U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,243 posts, read 15,272,205 times
Reputation: 4583

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why do you say the repubs are suppressing?
Oh I don't know, maybe because it has been a 2 yr program funded by the Koch brothers and active in 30 or so States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM
 
Location: NC
1,946 posts, read 1,538,289 times
Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am a registered Republican, but I do have to say that I get the impression that most GOP-ers are racists and sexists, and VERY FRICKIN' WRINKLY OLD. (My precinct meeting looked like the neighborhood retirement home getting together for game of scrabble.) The demographic of the GOP is almost entirely white, and their flagship policy, the War on Drugs, is as racist as it can be, unfairly targeting minorities.

The only lifeline GOP currently have is the influx of young people brought in by Paul. If they get to push the party libertarian, then they will stay, but if not, they will leave. If they leave, then we might as well dig a pit and bury the GOP, because as the seniors pass away, there would be no one to replace them.

The other factor working against the GOP is that the minorities are growing in population and at some point will overtake the whites as the majority.

I blame all this on GOP's own IDIOCY. They would have been a great party, if they would just focus on the fiscal issues. But instead, they ignore the fiscal issues and focus on CRAP like abortion and gay marriage and this alienates people who would have otherwise been drawn to the party, and this will be GOP's downfall. The "family values" IDIOTS think that God sent them to do all this, so there is no arguing with them.

GOP, by their STUPID policies, alienates women, young people, LGBT & minorities, and I don't see it changing soon. No wonder the Democratic party is called 'The Big Tent'. People flocking to the Democratic party are doing so, not because they love the Democratic party, but because they are disgusted with the Republican party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Riverside
4,088 posts, read 3,680,551 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why do you say the repubs are suppressing?
Lower turn-outs always favor Republicans in any given election, because older white Americans are the most consistent voters, and they tend to be conservatives. One way to ensure lower turn-outs to to prevent people from voting. One way to do that is to limit the number of people who are eligible to vote.

The voter ID laws being passed in the Red States are products of a conservative legislative puppy mill. It is believed that, if enacted nationwide, they will prevent about five million people, who were eligible last election, from voting. The majority of those ineligable voters will come from groups that typically vote Democratic.

The conservatives have gotten a little more sophisticated since the poll tax and literacy test days, but intent remains the same. Shave a few percentage points off your opponents vote tally by keeping his supporters away from the polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 09:13 AM
 
1,395 posts, read 1,118,887 times
Reputation: 285
That's the funny thing about con artists. Some folks are catching on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I am a registered Republican, but I do have to say that I get the impression that most GOP-ers are racists and sexists, and VERY FRICKIN' WRINKLY OLD. (My precinct meeting looked like the neighborhood retirement home getting together for game of scrabble.) The demographic of the GOP is almost entirely white, and their flagship policy, the War on Drugs, is as racist as it can be, unfairly targeting minorities.

The only lifeline GOP currently have is the influx of young people brought in by Paul. If they get to push the party libertarian, then they will stay, but if not, they will leave. If they leave, then we might as well dig a pit and bury the GOP, because as the seniors pass away, there would be no one to replace them.

The other factor working against the GOP is that the minorities are growing in population and at some point will overtake the whites as the majority.

I blame all this on GOP's own IDIOCY. They would have been a great party, if they would just focus on the fiscal issues. But instead, they ignore the fiscal issues and focus on CRAP like abortion and gay marriage and this alienates people who would have otherwise been drawn to the party, and this will be GOP's downfall. The "family values" IDIOTS think that God sent them to do all this, so there is no arguing with them.

GOP, by their STUPID policies, alienates women, young people, LGBT & minorities, and I don't see it changing soon. No wonder the Democratic party is called 'The Big Tent'. People flocking to the Democratic party are doing so, not because they love the Democratic party, but because they are disgusted with the Republican party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral
5,495 posts, read 6,091,029 times
Reputation: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Blacks are notorious for voting according to race. Do you really think that even 10% of Black voters would vote against Obama? It wouldn't matter if the GOP promised even more give aways than him. You can't say that about white voters. They voted for Obama in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Greater Washington, DC
1,347 posts, read 921,189 times
Reputation: 235
How exactly is the GOP suppressing the black vote? And don't give me the tired line about voter ID laws. Anyone who seeks an ID has the opportunity to get one. The state doesn't have certain quotas where it will only allow a certain percentage of the black population, a certain percentage of the white population, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,243 posts, read 15,272,205 times
Reputation: 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
How exactly is the GOP suppressing the black vote? And don't give me the tired line about voter ID laws. Anyone who seeks an ID has the opportunity to get one. The state doesn't have certain quotas where it will only allow a certain percentage of the black population, a certain percentage of the white population, etc, etc.
Your 3rd sentence is false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Riverside
4,088 posts, read 3,680,551 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
How exactly is the GOP suppressing the black vote? And don't give me the tired line about voter ID laws. Anyone who seeks an ID has the opportunity to get one. The state doesn't have certain quotas where it will only allow a certain percentage of the black population, a certain percentage of the white population, etc, etc.
You are discounting the effectiveness of the new voter ID laws, before the results are even in. But one hint is how hard the GOP is pushing for them, and how hard the Dems are resisting.

If you don't believe the voter ID laws are discriminatory, how do you account for DOJ Civil Rights Division blocking such laws in SC and Texas? Or the federal judge who issued an injunction locking Wisconsin's law yesterday.

How are people who lack ID supposed to get ID? How are the poor supposed to come up with $25 bucks for a new ID? How are out of state students supposed to vote if their student ID is not accepted? How are the handicapped and disabled supposed to get ID? Why does Texas accept a gun permit, but not a student ID? Voting is already a chore that only half of Americans bother to do anyway. How many of the newly disinfranchised will jump through the hoops to become eligable again vs how many will just say "the hell with it"?

And just how big is the problem of voter fraud at the polls anyway, that it justifies all these laws? Practically non-existent. There are 100,000,000 votes cast in a presidential election. There are a mere handful of cases nation-wide where someone walked into a polling booth, pretending to be someone else.

No, the voter ID states don't have "quotas". They just toss out the gill net, knowing from ALEC's actuary tables that, while they'll incidentally DQ some Republicans, the majority will be Dems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 AM
 
3,421 posts, read 2,584,450 times
Reputation: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Blacks are notorious for voting according to race. Do you really think that even 10% of Black voters would vote against Obama? It wouldn't matter if the GOP promised even more give aways than him. You can't say that about white voters. They voted for Obama in 2008.
How can you say blacks are notorious for voting according to race when we've only have 1 black president. Blacks have voted for democrats the past 40 years. Why would it be different when Obama ran for president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM
 
1,395 posts, read 1,118,887 times
Reputation: 285
I had folks tell me that wouldn't vote for a candidate b/c he wasn't aa (B'ham mayoral election). The funny thing was the candidate was very light-skinned.

Gotta love old folks, y'know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top