Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:27 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I usually don't buy into the "This election is the most important of our generation" hype, but the more I see what the former Party of Lincoln has become, the more convinced I am that this election really does represent the last gasp of a dying breed that wants to repeal all the progress of the last hundred--no, one hundred fifty--years. Child labor, workers' protections, environmental protections, women's rights, public education, health care, and fair taxation are at stake this year. I really have come to believe that. These Republican politicians--the extreme ones--are simply horrible. Some are decent people, but I've become convinced that they're a very small minority.

I agree; the points that you've made all represent issues that the GOP
chose to legislate; they certainly didn't have sweeping mandates from their constituencies to do so. And in the face of the spirited public debate about women's health care and reproductive rights, I haven't noticed many (any) identifiably male poster/s in this thread mention it. Wow...and they vote. It's perfectly clear that there's an internal war on basic civil rights and common sense legislation that doesn't benefit white males. The
GOP is intellectually bankrupt, and so shallow in their thinking that they
saw the enthusiastic response to Hillary's candidacy and grabbed the first
woman they could find to be the V.P. candidate. They ended up with a woman so dumb that even her top handler and aide didn't vote for her. The GOP sees a bi-racial American elected to the Presidency, so they nab Michael Steele to be the RNC head...then couldn't bring themselves to work with the poor guy. They need Hispanic voters so they tap Marco Rubio, not grasping that all Hispanics aren't going to vote for a wealthy Cuban American because of his name. But going after women to the tune of 1100 bills affecting women's reproductive health last year and now going after more to appease extremists? They've awakened a sleeping giant.

You're young yet. You have plenty of years ahead of you. So do I. I got my job in my career field--a field that has had a lot of layoffs--in spring of 2009 and my income has increased every year since

Plus, experts say that today's young people will have much more fluid careers; the days of a good job at the factory with benefits and retirement have been ended by the GOP corporatocracy. And give LML her due...we all know who's been buying our representatives now, and won't
let that slide. The American people have had their fill of wars for profit,
shoddy Chinese merchandise instead of quality, American-made products and produce, the attempts to turn public education into businesses and
the ever-worsening state of our health care are issues that won't be ignored. It's why so many millions voted for Obama, only to be misled
intentionally by the RW into questioning even his nationality...people are
absolutely delusional. Again, I so agree...anything as destructive and oppressive as these policies are a last-ditch attempt to halt progress...no,
to actually regress. We can't let that happen. I hesitate to throw in a music video, but it speaks for we, the people.

Jackson Browne "I Am A Patriot" 10-08-11 Waterbury CT - YouTube

"I want to run like the lion, released from the cages, released from the rages burning in my heart tonight.."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik perhaps if one looks at the mid terms especially the state house raqces what is seen is why the future of the Democratic is toast. It really wasn't about the quick turnaround of the house of representative really.T he map has turned red in state government.Obama has been good to republbian party.
Maybe. It's way too soon to say that for sure. 2010 was the year the anger peaked on most of the stuff than made us all mad, and 2011 was better than was first realized.
In the west, which is half of the Republican stronghold, the Democrats have mounted full-ticket opposition in many places for the first time in many elections. While the Republicans have been making all the noise, the Democrats have held a deep resolve to turn things around more permanently, and it remains to be seen which side will prevail.

I'm not betting on either party right now. But if you come back in October, it's quite possible that red map you rightly mentioned may be turning purple.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
For a fact, the 21st century will be as different than the 20th was different from the 19th. Anglo Whites will no longer be a big majority, and the rural vote won't count for nearly as much as the nation becomes more urban.
I fully expect we'll become a bilingual culture, even though English will remain our official language; we won't go the way of Canada, which adopted 2 official languages as a way to keep Quebec from seceding, but we will all speak Spanglish eventually.

I don't think it will be very long before we have a President of Mexican or Chinese ancestry, and it won't be much longer before we have one who has Indian or other asian ancestry. We could have a female President by 2016.

While most Americans say they are religious, organized religion is in a steady decline here, and I think organized religion will continue to decline slowly.

All this stuff adds up. I'm sure there are Republicans who are well aware of these trends, but whether or not they can return their party back to the old principles of fiscal conservancy, small and limited government and the other basics over the social agendas that constantly give them so much trouble remains to be seen.
Personally, I think their only solution is if the evangelical right deserts the party and starts it's own- something like the Christian Conservative Party. Only that will settle the issues that plague the present party now. I don't see moderate conservatives splitting off and forming a 3rd party... they'll continue to vote Republican or jump over to the Democratic party instead.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Maybe. It's way too soon to say that for sure. 2010 was the year the anger peaked on most of the stuff than made us all mad, and 2011 was better than was first realized.
In the west, which is half of the Republican stronghold, the Democrats have mounted full-ticket opposition in many places for the first time in many elections. While the Republicans have been making all the noise, the Democrats have held a deep resolve to turn things around more permanently, and it remains to be seen which side will prevail.

I'm not betting on either party right now. But if you come back in October, it's quite possible that red map you rightly mentioned may be turning purple.

It's wise to take nothing for granted, and it's a long way until November.
President Obama and Biden officially opened their campaign today, so that will make a difference as time passes. The base will be energized, and the GOP is wrong to add an attempt to water down the Violence Against Women Act. It's as dumb a move as I've ever seen. When it comes to taking back the House and Senate, I desperately hope that you're right.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
a sad dying breed. they like it that way i guess, because they don't want anyone else to get money like them.

actually, both the democrats and the republicans are a dying breed. if you take independents out of the voting equation for a candidate of their own, neither democrats nor republicans would be electing anyone to public office anytime soon.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Karl Rove, Ken Mehlman, and Michael Steele - among others - have tried to make the Republican Party more appealing to non-white voters, but it's not working.

Why isn't the GOP more appealing to non-whites, and what can they do to change that? Or should they even try?
try and get through to the minorities how the "give away" party doesn't solve all thier problems. As for "old" as you put it, tell our 3 granddaughters, all in their 20s it is the party of the old, or tell our 2 grandsons the same?

Nita

Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Its more of what have they done to alienate these groups. The answer is plenty. From being totally mean sprited toward a President popular with these groups to out right naming them as the enemy.
So it's a popularity contest???

Don't call out the cool kid because everybody loves him???

Are you for real?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Karl Rove, Ken Mehlman, and Michael Steele - among others - have tried to make the Republican Party more appealing to non-white voters, but it's not working.

Why isn't the GOP more appealing to non-whites, and what can they do to change that? Or should they even try?

LOL
I think that this is really funny
I do not give a rats ass about what color folks are
I know that for me OBAMA is a wreck
he is the one to run from
he lies on top of lies and if I supported him seeing what I do
I would also try and sling shi*
to attempt anyone from seeing how completely stupid I am!
That is what folks like you do
you try to use smoke and mirrors
it worked before to get that hack elected, but folks like me were not fooled!
It is not going to work this time
the facts are plain Obama is the WORSE thing that happened
and come Nov which it will get a hell of a lot worse, because he is out there
lying his ass off and doing nothing for us
every frigging thing he has touches has turned to crap!!
he keeps to make jokes when people can not eat for paying for HIS GAS prices that he wanted to go up ONLY not so fast!
so rant on with the other tin foil hat folks
you are the real Flat Earther's!!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,513 times
ok, lets stop with this GOP is in trouble. They will always be around. As long as white people control this country, the GOP will always be thriving.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Oh yes, and the Democrats, are such a high moral, don't lie at all bunch. Right, people need to be honest within themselves. Both sides have failed us, sorry, one is not better then the next, not mine nor yours, that is being sicnere and honest. Don't make storeis, and tell it like it is.
Democrats have within them, young, old, and still cannot get it right?
They have someone black, who was suppose to fix it all, and he has done neither, excpet for the fact, divide the people.
He is no different, has no special qualities, lies like the rest of them, and boy he comes up with some doozies does he not. Plays the balme game rather well, infact we can start a new show about President, and who is the next person he will blame. You can bet on this, not himself.
And he sure as hell cannot get this economy right.
McCain said Economics wasn't his strong suit. So who would have directed our economy had he been elected( He was on his 3rd election team. thus look at the quality of people he would have taken to the Whitehouse with him.). Remember just before the meltdown he said "our economy is sound".

I think the POTUS has done abetter job than McCain. So many want to whine about suffering under this economy and refuse to understand there is pain with these consequences of our economy nearly collapsing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections