U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM

8,233 posts, read 11,325,106 times

Advertisements

So this is the approach from the right... and the right doesn't like it when it comes to their doorstep?

I think FEMA is a waste of money and does little to help anyone. It makes no sense for a state to deal with a disaster as they don't have the resources... So in keeping with the right ... guess they should just figure it out themselves.

Wouldn't want the President to step in so everyone can complain at how he spends money.

When Charlie hit me... it came down to my insurance. Neither the Fed or the state helped me. The people of New Orleans got screwed by the insurance companies..... The feds should have slapped their hands and didn't.

So, I'm not hearing the right wanting the President to bail them out am I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 AM

1,946 posts, read 1,549,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
So this is the approach from the right... and the right doesn't like it when it comes to their doorstep?
Right, and that is the ironic part about it.

There are "Republicans" who have posted in this thread berating Paul. See how suddenly the so-called "small government conservatives" are crying foul when it happened to be a handout they love? Pretty shameless and hypocritical. If anything Paul called them out on their small-government stance.

These folks are not for small government at all. They are statists and welfare queens who loves handouts if it's a handout which they think they can use. We have a word for this - RINO (Republican In Name Only). Either you are for the welfare state or you are against it.

I have no issues with the lefists in the thread who disagreed with Paul. That's fine. That's their declared position and they stand by it. But the so-called "conservatives" disgust me.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 AM

15,613 posts, read 7,998,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Katrina was an $80 billion disaster, yeah I think that might be a bit much to heap onto a state. That is three times the state budget, it is something no state can really prepare for.

FEMA has done a good job in handling other disasters, the agency has its place.
I agree, I think those of you speaking of Katrina really have forgotten how much damage was done and that it was not only damage to NOLA but also other parts of the Gulf Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Why does color have to play into this? What happened in NOLA< was awful, most of us were saddened by this and felt for the victims, but remember a couple of things, and this has nothing to do with color: 1-the then governor didn't react fast enough nor did the mayor. Add to this, the residence were given plenty of warning and chose to ignore it. I see this in Galveston all the time: people are told to get the heck out, they choose to stay: one of these days they will get wiped out as well. They are not black, it isn't a color issue.

That being said, yes, to many it is a handout and they will keep asking and expecting more and more. Should people carry insurance to protect themselves from a natural disaster that probably only hits once in every 30 years but costs a fortune? I don't know the answer, but I do think Dr Paul is off rocker when it comes to this issue. We lived in Cal for many years, just like you do now. We lived through some pretty rough earthquakes, like 1971. And yes, we saw many people take advantage of the government forgiveness loans, but we know many who used the money for what is was inteneded to be used for: rebuilding where the damage was done. I may not think FEMA is run well, but I do think we need some federal government protection. Heck, we send millions to other countries, when disaster hits, why not to our people? I will say again, this has nothing to do with color nor trailer parks for that matter.

Nita
Wanted to say ITA. I am black and really don't feel that it was a black/white/whatever issue during Katrina. I do believe it was a have/have not issue and also one of "it probably won't be that bad" attitude like what you are describing in Galveston.

Also those who are criticizing FEMA are not mentioning how they handle smaller disasters much better than what went on with Katrina, which was an event that was astronomical in our country and something not seen in years and years. Personally I feel the agency learned a lot after Katrina and we have not seen the craziness that went on with FEMA since that occurred. Even during Rita after Katrina, they were better.

Also many fail to realize that many insurance companies did not pay out to victims of Katrina and found any reason they could not to provide funds to cover the losses that their customers endured. And those that did get funds, many did not get enough to rebuild, which is why so many parts of the Gulf are still not populated at the capacity of what they were before.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 AM

5,527 posts, read 8,998,890 times
"Ron Paul doesn't like white people!" - Kanye West 3/4/2012

Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM

72,516 posts, read 84,297,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree, I think those of you speaking of Katrina really have forgotten how much damage was done and that it was not only damage to NOLA but also other parts of the Gulf Region

Wanted to say ITA. I am black and really don't feel that it was a black/white/whatever issue during Katrina. I do believe it was a have/have not issue and also one of "it probably won't be that bad" attitude like what you are describing in Galveston.

