Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But on campuses, the campaign faces a different kind of problem than with most groups they’re trying to re-energize to 2008 levels: It’s literally different people. Even the students who arrived for orientation around the time Obama gave his convention speech will be gone by November, replaced by new ones who don’t think much about George W. Bush, the Iraq War or any of the other factors that motivated a near-movement in 2008.

That’s helping produce stark poll results: 48 percent of voters 18-29 said in a USA Today/Gallup survey last month that they were enthusiastic about voting in the presidential election, down from 76 percent at the same point in 2008.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/73835.html#ixzz1own5hfbL

It seems that Bammer isn't as appealing in 2012 as he was at this point in 2008. The problems are piling up for this President on his quest for re-election. Maybe it's because his election was a Fluke of Epic Proportions and people are realizing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It was partially because of the weariness of the Bush years. For better or for worse he was definitely the "hope and change" candidate in a sea of sameness. What happens next time is another ball game.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:42 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
A lot of his "minions" have wised up and jumped ship. They may not vote for the GOP candidate, but their absence will speak volumes at the polls.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It was partially because of the weariness of the Bush years. For better or for worse he was definitely the "hope and change" candidate in a sea of sameness. What happens next time is another ball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
A lot of his "minions" have wised up and jumped ship. They may not vote for the GOP candidate, but their absence will speak volumes at the polls.
I think you hit on something here. I believe a sizeable portion of his base will sit at home this time. Black people achieved a "first black President" in 2008 so that's out of the way.......young people don't have to contend with GWB.....Independents just aren't thrilled with the guy. All that adds up to a turnout problem in 2012 for Barack Obama.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
If it's true that fewer Republicans are turning out for presidential primaries than they did in 2008, it may indicate little enthusiasm as to who becomes the Republican presidential candidate as well.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times
he got the independent vote in 2008 because we were so tired of wars and we are still tired of wars.

but this time we are also tired of 0% interest rates and bail outs of the tbtfs. yep we are tired of bailing out failure. and them passing ndaa the sopa the pipa the hr347
the list goes on
etc

so which one will represent the real people?

romney vs obama?

oh well then that means no one will vote and they will all commit suicide then. watch for the lowest turn out of independents in usa history if that happens.

ron paul vs obama may be the real hope and real change this country needs but will the powers that be let this happen?

well will we fight for it to happen? who knows.
all we can do is try our best to fight evil.

NO MORE VOTING FOR EVIL.
stop letting media tell us whom to vote for research.
STOP VOTING FOR LESSER OF THE 2 evils and vote on principle for once.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
romney vs obama?

oh well then that means no one will vote and they will all commit suicide then. watch for the lowest turn out of independents in usa history if that happens.

ron paul vs obama may be the real hope and real change this country needs but will the powers that be let this happen?

well will we fight for it to happen? who knows.
all we can do is try our best to fight evil.

NO MORE VOTING FOR EVIL.
stop letting media tell us whom to vote for research.
STOP VOTING FOR LESSER OF THE 2 evils and vote on principle for once.
Well, hell, it it means voting for the lesser of the two evils, then I'd just sooner leave the presidenatial portion of the ballot blank and hope the machine doesne't spit out my ballot.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I do see him sleeping with those voters but I don't think he will need them to win... keep in mind that he hasn't really started a media blitz with his mountains of cash...

Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Yes, Freightshaker! My hubby of many years comes from a long, multigenerational line of Democrats, and though he had awakened and voted conservatively, many if not most of them voted for Obama.

It was not one full year into his reign and our phone rang with complaints! First it was about his attempt to make Veterans pay more of their own healthcare, the top dude of the largest Vet. association met with BO, and left that meeting dismayed, and discouraged. My inlaws are liberals, but gave their lives to military service and were shocked.

Now? we are still getting calls and I have heard hubby say multiple times, half chiding the family he loves..."He's YOUR president so why are you calling me? silence...then, compassionately saying words to them like, and more softly, "I know, I know....." when they are saying "but!" about why they voted for him.

They are awake or at least awakening. *(at least the two that phone the most, are.)

Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Obama promised alot and broke his promises. Everyone thought it was hope and change. Now we don't have any hope and lucky to have some change left in our pockets.. gas tank takes the dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections