U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,185,576 times

Advertisements

Romney wins Wyoming, AP reports - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Today is a very good day for Romney. He has won the Wyoming county conventions and caucuses in the US Virgin Islands, the Northern Marina Islands, and Guam and has come in second in the Kansas caucuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 06:32 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,660,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney wins Wyoming, AP reports - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Today is a very good day for Romney. He has won the Wyoming county conventions and caucuses in the US Virgin Islands, the Northern Marina Islands, and Guam and has come in second in the Kansas caucuses.
Rick Santorum wins a state with a population of 2.9 million people.

Mitt Romney wins the smallest state in the country (re population) and three territories which are not allowed to vote -- four jurisdictions in total with less than 1/3rd the population of the state Santorum won -- and Romney gets more delegates.

I'm fascinated by the way the GOP allocates delegates...

Old 03-10-2012, 07:02 PM

8,006 posts, read 4,180,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Rick Santorum wins a state with a population of 2.9 million people.

Mitt Romney wins the smallest state in the country (re population) and three territories which are not allowed to vote -- four jurisdictions in total with less than 1/3rd the population of the state Santorum won -- and Romney gets more delegates.

I'm fascinated by the way the GOP allocates delegates...

John McCain
Mitt Romney
Mike Huckabee

Yeah those crazy nonvoting territories. McCain got them in 2008.

AND THE EVIL DOESN'T STOP THERE!!! THOSE NUTTY DEMOCRATS ARE DOING IT TOO!!!

Barack Obama
Hillary Clinton

In fact, the Democrats are soooo shady that they have completely made up votes. "Americans abroad" and "Texas caucus" (with results opposite to the state of Texas on the map apparently.)

I hope you're with me Green Onions!! Let the campaign to end both parties begin!!

/END SARCASM*

*I really do want to get rid of both parties though.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
John McCain
Mitt Romney
Mike Huckabee

Barack Obama
Hillary Clinton

In fact, the Democrats are soooo shady that they have completely made up votes. "Americans abroad" and "Texas caucus" (with results opposite to the state of Texas on the map apparently.)

I hope you're with me Green Onions!! Let the campaign to end both parties begin!!

/END SARCASM*

Actually, it's not so much the polling of the non-voting territories that I find odd*, it's the utterly skewed way of allocating more delegates to the winner of the group of jurisdictions that have less than 1/3rd of the population than the winner of the much larger jurisdiction.

It would be slightly less absurd if Kansas was a bright blue state -- I understand the logic of weighting delegate allocation based on political affiliation. But Kansas is as red as they come.

* - Though, again, the delocate allocation is completely senseless. 54,000 people in the Northern Marianas Islands, 9 delegates. 2.9 million people in Kansas, 40 delegates (if the delegate allocation were proportional, Kansas would get 537 delegates).

Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's not so much the polling of the non-voting territories that I find odd*, it's the utterly skewed way of allocating more delegates to the winner of the group of jurisdictions that have less than 1/3rd of the population than the winner of the much larger jurisdiction.

It would be slightly less absurd if Kansas was a bright blue state -- I understand the logic of weighting delegate allocation based on political affiliation. But Kansas is as red as they come.

* - Though, again, the delocate allocation is completely senseless. 54,000 people in the Northern Marianas Islands, 9 delegates. 2.9 million people in Kansas, 40 delegates (if the delegate allocation were proportional, Kansas would get 537 delegates).
I'd heard tell that the Dems did some fixing to the brokens in their own system. I don't know enough about what kind of weird math either party uses to be able to comment intelligently.

It is a bit odd that in 2008 Puerto Rico awarded more delegates than Oregon since Puerto Rico doesn't get to vote for President as you mentioned ... but it actually is accurate proportional to the population. More people live in Puerto Rico than Oregon (a stat that has often amused me greatly.)

I'm 100% in favor of fixing primaries. Should be a straight popular vote and that's it. Whether they continue to vote over a span of several months, I don't care one way or the other.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I'd heard tell that the Dems did some fixing to the brokens in their own system. I don't know enough about what kind of weird math either party uses to be able to comment intelligently.

It is a bit odd that in 2008 Puerto Rico awarded more delegates than Oregon since Puerto Rico doesn't get to vote for President as you mentioned ... but it actually is accurate proportional to the population. More people live in Puerto Rico than Oregon (a stat that has often amused me greatly.)

I'm 100% in favor of fixing primaries. Should be a straight popular vote and that's it. Whether they continue to vote over a span of several months, I don't care one way or the other.
It's hard to know where to begin to 'fix' the primaries -- they might just make them worse. Remember that in 2012, the GOP 'fixed' things to prevent a relatively quick win like McCain engineered in 2008. And now ... well ...
"This was the dumbest idea anybody ever had!"
-Chris Christie

Superdelegates ... prying away 'first' status from Iowa and New Hampshire ... winner-take-all or proportional ... and these complicated hybrid caucus/primaries, with formulas and % thresholds and some winner-take-all, some proportional, some by CD ... everyone has some turf staked out that they'll defend.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:40 PM

16,707 posts, read 9,071,576 times
Quote:

John McCain
Mitt Romney
Mike Huckabee

Barack Obama
Hillary Clinton

/END SARCASM*

People say it is embarrassing that Republican Romney has won a lot of "blue" states....but it looks like Democrat Obama won a lot of "red" states and it was Hillary winning the "blue" ones.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
People say it is embarrassing that Republican Romney has won a lot of "blue" states....but it looks like Democrat Obama won a lot of "red" states and it was Hillary winning the "blue" ones.
Yeah, interesting point! Now that I look at it, Obama swept the South which ain't exactly the bluest part of the USA.

I still want to abolish both parties though. I really do.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
What was a "blue state" in spring 2008? How about this metric -- all those states that both John Kerry in 2004 and Al Gore in 2000 and Bill Clinton in both 1996 and 1992 managed to win. That seems a good benchmark for "blueness".

Those states (& DC) were:
Maine
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
DC
Pennsylvania
Michigan
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
California
Oregon
Washington
Hawaii

Obama won 12, Clinton won 7

I'm not seeing the "Clinton won the blue states!" idea here.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
What was a "blue state" in spring 2008? How about this metric -- all those states that both John Kerry in 2004 and Al Gore in 2000 and Bill Clinton in both 1996 and 1992 managed to win. That seems a good benchmark for "blueness".

Those states (& DC) were:
Maine
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
DC
Pennsylvania
Michigan
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
California
Oregon
Washington
Hawaii

Obama won 12, Clinton won 7

I'm not seeing the "Clinton won the blue states!" idea here.
Not the most accurate way of comparing things since California and New York have a TON of delegates while Connecticut, Delaware and Vermont have very few.

Just keepin ya honest. Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or