Also those who are criticizing FEMA are not mentioning how they handle smaller disasters much better than what went on with Katrina, which was an event that was astronomical in our country and something not seen in years and years. Personally I feel the agency learned a lot after Katrina and we have not seen the craziness that went on with FEMA since that occurred. Even during Rita after Katrina, they were better.

Also many fail to realize that many insurance companies did not pay out to victims of Katrina and found any reason they could not to provide funds to cover the losses that their customers endured. And those that did get funds, many did not get enough to rebuild, which is why so many parts of the Gulf are still not populated at the capacity of what they were before.
I think one has to realize insurance companies do not always pay 100%, thus some do need help from the government.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 AM

212 posts, read 282,893 times
Default when you live "at risk", you SHOULD wise up

and not put yourself more "at risk" than you can handle. Get by really cheaply, someplace much safer, until you can afford proper insurance, or suffer. There's no reason at all for you to be able to use Govt Guns to FORCE me to come to your aid, and that is exactly what FEMA is based upon. Forced taxation so they can waste my money.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is a different issue. If insurance companies cheated the insureds, then it must be addressed with in accordance with the existing laws. There are laws which address this, and does not necessitate the existence of a federal bureaucracy. States have the right to establish their own natural disaster management departments should they wish to do so. Or the state could fund an insurance policy with a private insurer which covers every resident, with taxpayer money. The possibilities are endless and efficient when it comes down to the state/local/private level. We do not need a one-size-fits-all federal mammoth which guzzles taxpayer dollars.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM

212 posts, read 282,893 times
Default no, some do not. they need to PERISH

if they can't take care of themselves, and get off of the backs of those who can, unless voluntary charity helps them out.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 AM

72,516 posts, read 84,297,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Right, and that is the ironic part about it.

There are "Republicans" who have posted in this thread berating Paul. See how suddenly the so-called "small government conservatives" are crying foul when it happened to be a handout they love? Pretty shameless and hypocritical. If anything Paul called them out on their small-government stance.

These folks are not for small government at all. They are statists and welfare queens who loves handouts if it's a handout which they think they can use. We have a word for this - RINO (Republican In Name Only). Either you are for the welfare state or you are against it.

I have no issues with the lefists in the thread who disagreed with Paul. That's fine. That's their declared position and they stand by it. But the so-called "conservatives" disgust me.
I am sure I am one of those Republicans you are referring to: just because some of us believe in smaller government does not believe in seeing everyghing cut out or cut back. Getting some help for natural disasters does not mean "welfare queens" by anymeans. I think you need to look up the meaning of the term.. Answer this question: if your home was distroyed by a natural disaster would you use government funds to help rebuild..?? I will also ask you if your area has ever been damaged by floods, earthquakes, tornadoes or hurricanes?

Nita

Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I am sure I am one of those Republicans you are referring to: just because some of us believe in smaller government does not believe in seeing everyghing cut out or cut back. Getting some help for natural disasters does not mean "welfare queens" by anymeans. I think you need to look up the meaning of the term.. Answer this question: if your home was distroyed by a natural disaster would you use government funds to help rebuild..?? I will also ask you if your area has ever been damaged by floods, earthquakes, tornadoes or hurricanes?
We have had the occasional tornadoes and hurricanes, but is not a very disaster prone area. Even if it is, I don't want the federal government stealing money from you so that I can continue to build in disaster prone areas. When the government has a monopoly on something, then we have no choice but to use it, but what I am advocating is to destroy that monopoly, so that other, more efficient options exist.

People like you fail to comprehend that removing a function from the FEDERAL government doesn't mean that you will never get that service. It can be handled by the states/private sector.

I'm sorry, but advocating for welfare from the government, which is either taxed, printed or borrowed, qualifies for a "welfare queen".

Quote:
I think one has to realize insurance companies do not always pay 100%, thus some do need help from the government.
Are there ANY spheres of life or economy which couldn't use some "help" from the government? No, there isn't. Money doesn't grow on trees for the federal government to "help" everyone for everything.

Are there ANY difference between you RINOs and the liberals? You think this needs some "help from the government". Liberals can name something else which needs "help from the government". In the end, government is "helping" everyone with taxpayer money.

If anyone is wondering why we never shrink government even when Republicans are in power, people like you are the answer.

P.S: Government doesn't actually "help", but just wastes money, but we already know that, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or