U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM
 
Location: NY
12,263 posts, read 9,411,476 times
Reputation: 8028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

President Obama's second term, a sure bet.
Sadly, I think you're right. I don't believe for a moment this has anything to do with politics or who's conservative or not. The evangelicals are determined NOT to vote for a Mormon, so instead they're voting for a Catholic, who I know from experience they detest almost as much as Mormons. And IMO they won't vote for him in the general election.

I really wish you folks would go form your own third party and let the GOP rebuild without you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,586 posts, read 33,575,550 times
Reputation: 51679
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
You must not read any other thread starters? You are far from the only one who realizes Romney is weak and a bad choice for GOP. And Santorum doesn't appeal to many either. It's a disaster for GOP...but more so for USA.

>> ''One sure, brutal fact and truth came forth from tonight's Alabama and Mississippi Primaries. The GOP has NO Solid candidate they can put forth for nomination for POTUSA.''
I'm a numbers person. I don't think the media made the case for just how weak he is using their own data because they're afraid of helping the guys they don't want (and they think the public is too dumb to understand it or we have too short of an attention span for them to talk about it). Think about it. Romney didn't carry Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Alaska or Maine, they wanted NOT Romney, but he won those states. 64 percent of the states that didn't vote last night but already voted don't want him and we don't really know what Virginia thinks. 64 percent! That's not "just weak" it's pitiful for the guy they were shoving down our throats and who is spending enough money in states to stimulate their economies.

You probably know there were rumors all last week about Gingrich bringing Perry onto his ticket and running together. As much as I like Rick Perry, I think it's Romney who needs to bring on his VP choice for the primary ride and he better pick some Conservative that people actually like.

And by the way, I think Romney is nice enough and that he's qualified. I just have absolutely no idea what he stands for because he flip flops on everything. I don't trust him. I especially don't trust him with Supreme Court picks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 AM
 
5,329 posts, read 6,119,899 times
Reputation: 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

***Virginia: no one else on the ballot vs Romney 59.5 percent
WRONG: Ron Paul was on the ballot and therefore was an option for a voter who didn't want to vote for Romney, making Paul a "not Romney" option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So of the 23 states (excluding Virginia that didn't have a NOT Romney choice on the ballot because we aren't counting Ron Paul voters) that voted, 14 states (or 64 percent) preferred NOT Romney.
Why aren't you counting Ron Paul votes in Virginia? Are you making the assumption that every vote for Ron Paul is from a die-hard Ron Paul supporter who would choose him over every other possible GOP candidate? If so, you are very wrong.

There were several interviews with Virginia voters on primary day that made it clear that the Ron Paul votes included votes from those who weren't really Paul supporters, but voted for him as a protest against the state not allowing other candidates on the VA ballot. Gingrich and Santorum voters voted Ron Paul, making their votes "not-Romney" votes. I read an interview with a guy who had hoped to vote for Herman Cain, since that wasn't an option, he voted for Paul, because he sure wasn't going to vote for Romney. A lot of "I just don't trust Romney" quotes as well.

Ron Paul got 40% in Virginia, one of his biggest results ever - do you seriously think there is that big of a Ron Paul base in Virginia? Downstate Virginia is very conservative and religious, with parts of the state very similar to Tennessee, which went to Santorum. For people of that mindset, if they went to the polls on primary day, who do you think they voted for? Not-Romney.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 03-14-2012 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Floribama
14,729 posts, read 31,167,632 times
Reputation: 13480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Sadly, I think you're right. I don't believe for a moment this has anything to do with politics or who's conservative or not. The evangelicals are determined NOT to vote for a Mormon, so instead they're voting for a Catholic, who I know from experience they detest almost as much as Mormons. And IMO they won't vote for him in the general election.

I really wish you folks would go form your own third party and let the GOP rebuild without you.
Yes they will, over keeping Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 AM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,422,142 times
Reputation: 4441
Even though I voted for another Rep candidate at the last minute, prior to that I liked Mitt, still do.
I just wish he could relate a lot more to the common man.
He just comes across as Richie Rich wanting to be one of the normal kids.
Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Greater Washington, DC
1,347 posts, read 920,871 times
Reputation: 235
What do the numbers look like for "Not Rick Santorum" or "Not Newt Gingrich?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,586 posts, read 33,575,550 times
Reputation: 51679
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
WRONG: Ron Paul was on the ballot and therefore was an option for a voter who didn't want to vote for Romney, making Paul a "not Romney" option.



Why aren't you counting Ron Paul votes in Virginia? Are you making the assumption that every vote for Ron Paul is from a die-hard Ron Paul supporter who would choose him over every other possible GOP candidate? If so, you are very wrong.

There were several interviews with Virginia voters on primary day that made it clear that the Ron Paul votes included votes from those who weren't really Paul supporters, but voted for him as a protest against the state not allowing other candidates on the VA ballot. Gingrich and Santorum voters voted Ron Paul, making their votes "not-Romney" votes. I read an interview with a guy who had hoped to vote for Herman Cain, since that wasn't an option, he voted for Paul, because he sure wasn't going to vote for Romney. A lot of "I just don't trust Romney" quotes as well.

Ron Paul got 40% in Virginia, one of his biggest results ever - do you seriously think there is that big of a Ron Paul base in Virginia? Downstate Virginia is very conservative and religious, with parts of the state very similar to Tennessee, which went to Santorum. For people of that mindset, if they went to the polls on primary day, who do you think they voted for? Not-Romney.
I think the NOT Romney people didn't go to the polls and Ron Paul got Ron Paul voters and some NOT Romney voters. I had to be consistent. If I didn't count Paul in the other states, I couldn't do it in Virginia.

"Mitt Romney easily won a poor turnout presidential primary in Virginia Tuesday, where he was one of only two candidates on the ballot."

Mitt Romney Wins Virginia Primary With Lethargic Voter Turnout CBS DC

"Voters were few and far between on Super Tuesday in Southwest Virginia."

SWVA voter turnout terribly low for Super Tuesday | WSLS 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,230 posts, read 14,251,947 times
Reputation: 15723
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Its incredible that the community organizer has taken the coutry as far down as he has and people think he is doing a good job. 2 years having control of the house and senate and he did nothing.

Obama voters are the people that want things from the government. They have no understanding of the role of government. JFK is spinning in his grave because all of the democrats got it backwards. It has gone from "ask not what your country can do for you..." to "what do I get free from the government?"
Maybe you are right. Maybe you are wrong. It doesn't matter either way. Obama is going to win a second term. You know it, and I know it.

It was on the Republicans not to mess this election up, but they went ahead and did it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Greater Washington, DC
1,347 posts, read 920,871 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Maybe you are right. Maybe you are wrong. It doesn't matter either way. Obama is going to win a second term. You know it, and I know it.
Why are you so certain? It seems like many on the far right are predicting a repeat of 1972 for the Democrats and many on the left are predicting a repeat of 1996. Neither is going to happen, and it will be a very close race. More like 2004, which could have easily gone the other way if any small factor were changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
 
8,758 posts, read 8,843,291 times
Reputation: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm just saying if Romney is the candidate there will be an awful lot of states and people "settling" for a guy they don't want and the numbers prove it once you realize that even in 5 states he won, he really didn't pull in the majority of votes and Florida, Michigan (your state) and Ohio aren't small potatoes, either.


Your post proves nothing of the sort. You could go back to other primaries for years and if there were 3 or 4 candidates and you add the numbers up for the three losers they will often outnumber the winners. I am not sure you can find a primary race where four people stayed in this long or where this many people were even running for long. If the leader were constantly winnning every state in a landslide victory, the others would be out by now...that is what is supposed to happen and is what has happened historically. The Republican party has never run a primary in the way they are running it now either which makes things much more difficult in one candidate wrapping it up. This whole primary has been manipulated to go this way from the beginning.

Here is the popular vote as of right now:

Romney 3,477,020
Santorum 2,286,339
Gingrich 2,106,200
Paul 949,914


That is a spread of +1,190,681. It is pretty obvious that Romney to date is the candidate most people who have voted want to be the nominee...it's not even close. If one or two of these candidates had had the good sense to get out, Romney would have gotten even more of the vote.

Last edited by dixiegirl7; 03-15-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top