U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 PM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 16,427,618 times
Reputation: 5224

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Well now you've forced me to look it up and ...





The Mormon Church claims 332,582 members in Africa. The largest group is in Nigeria: 98,359 members of their faith in Africa's most populous (and almost entirely black) nation.

I think they've put their past behind them on the issue. I can't say that I've ever met a Mormon that struck me as a wingnut racist type. Bear in mind I've lived in both in Utah and the South, so I've encountered a few Mormons and Southerners. I was actually surprised as the strong undertones of racism that still exist in the South, though the seem to keep it on the down and low.
Africa doesn't count. They'll fall for anything over there. We have a much different history here in the United States, one that has not always been so kind to minorities. Why would any black American choose to become a mormon given all of your history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Greater Washington, DC
1,347 posts, read 920,977 times
Reputation: 235
To go back to the main point, I think, as others have said, African-Americans tend to vote Democratic and Mormons tend to vote Republican. As far as African-Americans overwhelmingly supporting Obama in the primaries and Mormons overwhelmingly supporting Romney in the primaries? Well, voters pick candidates they can relate to. Ideology certainly comes first. But the ideological differences between Hillary vs Barack and Romney vs Santorum vs Gingrich are not as big as the media, or the candidates, would like you to think. (I only leave out Ron Paul because he is ideologically different and that's why his numbers have been more stable than the other candidates, but that's another discussion). Since the ideology is really pretty negligible, primary voters are looking for someone they can relate to. A lot of working class whites connected with Hillary since they liked Bill. Many were leery about Obama, not because of his race, but they couldn't connect with him and they perceived him as being elitist. A lot of Republicans, I will admit, are not connecting with Romney because there is a perception that he is a more or less a robot (perception is the key word, don't think you've tripped me up! ). But African-American voters could relate to Obama's life experiences, at least his time as an organizer in Chicago. And Mormons can relate to Romney. Since they can connect with him, that eliminates the one hurdle that seems to be holding Romney back. So if Romney is the candidate they best connect with AND he is the most electable and most experienced AND he fits their ideology just as well as any other candidate, well it seems logical he would have overwhelming support from that group.
Until there's evidence showing that otherwise Democratic African-Americans would vote for an African-American Republican over a white Democrat or evidence that shows otherwise Republican Mormons would vote for a Mormon Democrat over a non-Mormon Republican, I don't think we should be concerned about the voting behaviors of these two groups. This is completely non-scientific, but I don't know many African-Americans who like Herman Cain/Alan Keyes/Michael Steele, nor do I know many Mormons who like Harry Reid. Both cases have exceptions, but those exceptions are people who vote with the other party all the time, not just for that particular candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Reputation: 41529
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
We have seen each state with a significant mormon popul vote overwhelmingly for romney. Yet, when blacks vote for Obama, they are scapegoated and ridiculed.
I am not sure what you say about blacks is true, but if so, I can tihink of a couple of reasons: 1-many blacks who voted for Obama had probably never even voted before and 2-many voted for him, just because he was black, most Mormons will vote for Romney, partially because he is a Mormon, but mostly because they think he is the best candidate and they are known for always voting. That could play a part.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Reputation: 41529
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I gotta admit, as a person who loves irony, I kinda wanted to see Colin Power or Condalezza Rice be the first black person to vote for President. I just thought it would have been great for the first black president was a Republican. Condi, if she were electable, would have been even better. The first black president, the first woman president and a Republican all in one!!

Something very bizarre happens when a black person runs for office with and R beside their name. They become an "Uncle Tom" who has betrayed their entire race. We saw some of that when Herman Cain was still in the race. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say this: Any black man or woman running as a Republican will get less of the black votes than a white Republican would have.
and we were hoping JC Watts would go further in his political carreer. What do you bet most blacks would not have voted for any of the above. I happen to know a few blacks I worked with in the 90s. They all had reasons for not liking Powell or Watts for that matter. Many libs have trouble with women or minorities that are Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:06 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,848,662 times
Reputation: 6453
I feel people have a right there right, to vote for whom, they honestly and sincerely feel is the absolutely best candidate for the job.

If they like the person's morals, his sincerity, his ability to get the job done, and not put excuses on others, for his own mistakes, be honest, i feel people respect this more, then the cut and dry.

I do understand some peoples frustrations, if you vote a candidate just because, or because he is of a certain race, or religion, you are doing injustice not only to yourself, but to others as well. Unless you honestly believe in your heart, this is the right person for the job of Presidency, who understands business, and can get a rocky economy moving again. That is good, also policies do come into play.

When Obama was running the first time around, i had a younger black women, tell me irately i am voting for Obama, and he is going to be our President, don't care about nothing else, he is black.

I remember trying to ask her if she liked his policies, and how he handled business, that did not matter, all that did, was that he was black. This is the thinking i believe, most have a problem with. Not all people think this way, but a lot do. I find it ignorance on the part of people who vote this way.

And for those of you who say, well in the past you voted for White people, guess what we only have had a black President for how long now, of course we voted for a white person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
The mormon church did not allow black members until the 1980's
The Church has allowed people of African descent to become members since its beginnings in 1830, and there was never a time in its history when there were segregated congregations. Initially, Black men were allowed to hold the Church's priesthood and Joseph Smith, founder of the Church, personally ordained at least one Black man. It was not until roughly 20 years later than a ban against Priesthood ordination was instituted (a number of years after Joseph Smith's death). One of the primary reasons why Mormons were driven out of Missouri is that they were so opposed to slavery.

Quote:
also Mitt Romney was a member of the church when it discriminating against blk and he was 30 yrs old
So was I. Mitt would have actually been 31. I was a couple of months shy of 30. It was one of the most memorable days of my life, and I suspect Mitt probably felt much the same as I did. I remember the day as if it were yesterday. It was June, 1978. I was working in downtown Salt Lake City, at ad advertising agency about two blocks away from LDS Church headquarters. Someone at the agency had a radio on when the announcement was made. It was just before lunch. I was so thrilled to hear the news, that I just couldn't concentrate on my work. I decided to go to lunch a little bit early. As I was crossing the street to go into the mall where I usually got a bite to eat, I became aware of the fact that I had this huge smile on my face. I just couldn't help it. I was so happy that I was grinning from ear to ear. When I realized that, I immediately felt uncomfortable and thought that everybody must wonder what my problem was. Then I looked around and everybody was smiling! It was a wonderful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
LOL. You know what I mean. Why would a black woman albeit a famous black woman join a church that was so outwardly hostile to blacks until 1978?
Would you care to elaborate on what you mean by "outwardly hostile"?

Quote:
That must be one hell of a story.
Yes, it is.

Quote:
Do you have any black members in your congregation?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,583,934 times
Reputation: 1238
The reason why blacks are criticized for voting for Obama is because its a convient excuse, for Obama haters, to point to why Obama won in 2008 and might win in 2012. Blacks have voted for Democrats for last 30 years, but that is ignored by republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,867 posts, read 21,991,669 times
Reputation: 10620
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Africa doesn't count. They'll fall for anything over there.
Oh my gosh! Your bigotry literally knows no bounds, does it? Okay, so Africa doesn't count. Does Harlem? What about Watts?

Quote:
Why would any black American choose to become a mormon given all of your history?
Well, I'm not black, so I can't really tell you. Some of the people who are Black, American, and LDS tell their stories here, though. You might want to read what they have to say.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-11-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Chicago Area
8,006 posts, read 4,177,578 times
Reputation: 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
The reason why blacks are criticized for voting for Obama is because its a convient excuse, for Obama haters, to point to why Obama won in 2008 and might win in 2012. Blacks have voted for Democrats for last 30 years, but that is ignored by republicans.
I think it's really just a microcosm of the greater problem. People tend to vote for people that have the most in common with them. How many times do we see a presidential candidate lose their home state? Shouldn't their home state be just as impartial as the rest of the nation?

And I think it's more than that. Consider that Pennsylvania is probably the only state in the Northeast USA that Santorum is likely to win. People will disregard many of their own strongly held beliefs and opinions just for the novelty of having one of their own as the next POTUS. They'll even set aside whatever reasons they had for voting Senator Santorum out of office by a 17% margin of the vote. Willard didn't stick around, but a liberal state like Massachusetts likely would have voted him out by a large margin, yet in the GOP primary they support him overwhelmingly.

I think it's wrong to mindlessly vote for anyone or anything, but Obama and Romney are hardly unique examples of it. That is just reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top