Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,163,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Going through a managed bankruptcy doesn't mean a company ceases to exist, you do realize GM went through bankruptcy.

I doubt they realize it or even understand it. Unless there is a Youtube clip that explains or says it...lol. That is about as deep as the research gets for some here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Puerto Ricans themselves think they are White ... see the US Census data from the island. Something like 85% of Puerto Ricans claim to be White when in reality they are "Hispanic".

Yes...it's called "assimilation." Puerto Ricans have the good fortune to be fluent in two languages...English and Spanish. The area that I live in has always been diverse, as people from Russia to Ireland came here to work in the coal mines. I was raised with Italians, Sicilians, Czechs, Poles, Scots, Lithuanians, Montenegrans, Swedes, Britons, Welsh and more. They spoke their individual languages at home as well as speaking English, and no one dared suggest that they stop that practice. "Hispanics" exist as a group solely defined by the common use of the Spanish language; it is comprised of many nationalities and cultures. In Spain, you will find many white residents; the darker Spaniards reflect an infusion of Moorish or Mediterranean blood. For Santorum to insult the bi-lingual citizens of Guam, insult them and learn nothing from it is disturbing. On viewing the results of exit polling in another thread, it's clear that Santorum draws much support from voters with little or no college...that's disturbing as well. When did it become a sign of intelligence to not recognize the benefits of knowing other languages? It's no secret that our Founding Fathers knew Latin, and most spoke French as well...Jefferson and Franklin did not live there and expect the French to be fluent in English. Santorum is not presidential material; he's uninformed and inflexible. The idea of Santorum near nuclear weapons? Wouldn't be prudent.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Yes...it's called "assimilation." Puerto Ricans have the good fortune to be fluent in two languages...English and Spanish. The area that I live in has always been diverse, as people from Russia to Ireland came here to work in the coal mines. I was raised with Italians, Sicilians, Czechs, Poles, Scots, Lithuanians, Montenegrans, Swedes, Britons, Welsh and more. They spoke their individual languages at home as well as speaking English, and no one dared suggest that they stop that practice. "Hispanics" exist as a group solely defined by the common use of the Spanish language; it is comprised of many nationalities and cultures. In Spain, you will find many white residents; the darker Spaniards reflect an infusion of Moorish or Mediterranean blood. For Santorum to insult the bi-lingual citizens of Guam, insult them and learn nothing from it is disturbing. On viewing the results of exit polling in another thread, it's clear that Santorum draws much support from voters with little or no college...that's disturbing as well. When did it become a sign of intelligence to not recognize the benefits of knowing other languages? It's no secret that our Founding Fathers knew Latin, and most spoke French as well...Jefferson and Franklin did not live there and expect the French to be fluent in English. Santorum is not presidential material; he's uninformed and inflexible. The idea of Santorum near nuclear weapons? Wouldn't be prudent.

I completely agree. It was completely uninformed and insulting of Santorum to say such a thing. He should do his homework before he addresses issues such as this. He really should know better. I am like you on the point of languages and when did it become a bad thing to know more than one. I studied a total of 8 years of foreign language during high school and as a college undergraduate. I hope I didn't waste my time or wouldn't be looked at in a bad light for learning another countries language...as a matter of fact I learned two, French and Spanish.

We live a city in southern Ky and believe it or not, it is extremely diverse. My son's high school had 18 different languages spoken there. We are an international refuge city and have a large university here which contributes to this diversity. My point is, this country is so much more diverse than people like Santorum realize all over...not just in the larger cities, but also in the so-called flyover states, so comments he makes like this **** off more people than he knows.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I completely agree. It was completely uninformed and insulting of Santorum to say such a thing. He should do his homework before he addresses issues such as this. He really should know better. I am like you on the point of languages and when did it become a bad thing to know more than one. I studied a total of 8 years of foreign language during high school and as a college undergraduate. I hope I didn't waste my time or wouldn't be looked at in a bad light for learning another countries language...as a matter of fact I learned two, French and Spanish.

We live a city in southern Ky and believe it or not, it is extremely diverse. My son's high school had 18 different languages spoken there. We are an international refuge city and have a large university here which contributes to this diversity. My point is, this country is so much more diverse than people like Santorum realize all over...not just in the larger cities, but also in the so-called flyover states, so comments he makes like this **** off more people than he knows.

What scares me is that Santorum first lied about and insulted the Danes, and didn't learn anything. Then he insulted the people of Guam, and still
learned nothing from it. Now it's the Puerto Ricans, and he still doesn't
get it; is he obtuse or a religious fanatic so filled with hubris that he thinks it's fine to lie about a foreign country and attempt to dictate language to
people who value theirs as an integral part of their culture? IMHO it may come out that Santorum is one of those Catholics who worship like Mel Gibson, and want the Mass said in Latin, not the native language of the country of each individual country. Whatever the case, he would clearly
be a disaster in foreign relations and civil rights.

About Mel Gibson

[quote]
In the interview with Il Giornale he said:"I believe in God. My love of religion was given to me by my father." Mel Gibson allegedly shares many beliefs with his father, Hutton. The elder Gibson "is an outspoken critic of the Catholic Church and a vocal adherent of the 'sedevacantist' movement, so called from the Latin phrase meaning 'empty seat'..." 2 The group is a subset of the Catholic Traditionalist movement, and has a total membership of only a few thousand adherents. They deviate from the Roman Catholic church in some fundamental ways. They believe:
That the office of pope in the Roman Catholic Church is currently vacant.That every pope since 1960 has been spurious. Many of the reforms of the Vatican II council (1962 to 1965) are heretical.The mass is to be conducted in Latin, not in the native language of the people.Mary is regarded as a co-redemptrix and mediatrix, sharing these powers with Jesus Christ. [end quote]

Well, maybe not that last one, huh?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 PM

[quote=Evenstar51;23428555]What scares me is that Santorum first lied about and insulted the Danes, and didn't learn anything. Then he insulted the people of Guam, and still
get it; is he obtuse or a religious fanatic so filled with hubris that he thinks it's fine to lie about a foreign country and attempt to dictate language to
people who value theirs as an integral part of their culture? IMHO it may come out that Santorum is one of those Catholics who worship like Mel Gibson, and want the Mass said in Latin, not the native language of the country of each individual country. Whatever the case, he would clearly

About Mel Gibson

Quote:
In the interview with Il Giornale he said:"I believe in God. My love of religion was given to me by my father." Mel Gibson allegedly shares many beliefs with his father, Hutton. The elder Gibson "is an outspoken critic of the Catholic Church and a vocal adherent of the 'sedevacantist' movement, so called from the Latin phrase meaning 'empty seat'..." 2 The group is a subset of the Catholic Traditionalist movement, and has a total membership of only a few thousand adherents. They deviate from the Roman Catholic church in some fundamental ways. They believe:
That the office of pope in the Roman Catholic Church is currently vacant.That every pope since 1960 has been spurious. Many of the reforms of the Vatican II council (1962 to 1965) are heretical.The mass is to be conducted in Latin, not in the native language of the people.Mary is regarded as a co-redemptrix and mediatrix, sharing these powers with Jesus Christ. [end quote]

Well, maybe not that last one, huh?

Yeah, that last one would give a woman too much importance for him. I didn't know this about Mel Gibson. I knew he was not quite right when drunk, but this is odd. I am not sure what the story is on Santorum, but he acts more like some sort of evangelical religious member than a Catholic. I know a lot of Catholics, my father's family are Catholic and none of them act like this. When people are so judgemental of others it makes me suspicious of them. They are usually the very ones with something they are hiding.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,658,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Being a Romney apologist, I guess you just don't understand what it means for a candidate to have a belief, make it known, and then stand by it.
I'm not getting in the ''apologist'' accusation...but Agree with Santorum's stance here...and him standing for his 'belief.'

Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 AM

[quote=dixiegirl7;23428626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
What scares me is that Santorum first lied about and insulted the Danes, and didn't learn anything. Then he insulted the people of Guam, and still

About Mel Gibson

Yeah, that last one would give a woman too much importance for him. I didn't know this about Mel Gibson. I knew he was not quite right when drunk, but this is odd. I am not sure what the story is on Santorum, but he acts more like some sort of evangelical religious member than a Catholic. I know a lot of Catholics, my father's family are Catholic and none of them act like this. When people are so judgemental of others it makes me suspicious of them. They are usually the very ones with something they are hiding.

Mel started his own Catholic Church, and it folllows many of the tenets
described above...the beliefs of his father. I'm not claiming that Santorum follows these practices, but it wouldn't be a surprise. You're right; the judging is best left to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections