Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:30 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I'm old and white.

And no longer a Republican. The GOP has been taken over by religious zealots. I'll have no part of it.
Hey, I'm with you there. I'm old, White and the only group that resembles anything in the Middle are the Dems. Until the GOP comes back, I will still support the Middle where it exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 04:47 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I've been saying this for years. By the time GOP will try to do something it will be too late...

Old 03-15-2012, 04:57 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Karl Rove, Ken Mehlman, and Michael Steele - among others - have tried to make the Republican Party more appealing to non-white voters, but it's not working.

Why isn't the GOP more appealing to non-whites, and what can they do to change that? Or should they even try?
GW Bush was their swan song. Kind of like what the Aztec did to Pontiac.

They are going to have to come up with a new party that is way to the left of where they are at now.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I don't even want to get this thread hijacked, so lets just leave it this law doesn't benefit minorities. If you disagree, that is fine, i'm not going to argue. The reality is, the GOP just doesn't seem to care or want the black vote.
yeah good dodge throw out a completely ignorant statement then say you dont want to talk about it. There is a difference between caring and wanting and being willing to lie and buy the black vote.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Ummm...actually the stock market is right about where it was in 2008, so you're doing good if you're back to even.

You're only in a rally if you started buying into the market in the past 3 years, which is a very small percentage of the market.
The stock market tanked in 2008 while Bush was President. The bottom line is that it has roared back to life during the Obama years.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The stock market tanked in 2008 while Bush was President. The bottom line is that it has roared back to life during the Obama years.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I think the reason you see them pouring millions and millions of dollars into this election and making wilder and more rabid speeches is because they know this election may be their last chance to grab power and enact their right wing programs. They know that each day the populace is becoming more educated, more multi-ethnic, more open minded. Women are becoming more independent and involved in politics, people who aren't white are gaining more power. The 98% are becoming more wise to the manipulation that has been done to them. The days of rich, old, white men controlling the country are fading fast and if they don't win this time it will be too late for another power grab where they can write the rules that keeps the power in their hands.
I usually don't buy into the "This election is the most important of our generation" hype, but the more I see what the former Party of Lincoln has become, the more convinced I am that this election really does represent the last gasp of a dying breed that wants to repeal all the progress of the last hundred--no, one hundred fifty--years. Child labor, workers' protections, environmental protections, women's rights, public education, health care, and fair taxation are at stake this year. I really have come to believe that. These Republican politicians--the extreme ones--are simply horrible. Some are decent people, but I've become convinced that they're a very small minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The Bush years were wonderful prior to 2008. I graduated college in fall 2007 and landed a very well-paid job directly out of college. I am making around half as much now that I was making in 2008 and honestly doubt I will ever make that much again. My life/career has been completely ruined in the past three years, some of it my own fault, but most of it is because of this horrible economy.
You're young yet. You have plenty of years ahead of you. So do I. I got my job in my career field--a field that has had a lot of layoffs--in spring of 2009 and my income has increased every year since

Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
a sad dying breed. they like it that way i guess, because they don't want anyone else to get money like them.
And that is why they are resorting to voter suppression to limit voter turnout. Their only hope anymore is to suppress turnout. They're attacks against women will increase turnout and 2012 is going to be ugly for the GOP.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I thnik perhaps if one looks at the mid terms especially the state house raqces what is seen is why the future of the Democratic is toast. It really wasn't about the quick turnaround of the house of representative really.T he map has turned red in state government.Obama has been good to republbian party.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The problem is that they will NEVER stop doing that because they do not want the Black vote.
It isn't the black vote that will damage the Republicans the most. It's the Hispanic vote. Hispanics are now the largest minority in the U.S., and they haven't voted much in the past.

For every 3 legal Hispanics, there's 1 illegal, and that one is very often a family member or a friend from Mexico. The Repub immigration laws have provided a flaming good reason for them to register and vote for the first time. Only the Cubans as a Hispanic culture are solid Republicans, and they are a minority of the Hispanics.

And the largest majority in this country is women. The U.S. has 3 % more women than men, and the recent anti-contraception junk the Repubs jumped on has angered them deeply.

This election may turn out to be not only another win for Obama, but a down-ticket rout that reverses 2010 and gives the House back to the Democratic Party, especially if more moderate Repub Representatives decide to bail out before the primaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections