U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM

7,180 posts, read 5,388,825 times

Advertisements

In the last major national election in 2010, republicans won an historic victory taking over the majority in the house of representatives and nearly taking over the majority in the senate. In the state races, republicans made huge gains.

Based on most polls, Obama's unfavorables are near record lows and in many polls he's in a statistical dead heat with Romney, the likly GOP presidential candidate, despite Romney still being in a primary battle.

Rumors of the GOP's demise are simply wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 8,099,343 times
I think the reason you see them pouring millions and millions of dollars into this election and making wilder and more rabid speeches is because they know this election may be their last chance to grab power and enact their right wing programs. They know that each day the populace is becoming more educated, more multi-ethnic, more open minded. Women are becoming more independent and involved in politics, people who aren't white are gaining more power. The 98% are becoming more wise to the manipulation that has been done to them. The days of rich, old, white men controlling the country are fading fast and if they don't win this time it will be too late for another power grab where they can write the rules that keeps the power in their hands.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 PM

11,327 posts, read 5,927,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
a sad dying breed. they like it that way i guess, because they don't want anyone else to get money like them.
Get? Really? Like someone just hands it out and you don't have to earn it?

I'm not republican, but if there is some alternative party that supports some concept of people just "getting" money, I'd vote against that all day every day.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,150,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Karl Rove, Ken Mehlman, and Michael Steele - among others - have tried to make the Republican Party more appealing to non-white voters, but it's not working.

Why isn't the GOP more appealing to non-whites, and what can they do to change that? Or should they even try?
Nonsense.................Herman Cain, Bobby Jindal, Alan West, Nicki Haley, Marco Rubio, just to name a few prominent Republicans, a couple who are often touted as veep candidates. We get to hear this nonsense every election cycle, truth of the matter is the GOP is more diverse than it ever has been. This from 2 years ago, PJ Media » Minority Republicans Make Major Gains Across America Black Republicans - On a Mission to Raise the Value of Black America's Political Capital

Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,265,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Wow, what a thoughtful, insightful comment. How did that English basics class work out for you?
Hey, that rep I just gave you, "you're" was a typo. I meant "your".

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,804,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Its more of what have they done to alienate these groups. The answer is plenty. From being totally mean sprited toward a President popular with these groups to out right naming them as the enemy.

Rick Santorum "Black people" comment - YouTube

Newt Gingrich Racist Comments: "Spanish is a language of the ghetto" - YouTube

Food stamp President

Anti-colonial

All race code fed to the tea party. What dont realise is that we know the code too.
These clips you provided show exactly what the problem is for the GOP. They want to "marginalize" people which includes those of us who are hispanics and speak Spanish & never grew up in a "ghetto".
They are basically insulting our language & our culture as well. Is it any wonder that President Obama is polling so well amongst the hispanic community?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:20 PM

22,243 posts, read 15,265,325 times
New Pew Poll says 20% of Romney supporters will vote for Obama, if Saintoum is the Nominee. And what was that opinion on the ACA?

Romney Leads GOP Contest, Trails in Matchup with Obama | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,583,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
We discuss this ad naseum. I think that many black voters are open to the GOP platform for the same reasons white ones are. They have an appealing message of low taxation, personal responsibility, pro-family, etc. Unfortunately, there are rarely two successive days that go by during which a prominent member of the GOP does not say something stupid about black people. Once they quit doing that, they will probably start attracting some black votes.
What this person says. If you look at what the GOP has done in these primaries, its stunning to me. They have a serious case of foot-in-mouth disease. Obama has given them a gift with the way he has run this economy and they are throwing it away everytime they speak. Also let me add, some of their policies haven't been minority friendly, example: voter ID laws.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,150,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
What this person says. If you look at what the GOP has done in these primaries, its stunning to me. They have a serious case of foot-in-mouth disease. Obama has given them a gift with the way he has run this economy and they are throwing it away everytime they speak. Also let me add, some of their policies haven't been minority friendly, example: voter ID laws.
How is the voter id act not friendly? Does it exempt white people?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:20 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,583,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
How is the voter id act not friendly? Does it exempt white people?
I don't even want to get this thread hijacked, so lets just leave it this law doesn't benefit minorities. If you disagree, that is fine, i'm not going to argue. The reality is, the GOP just doesn't seem to care or want the black vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or