U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,845,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well that would preclude, of course, Rick Santorum," Romney said when asked if he would put a conservative on the ticket as the Republican nominee.

Mitt Romney: "Look at his record. I find it interesting that he continues to describe himself as the real conservative. This is a guy who voted against the right to work, this is the guy who voted to fund Planned Parenthood, this is the person who voted to raise the debt ceiling five teams."

Neil Cavuto, FOX Business: "So is that your way of saying you would not put Rick Santorum on your ticket?"

Romney: "It's my way of saying that Rick Santorum is not a person who is an economic conservative, to my right. I'm saying I'm a conservative, I give him credit for being a conservative, but not a fiscal conservative. His record does not suggest he has the fiscal conservative chops that I have."

Romney: Picking A VP That Is Conservative Would "Preclude" Santorum | RealClearPolitics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,845,124 times
This is a relief to me, because I was getting concerned that the GOP would try to force Romney to put Santorum on the ticket. That would be a disaster IMO.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,019,107 times
I'm also relieved; Sanatarium would be as big a mistake as Palin was. There are plenty of sane fiscal conservatives for Romney to pick from, and the contraception backlash demonstrates once again, while we are a fiscally conservative leaning nation, we are not a socially conservative leaning nation.

Its long past time to reduce the GOP VP pool to the sane mainstream American type candidates, and banish the extremists to the also rans they truly are.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,111,780 times
Romney should go with someone from the South or West. I'm glad he's not looking at Santorum. It's a bad fit.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM

12,264 posts, read 15,130,689 times
Romney needs a Westerner to balance his Eastern roots, a woman to counteract his gender gap and a Latino to shore up his weak Hispanic support. All signs point to Susanna Martinez.

Last edited by pvande55; 04-02-2012 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Elliptical clause

Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,659,931 times
More like picking a candidate that would bring nothing to the ticket precludes Santorum ...

Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,659,931 times
All nominees in recent memory who have thin foreign policy credentials (and all Governors) go with someone with a serious foreign policy background. Further, there is nothing about Mitt Romney -- absolutely nothing -- that suggests he's a McCain-esque gambler who is going to role the dice and pick some unknown with a relatively thin resume. All these ideas that he's going to pick this ethnicity or that gender just to grab this or that demographic is silly. And it isn't very flattering of Romney.

More likely, we'll see a very serious pick. It will probably be viewed as boring, but it will really be the sort of pick one expects a potential President to pick. Not a Palin, not a Quayle, not some exciting identity-politics pick.

Prediction -- Romney will not pick a Governor unless it is a Governor who has recently had extensive experience in Congress and/or the Executive Branch.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 PM

71,689 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
This is a relief to me, because I was getting concerned that the GOP would try to force Romney to put Santorum on the ticket. That would be a disaster IMO.
dixie, I don't think the Republican establishment wants Santorum. I am not quite sure where you are coming from on this. The insiders are looking at Rubio, Crishie or maybe even Ryan, but not Satorum. He is too socially conservative and fiscally moderate.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 PM

16,702 posts, read 9,066,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Romney needs a Westerner to balance his Eastern roots, a woman to counteract his gender gap and a Latino to shore up his weak Hispanic support. All signs point to Susanna Martinez.
Does she also have a peanut allergy? Romney is also struggling among that group!

/jk

Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM

71,689 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
she is popular in NM and yes, Hispanic, but I am afraid she could end up being another Palin. I think she is great I will add, just don't think her time has come. Remember everyone keeps talking hispanic vote, yes it is important but let't really examine this: Ca will go Obama regardless, AZ and Texas will go Republican regardless and NM only has 5 electorial votes. NY is a biggie but will most likely to truely needing the Hispanic vote we are pretty much down to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or