Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
This doesn't really surprise me at all. I have family on the coast in Mississippi and in Louisiana and they are all backing Romney. It's not because of my influence either, because I haven't talked to them about it. People in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana have a lot of common sense and they want to win this general election. They also want the economy to improve. I would say they put that above all of this other silly 'who's conservative enough' and 'who's from where' and 'who is what religion' nonsense.
It really doesn't matter who they vote for in the General, does it?. My vote here in Texas doesn't really count either. the Republican candidate will ALWays when in ANY deep south state. Do they know any voters who will "go fishin" or is that just a Dem thing? Republicans always seem to be much more motivated to vote than Dems, no matter that they have a lackluster candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 05:22 PM

26,492 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
This might be even more surprising.....also from Rasmussen.....Santorum and Romney head to head in MS...

Romney 46%
Santorum 44%
Somebody else 4%
Undecided 6%
I don't think it is that surprising.

My parents are Gingrich supporters that strongly dislike Santorum and have a favorable view of Romney.

Keep in mind, Romney is winning the cumulative self-identified Republican vote. Santorum is winning the self-identified Democrat vote - by a lot.....I think that is starting to wake a few Republicans up.

Republicans are getting antsy...the GOP moved California and New York back to delay the winner....but all it has caused is anxiety at best. More people are starting to want a winner. Most will conclude Romney in that group.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It really doesn't matter who they vote for in the General, does it?. My vote here in Texas doesn't really count either. the Republican candidate will ALWays when in ANY deep south state. Do they know any voters who will "go fishin" or is that just a Dem thing? Republicans always seem to be much more motivated to vote than Dems, no matter that they have a lackluster candidate.

Those states not long ago were Democratic states. I can see quite a few democrats voting Republican in those states.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Quote:
Memphis is in Tennessee. There are wealthy areas of Mississippi around the Hattiesburg area and on the coast also...Gulfport and Biloxi. Mississipians tend to be more along the lines of establishment Republicans.
Suburbs of Memphis extend into Mississippi (Hernando, Olive Branch).

Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
LOL, that's exactly where I'm at here in Illinois. Even if Obama wasn't from Illinois, there's still no way in hell that this state would vote Republican!

I can certainly empathize with any Republican in this state. Illinois has gotta be top 5 among states least likely to vote Republican. Considering the level of political corruption here, you'd think that would change but it doesn't.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:40 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Those states not long ago were Democratic states. I can see quite a few democrats voting Republican in those states.
well, you know and I know that they were conservative "dixiecrats"- that always voted conservatively by a goodly sized majority. at least since the 1950s, there has been a good proportion between those who identify as Dem at a State/local level and then vote differently at the national level. Adlai Stevenson lost Texas (then a Dem state) both times. JFK barely won Texas, also a Dem state at that time.
Most conservatives have already registered "Republican" down here. they'd simply drop dead if they registered themselves as Democrats. I think that ppl usually register where there are interesting contests. when I was younger, there were very few Republican contenders here in Texas. After Bill Clements won the governorship in 1976 and then Reagan in 1980, I think that more voters started registering as Republican.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Memphis is in Tennessee. There are wealthy areas of Mississippi around the Hattiesburg area and on the coast also...Gulfport and Biloxi. Mississipians tend to be more along the lines of establishment Republicans.
I know Memphis is in Tennessee, however the suburbs do include Mississippi, I was specifically referring to Desoto County.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I find it a bit odd that according to Rasmussen at least Romney is doing better in Mississippi than Alabama. Alabama does have some areas I think Romney would be strong in. The Huntsville area is more moderate than anything in Mississippi. Also while both states tend to be quite poor you tend to have more wealthier areas in Alabama than you do in Mississippi. Huntsvile area has some pockets as does the Birmingham suburbs. In Mississippi the only areas you could say are more fiscally conservative than socially is some small wealthy areas in the Jackson suburbs (not many) and suburban Memphis.
There is more favorable ground for Romney around Jackson then I think you are giving credit for. Madison county is likely to be good for Romney and Rankin should help him out as well, but probably not be as strong for him as Madison. Either way both are substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections