and Mississippi. Both states were hit hard and yes, now, we are getting into tornado season. We are only 35 miles from Joplin, MO, you can imagine how we felt last year when they were wiped out.


I do understand how you felt. I friend of mine lived in the district Ron Paul represents in TX and when they were hit by one of the more devestating hurricanes, she said he hid out from his constituents and did not help them in any way. That is her story and I for a fact don't know, but I can see that is probably is true.

He might thinks the emergency aid money should be returned to the states and administered by the states, but it isn't like that right now to a great degree so he needs to make that clear and quit making such statements when people are hurting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM
 
8,758 posts, read 8,860,176 times
Reputation: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
ron paul is right, as usual.

people have insurance for disasters- or at least they should have. i live in florida and have been in 3 hurricanes in 2 years so i totally understand how frightening natural disasters are.

paul never said that the people should be left to "fend for themselves" after a disaster. what he said was this:

Paul said there was a role for the National Guard to restore order and provide care and shelter in major emergencies, but that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) led to nothing but "frustration and anger." (end)

i saw FEMA in action, and i couldn't agree more.

these organizations, like the war actions, are a way to funnel money to the people at the top while pretending to help the people at the bottom. who can argue with "patriotism" or "disaster aid"?

does anyone remember what happened to the haiti aid? the iraq aid? all the other aid that never makes it to anyone, and never is accounted for?

and don't forget the fraud for the money that is actually handed out, like this:
Out of prison 1 day on FEMA fraud charges, Clarke County woman commits new fraud | al.com


FEMA is very mishandled and I know that in KY, we will take care of our own during this if necessary. That is what we do. However, his statements were timed very poorly. He should know better and his son lives here and is a senator here. It's not good for him for his father to be so insensitve. Rand is not all that popular to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM
 
2,944 posts, read 3,004,114 times
Reputation: 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
FEMA is very mishandled and I know that in KY, we will take care of our own during this if necessary. That is what we do. However, his statements were timed very poorly. He should know better and his son lives here and is a senator here. It's not good for him for his father to be so insensitve. Rand is not all that popular to begin with.
His statement is taking out of content. If you or others have listened to his full answer, then it is not poorly. It is making sense.

What he is saying is the State, national guard, charity, neighbors to deal with this. Not the federal government.

I know someone of you said state does not have the money. True only because the federal government is taxing us to death. 50%+ of our income go to federal government in form of taxation. If I am allow to keep all the money I earned, I will sure I can send a few thousand to Red Cross to help our the victims. But because of tax (income tax from both Fed/State/local, property tax, gas tax, etc), which account like 2/3 of my income, I cannot afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 04:56 PM
 
Location: NC
1,946 posts, read 1,540,923 times
Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And people wonder why libertarians are seen as callous toward their felllow man--it's because they mostly are!
Yes, libertarians are very callous.

They want to let you keep more of what you earn.
They want to give your dollar more value.
They want to lower taxes for you.
They want to stop inflation.
They want to stop the government from telling you whom you can sleep with.
They want to stop the government from telling you whom you can marry.
They want to stop the government from wasting your money.
They want to stop sending off your kids to die in wars.
They want to stop filling up our jails with the minorities.
They want to stop torture.
They want to stop corrupt politicians.
They want to stop federal tyranny.
They want to let you have more freedom.
They want to follow the Constitution.
They want to protect your God-given rights.
They want to protect your property rights.

Yes, damn the libertarians. We can't have any of this now, can we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,900,673 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Yes, libertarians are very callous.

They want to let you keep more of what you earn.
They want to give your dollar more value.
They want to lower taxes for you.
They want to stop inflation.
They want to stop the government from telling you whom you can sleep with.
They want to stop the government from telling you whom you can marry.
They want to stop the government from wasting your money.
They want to stop sending off your kids to die in wars.
They want to stop filling up our jails with the minorities.
They want to stop torture.
They want to stop corrupt politicians.
They want to stop federal tyranny.
They want to let you have more freedom.
They want to follow the Constitution.
They want to protect your God-given rights.
They want to protect your property rights.

Yes, !@#$%^&* the libertarians. We can't have any of this now, can we?
MP
I can't rep you.

I posted the vid of what was said. I definitely think this is a spin. I would like to think people actually read or listen to what is said before evaluating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
 
3,502 posts, read 1,819,553 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No, cold hearted is when you lead people to believe that the only way they can get by is by being dependent on someone else for help.
When you suffer a catastrophe, it's really hard to get by without the help of others. Telling people to pull themselves from their bootstraps after their town and home are destroyed is not the most appropriate time or thing to say. I mean you tell that to a slacker or a kid who is struggling with algebra and wants to quit, not to a widow who just lost her husband and kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,900,673 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
When you suffer a catastrophe, it's really hard to get by without the help of others. Telling people to pull themselves from their bootstraps after their town and home are destroyed is not the most appropriate time or thing to say. I mean you tell that to a slacker or a kid who is struggling with algebra and wants to quit, not to a widow who just lost her husband and kids.
Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, but I listened to the vid (which I posted further back). I don't think that is what he was saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,920 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Reputation: 41739
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
His statement is taking out of content. If you or others have listened to his full answer, then it is not poorly. It is making sense.

What he is saying is the State, national guard, charity, neighbors to deal with this. Not the federal government.

I know someone of you said state does not have the money. True only because the federal government is taxing us to death. 50%+ of our income go to federal government in form of taxation. If I am allow to keep all the money I earned, I will sure I can send a few thousand to Red Cross to help our the victims. But because of tax (income tax from both Fed/State/local, property tax, gas tax, etc), which account like 2/3 of my income, I cannot afford it.
i heard what he said last year after the Mississippi floods and it was out of his mouth, not out of context. That was the icing on the cake for me. I knew then I would never support him....He said and I am pare phrasing, if these people who knew their homes could be distrolyed by floods chose to build on the rivcer, they didn't deserve anyone to help them. Well those people he was talking about lived as far away as 2 miles for the river and it was the only time in about 30 years there had been heavy floods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top