U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,011,595 times

Advertisements

is that in their emotional attachment to anyone else as an alternative, they have ignored the giant baggage of each of the other 3.

Newt should have had a much faster track career. His overreach caused his own party to deep six him in the 90s, as he was costing them support. Clinton's popularity, along with an improving economy by election time, would have given BC term #2, but Newt IMO created the BC 1996 electoral landslide. Add in now Newt's outlandish comments every few weeks (poor kids s/b janitors!), and volla its debatable whether RS or NG would get slaughtered by Obama more.

Santorum - 5 votes to raise the debt ceiling with no cuts attached, nor any bills/amendments to do so, submitted. Plus of course, a birth control stance that will widen Obama's plurality with women he already enjoys. One more thing, when he lost his last election , it was by 18 points. Ouch!

Paul - Unfortunately for his supporters, the 1,144 delegates and 270 electors are from our planet. That leaves RP out in the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM

97 posts, read 259,976 times
Santorum is unelectable. No, really, he is.

I like the guy personally, I'm sure he's a standup guy, a great Catholic, a great family man, etc. Yes, some of his comments have been over the top, and some of his positions are well right of the mainstream. I don't agree with him 100% politically, but I'm not going to denigrate him as a person.

If he was running for President of the southeast, then sure, he'd be a shoo-in. But there's more to America than the Southeast.

If he somehow gets nominated, not only will the GOP lose the WH, but probably multiple House seats as well. And erase ANY hope of regaining the Senate. Can you imagine Sen. Scott Brown, locked in a tight re-election battle in MA, having to defend Santorum being at the top of his party's ticket?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,170,133 times
Santorum voted for our money to be spent on an indoor rainforest, a teapot museum, and the bridge to nowhere. Why would any fiscal conservative support Santorum?

Newt is currently married to his third wife after he cheated on his first wife when she had cancer and requested an "open marriage" with his second wife. It's ironic that most of his support comes from Christians who want a candidate to promote family values.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,011,595 times
RS, NG, and RP have always been unelectable against a weak candidate. Against BO, only a strong one has any true chance. While I dislike BO's performance, he is entering his one field of expertise-campaigning.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM

840 posts, read 674,615 times
Bob. Stop smoking whatever it is you are smoking. Less than a week ago the polls showed Ron Paul was the strongest against Obama. But the republitard party just isn't that smart to elect him. So I hope he runs independent and crushes any chance the republitards of a win.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,416,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
is that in their emotional attachment to anyone else as an alternative, they have ignored the giant baggage of each of the other 3.

Newt should have had a much faster track career. His overreach caused his own party to deep six him in the 90s, as he was costing them support. Clinton's popularity, along with an improving economy by election time, would have given BC term #2, but Newt IMO created the BC 1996 electoral landslide. Add in now Newt's outlandish comments every few weeks (poor kids s/b janitors!), and volla its debatable whether RS or NG would get slaughtered by Obama more.

Santorum - 5 votes to raise the debt ceiling with no cuts attached, nor any bills/amendments to do so, submitted. Plus of course, a birth control stance that will widen Obama's plurality with women he already enjoys. One more thing, when he lost his last election , it was by 18 points. Ouch!

Paul - Unfortunately for his supporters, the 1,144 delegates and 270 electors are from our planet. That leaves RP out in the cold.
How is the rejection of Romney any more ironic than the seeming eagerness of people that claim to be conservative to jump on his support bandwagon despite his anything but conservative history?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,841,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

It won't let me rep you, but of course, I agree with your points on this. I don't see why people can't see this.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,815,799 times
None of these candidates has to be the Republican brokered convention candidate. If no one wins on the first vote, they could end up with some of the candidates that already went home. There were several good candidates that went home that are better than anybody left. The change that is really needed is to stop letting those first states that vote decide for everybody else. I think I know who would make a better president just as good as someone in Iowa. No, I will correct that statement. I think I know better who would make a good president than the people in Iowa. They chose Obama!

All states should have their primaries on the same day. Then we could end up with a good choice instead of the mistakes of those first states voting. I am not falling into line any more. Either vote for the candidate I want or lose the election. I am tired of second rate candidates.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,087,274 times
Romney has been the party candidate from the beginning and it would have been near impossible for anyone to beat him. Much of the support for the not Romney candidates is to bring Romney more to the right. It worked. He has a much better tax plan and stand on cutting entitlements then when he started.
The idea that Santorum voted for some pork disqualifies him is a joke. That is the way bills get passed in congress. Look how Obamacare got passed. It was sinful the way votes were bought.
Obama is so beatable, most any of the GOP candidates would beat him. He does not inspire Americans nor provide any leadership. He is just a demagogue and a campaigner.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,841,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
None of these candidates has to be the Republican brokered convention candidate. If no one wins on the first vote, they could end up with some of the candidates that already went home. There were several good candidates that went home that are better than anybody left. The change that is really needed is to stop letting those first states that vote decide for everybody else. I think I know who would make a better president just as good as someone in Iowa. No, I will correct that statement. I think I know better who would make a good president than the people in Iowa. They chose Obama!

All states should have their primaries on the same day. Then we could end up with a good choice instead of the mistakes of those first states voting. I am not falling into line any more. Either vote for the candidate I want or lose the election. I am tired of second rate candidates.

The candidates that went home, went home for a reason...they were flawed candidates in one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or