Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,461,760 times

Advertisements

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, stood by his libertarian beliefs on Sunday, saying that victims of the violent storms and tornadoes that have battered a band of states in the South and Midwest in recent days should not be given emergency financial aid from the federal government.

"There is no such thing as federal money," Paul said, on CNN’s State of the Union. "Federal money is just what they steal from the states and steal from you and me."

Ron Paul: No Federal Financial Aid for Tornado Victims - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,240,563 times
Paul really should have offered no comment on this one, he might have a point but you don't make this comment after a disaster.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,135,715 times
Could he have had worse timing? Since I am from Kentucky, one of the hardest hit states, I find that very insensitive. I don't know that anyone here is looking for a handout, but if anyone has seen any of the towns hit, it is horrific distaster. I have never really seen anything this widespread and destructive in my life.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 AM

37,939 posts, read 17,769,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Could he have had worse timing? Since I am from Kentucky, one of the hardest hit states, I find that very insensitive. I don't know that anyone here is looking for a handout, but if anyone has seen any of the towns hit, it is horrific distaster. I have never really seen anything this widespread and destructive in my life.
But you as well as others missed the point as usual. Understood since you don't believe in personal responsibility and want a big federal government to take care of you from cradle to grave.

"To say that any accident that happens in the country, send in FEMA, send in the money, the government has all this money—it is totally out of control and it's not efficient," Paul said.

Get rid of the ineffective costly FEMA. As uninformed as you are you probably don't know how bad they handled New Orleans. Or maybe you think the people in Kentucky are too dumb to handle the problems in their own state but I don't. I believe in them. Very independent people.

Ron Paul wants the money to stay with the states and let them handle it. When FEMA came into Texas he said the same thing. "Give us back OUR money and let us handle it." The locals know the area better so they know which parts should get the needed aid. They will not be delayed as much if the ineffective extra layer of government is out of the way.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,150,142 times
So, then, how does Mr. Paul suggest these very large problems be handled when the state that has been battered by the natural disaster doesn't have the money to handle it?

Also, it seems that Texas (his and your home state) has had a highly disproportionate amount of "other states'" money going to it in the form of Federal military, port authority, highway, agricultural, and disaster relief dollars (among other things). Do you both expect to be paying for all of that as well?

It must be nice to be so sure that you have no chance to win an election. It makes it much easier to spout archaic nonsense that doesn't and never has worked throughout our history.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,150,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Paul really should have offered no comment on this one, he might have a point but you don't make this comment after a disaster.
He doesn't have a point. All that those of his ilk do is harken back to the "good ol' days" for all of their talking points. Mr. Paul apparently feels that a looser Federation will cure everything. The problem is, it's exactly what almost killed our country 100 or so years ago. Just remember, even Ayn Rand (RP's goddess) went on Medicare and took Social Security benefits while nearing the end of her days.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,240,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
He doesn't have a point. All that those of his ilk do is harken back to the "good ol' days" for all of their talking points. Mr. Paul apparently feels that a looser Federation will cure everything. The problem is, it's exactly what almost killed our country 100 or so years ago. Just remember, even Ayn Rand (RP's goddess) went on Medicare and took Social Security benefits while nearing the end of her days.
I said he might have a point and that is people should have insurance to protect themselves in case this happens. Where I differ is that I know that insurance doesn't cover everything and some people obviously can't afford insurance. Plus some disasters are just too much for a state to handle. FEMA and government assistance has its place, it would be a mistake to just get rid of it.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
So, then, how does Mr. Paul suggest these very large problems be handled when the state that has been battered by the natural disaster doesn't have the money to handle it?
What state doesn't have money for natural disasters? Why would someone live in a state that has natural disasters and doesnt plan for it? Seems like someone who isn't very smart. Charity from others is another way. Did you miss the part about other states chipping in during 9/11? Maybe you are so used to government handouts you don't believe in charity. As long as government is doing the job of society more are inclined to not give since "they gave at the office".

Quote:
Also, it seems that Texas (his and your home state) has had a highly disproportionate amount of "other states'" money going to it in the form of Federal military, port authority, highway, agricultural, and disaster relief dollars (among other things). Do you both expect to be paying for all of that as well?
LMAO become informed.
Texas receives about as much as they pay in.
The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005

And yes Texas does have more than its fair share of natural disasters. I wish people would build more housing that is able to better combat the elements. Geodesic domes are where its at.

Quote:
It must be nice to be so sure that you have no chance to win an election. It makes it much easier to spout archaic nonsense that doesn't and never has worked throughout our history.
It must be nice to be a sellout that you vote for who you think is going to win instead of on principle.
It makes it much easier to spout big government lies and archaic nonsense that doesn't and never has worked throughout our history.

I'll be waiting for your proof that Ron Pauls polices don't work. Look at the mini depression in the early 1920's. become informed. Otherwise you'll be spouting archaic nonsense like "Texas has had a highly disproportionate amount of "other states'" money going to it" .
When in FACT they haven't

next please.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:14 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,472,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Well, the Obama haters can't have it both ways. Its considered a hand-out when disaster victims are in New Orleans (and Black) yet somehow when the disaster strikes in your backyard its America's duty to provide federal aid.

This is how a Ron Paul would handle any and all disasters that happen over the course of a presidency...turning his back. Better that you guys know now then when a tornado hits your trailer park with a Ron Paul in the White House.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Well, the Obama haters can't have it both ways. Its considered a hand-out when disaster victims are in New Orleans (and Black) yet somehow when the disaster strikes in your backyard its America's duty to provide federal aid.

This is how a Ron Paul would handle any and all disasters that happen over the course of a presidency...turning his back. Better that you guys know now then when a tornado hits your trailer park with a Ron Paul in the White House.
No this is another of your absurd hack jobs making things up concerning Ron Pauls policies. Not surprising since the one you back is a big government failure and has horrible policies. Hows that 8 percent unemployment working out? Ron Paul wants FEMA out of the picture and wants the states to handle it.
Keep trying though it's funny to see how often you make things up about other candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections