U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,583,684 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge democrat and even I think this article is BS. As long as this country is run by rich, white old men, the GOP will always be a strong party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 PM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Read the rest of Zakaria's analysis here: Zakaria: The Republican Party

Way to go, GOP.
Certainly this isn't a slanted, left wing opinion is it? Of course not!!!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:35 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,821,962 times
Quote:
Read the rest of Zakaria's analysis here: Zakaria: The Republican Party

Way to go, GOP.
Not necessarily. That is when the "religion card" is played. There is no great uniter in the history of humanity than that.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, it is not. Fareed Zakaria is pretty centrist and extremely knowledgeable. Worth reading whatever your political center of gravity. The dude is no partisan blowhard.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,821,962 times
Quote:
Instead of a good old accusation, how about you dissect his argument and show why his conclusion is misguided?

Old 03-20-2012, 03:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,924,108 times
Quote:
nmnita, is that the best you can come up with? Being that you supported Rick Perry for presidency, I'm not surprised at all.

I think it's a hoot that you would be quick to dismiss it as a left wing opinion instead of tackling some of Mr. Zakaria's points about the GOP candidates alienating the demographics other than angry white male voters.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 PM

9,969 posts, read 14,558,812 times
Quote:
nmnita, is that the best you can come up with? Being that you supported Rick Perry for presidency, I'm not surprised at all.

I think it's a hoot that you would be quick to dismiss it as a left wing opinion instead of tackling some of Mr. Zakaria's points about the GOP candidates alienating the demographics other than angry white male voters.
I think it's a good short opinion piece... I've got family members who are right-leaning moderates who absolutely loathe Barack Obama, yet aren't any rush to support any of the potential GOP nominees right now. Some might vote for an independent as a protest vote or just sit out the election. The Republicans took Nixon's "Southern Strategy" in from the late 60s/early 70s and have made it into the cornerpiece of their party. And it's won them a good number of presidential elections--however in the end run, it's backed them into a corner--every Republican primary becomes a race to the far side of the right wing(while on the other hand, Democratic candidates tend to shift right towards more centrist policies). I though that after 2008, we'd be talking about the economy first, and the culture war issues second--but here we are in 2012 and it's the same ol' ballgame.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 PM

2,093 posts, read 3,924,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I think it's a good short opinion piece... I've got family members who are right-leaning moderates who absolutely loathe Barack Obama, yet aren't any rush to support any of the potential GOP nominees right now. Some might vote for an independent as a protest vote or just sit out the election. The Republicans took Nixon's "Southern Strategy" in from the late 60s/early 70s and have made it into the cornerpiece of their party. And it's won them a good number of presidential elections--however in the end run, it's backed them into a corner--every Republican primary becomes a race to the far side of the right wing(while on the other hand, Democratic candidates tend to shift right towards more centrist policies). I though that after 2008, we'd be talking about the economy first, and the culture war issues second--but here we are in 2012 and it's the same ol' ballgame.
And that is precisely why the American voters will get screwed no matter who gets voted. It's now become a matter of voting against an insane presidential candidate.

Forum posters who have been participating in this thread will remember that I have consistently supported former GOP candidate Jon Hunstman who was a moderate Republicans but had stronger fiscal conservative ideology. He would have been a threat to Obama's presidency. He got the unfair label of being a RINO for appealing to facts, rational thinking, and compromising.

The funny thing is, Romney is more of a RINO and he's leading in the GOP race.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,639,042 times
Quote:
And that is precisely why the American voters will get screwed no matter who gets voted. It's now become a matter of voting against an insane presidential candidate.

Forum posters who have been participating in this thread will remember that I have consistently supported former GOP candidate Jon Hunstman who was a moderate Republicans but had stronger fiscal conservative ideology. He would have been a threat to Obama's presidency. He got the unfair label of being a RINO for appealing to facts, rational thinking, and compromising.

The funny thing is, Romney is more of a RINO and he's leading in the GOP race.
Well, it ain't over this year. If the GOP gets over their culture war mania and rallies behind Romney, it could be close.

I don't think that will happen though, because the party depends upon the diehard Evangelicals who will never fully support a Mormon. I could be wrong though. We'll see. Still nothing I have seen so far, from any of the GOP candidates is anything that would appeal to a center or center left person, or any person of color.

I agree that Huntsman was a good candidate. He may actually be better off to sit this one out. Whoever loses to Obama will not get a second chance, though Huntsman can say he did not get enough exposure this time around, and that would be true. Romney cannot pull that one.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM

49,965 posts, read 26,499,057 times
The GOP can and will be able to win elections with angry white folks for a long ass time to come. They still have a few decades yet before that will all change. And they're hoping to have certain things in place that can't be overturned before the changes occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or