U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 AM

26,725 posts, read 11,222,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Karl Rove, Ken Mehlman, and Michael Steele - among others - have tried to make the Republican Party more appealing to non-white voters, but it's not working.

Why isn't the GOP more appealing to non-whites, and what can they do to change that? Or should they even try?
What do non-whites want that differs from what whites want? A better education system for their children? The dollar to hold its value? The economy to improve? Unemployment to be lower? Stopping never ending wars that do nothing to protect our borders and make us less safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:38 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,872,903 times
Default The Republican Party: Old, white, and in trouble

I don't know if 50 is considered "old" but I am white and I've voted for GOP presidents (3) much more than Democratic (1).

But I'll say this: I've always considered myself an independent. I voted Republican because they seemed to be the more reasonable party with more realistic policy proposals at the time. That's certainly changed over the past dozen years or so. Today's GOP is unrecognizable. They've become petty and small-minded with absolutely no vision for the future. I'll vote against them at every opportunity until they regain their sanity.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 AM

8,632 posts, read 9,173,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What do non-whites want that differs from what whites want? A better education system for their children? The dollar to hold its value? The economy to improve? Unemployment to be lower? Stopping never ending wars that do nothing to protect our borders and make us less safe?
Excellent question! The democrat party has told them they are victims and they need special attention , they are being taken advantage of, Republicans are racist and they need the dems to take care of them and look out for them because they are too stupid and ignorant to do it for themselves.............Unfortunately too many nonwhites believe them. So now it has become, "how are you going to make me feel special?" "What are you going to do for me?"

Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 PM

6,722 posts, read 4,431,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Ah the GOP, don't they provide for a lot of entertainment? The GOP doesn't even like the GOP, it would need to hang a raw steak around it's neck, to get Mitt's Seamus to like them.

Confusion Wins In Missouri's 'Chaotic' Caucus Process : NPR
LOL, reminds me of that Seinfeld episode, with Jerry standing over George laying on jerry's livingroom floor pants around his ankles and saying, "and you wanted to be my Latex salesman"

And these clowns want to run this country?????

Old 03-17-2012, 12:57 PM

8,151 posts, read 5,612,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
So it's a popularity contest???

Don't call out the cool kid because everybody loves him???

Are you for real?
Calling him out? Yeah I bet some really like that.

Kenyan
Monkey
Boy
Man child

Ghetto Goon.

I could go on but why

Old 03-17-2012, 01:26 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Karl Rove, Ken Mehlman, and Michael Steele - among others - have tried to make the Republican Party more appealing to non-white voters, but it's not working.

Why isn't the GOP more appealing to non-whites, and what can they do to change that? Or should they even try?
It's an interesting thread topic -- thanks for that.

I was just thinking about this very thing in the car the other day when I was listening to the radio. The truth is, race is actually the one thing -- maybe the only thing -- that is keeping the republican party from being a dominant party. I think the main reason for this is because too many of the more prominent republicans depend on bigoted voters for their re-election campaigns. Because Senate and House rules typically favor seniority, the result is that over time many of the senior and high-ranking party officials within the republican party come from states and communities where racism still sells and using racist rhetoric and racist campaign strategies is part of getting re-elected. Think back to when Trent Lott was still the Sen. Majority leader....the comment that got him into trouble was at Sen. Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party. His comments were partly designed to reinforce Thurmond's political strength in South Carolina, and partly to reinforce his own image of being anti-black to voters in Mississippi.

It's not just blacks though. Another issue that republicans seem to be milking as much as possible as of late is illegal immigration. It's not to say that there shouldn't be concerns over illegal immigration -- I've always said it's fair to occasionally talk about the issue. But to make it the centerpiece of a campaign and to talk about it ad nauseam is basically nothing more than an attempt to whip up xenophobia. And again, just as it is with prominent party officials who come from southern states and need to use the code-speak to connect with bigoted anti-black voters there, voters in places like Arizona, Texas, and anywhere else with large Hispanic populations typically hunger for similar rhetoric from republican politicians in these communities.

The point is, I don't think it's actually a nationally orchestrated policy of republicans to be anti-minority. I think a large number of republican politicians - like Rove for instance - understand clearly the opportunities of reaching out to blacks and Hispanics. They understand it because the data is clear: large numbers of blacks, Hispanics, and even Asian immigrants are Christian, or at the very least, socially conservative. Take the issue of Prop 8 in California, for instance....a majority of black voters -- 70 percent -- voted *for* the proposition. Hispanics also reportedly voted for the measure to ban gay marriage.

I also think that most Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians have similar attitudes toward foreign policy, taxation, and the like. That might be hard to fathom but I think the real message gets lost because republicans inevitably inject racially-tinged innuendo whenever they're talking about these issues. I don't think you'll find too many people of any race disagreeing with policies that are designed to limit welfare dependency. I don't think you'll find too many people who will argue that America should be protected against hijackers. I don't think you'll find too many people arguing that immigration should be legal. The problem is that republicans seemingly end up raising everyone's blood pressure with language that suggests blacks are lazy and sucking up tax dollars; that Mexicans are invading the country and that everyone with brown complexion needs to be interrogated by the local police; and that Arabs who want to build a mosque somewhere in Manhattan are trying to impose sharia law.

The color of one's skin is essentially a large part of their identity. When you're black or Hispanic, you're black and Hispanic for life; it's not a temporary thing that you grow out of once you've been promoted in a company or made your first big paycheck. There are very wealthy blacks who get stopped by cops all the time just for walking home alone at night. Examples like these show that race is the first thing people recognize about you. It affects everything about how people treat you and which people you get to hang with. It doesn't matter if you agree with someone on 99 percent of everything else. If you threaten someone's race, you threaten their identity, and you threaten who they are as a person. A threat to someone's racial identity is as good as a threat to their existence. That's why republicans will never, ever get these votes until they learn to look past race and start speaking about issues without falling into the trap of baiting racists to vote for them.

My suggestion to the republicans is to re-think the southern strategy. Go after the same voters but leave race out of it and instead focus on just the conservative principles that are used to approach these issues only. Moreover, republicans should be a lot more selective in whom they promote and retain in its leadership. GOP leadership needs to look for leaders who have friendly relations and reputations within the mixed communities.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:56 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,475,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Excellent question! The democrat party has told them they are victims and they need special attention , they are being taken advantage of, Republicans are racist and they need the dems to take care of them and look out for them because they are too stupid and ignorant to do it for themselves.............Unfortunately too many nonwhites believe them. So now it has become, "how are you going to make me feel special?" "What are you going to do for me?"
The Dem party has told us no such thing. they merely stand up for "what is right" and try to change things in an equitable way. Repubs have done nothing but impose roadblocks to racial/sexual progress in the past 45-50 years. Equal rights are not "special" rights.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:47 PM

26,725 posts, read 11,222,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Calling him out? Yeah I bet some really like that.

Kenyan
Monkey
Boy
Man child

Ghetto Goon.

I could go on but why
democrat is the main reason he is not liked by others, by far.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:53 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,173,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The Dem party has told us no such thing. they merely stand up for "what is right" and try to change things in an equitable way. Repubs have done nothing but impose roadblocks to racial/sexual progress in the past 45-50 years. Equal rights are not "special" rights.
give it a rest....sexual progress? please no one is coming in your bedroom and preventing you from having what ever perverted progress you desire. And as far as race the dems can never let that issue die that is why they are the ones who keep talking about it and calling everyone else a racist.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,475,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
give it a rest....sexual progress? please no one is coming in your bedroom and preventing you from having what ever perverted progress you desire. And as far as race the dems can never let that issue die that is why they are the ones who keep talking about it and calling everyone else a racist.
Your post is proof that all you know how to do is name call and divide people. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or