Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Really, if you look at Gallup daily tracking: Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval
Download the data and see for yourself.
Um Gallup is Obama 49% Approve 44% Disapprove. You might be reversing the number they have there. Besides that Gallup is highly erratic so I don't really trust it. They tend to have massive swing. RCP is better because it avoids the massive swings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
The only problem here is that the republicans will just flood the airwaves with clips of Obama telling people that he would bring down the oil prices (which he said often in the '08 campaign) only to have it go higher. He can't have it both ways. He can't promise to bring the price down and then (once he has failed to do so) turn around and say a president has no power to do so. This hasn't even begun to hurt him yet.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
the unemployment, tidal wave of foreclosures, lousy economy, and high gas prices make this time different.
Do you think people have forgotten what the situation was like when Obama took office?

The unemployment rate, housing situation, etc do matter. But the trends also matter. The GOP is hoping people are too dumb/lazy/disinterested to compare January 2009 to November 2012. The trend is clearly headed in the right direction. Losing jobs to gaining jobs. Rising unemployment to falling unemployment. Shrinking GDP to growing GDP. Is the situation perfect? No. Is it a hell of lot better than it was? Yes.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Gas prices were also high in 2008 yet Obama still managed to win the election and that was with a economy in a recession with Wall Street collapsing, the Auto industry on the verge of bankruptcy, the foreclosure crisis in fullswing and hemorraging nearly 800,000 jobs a month.
That isn't the case today as we have had almost 2 years of positive job growth, Wallstreet has gone up 100% since it's lows in 2008 and companies have a lot of money, the Auto industry is making money again. This is a completely different economy than that from 2008. I seriously doubt gas prices alone are going to torpedo Obama's re-election chances.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The trend is clearly headed in the right direction. Losing jobs to gaining jobs. Rising unemployment to falling unemployment. Shrinking GDP to growing GDP. Is the situation perfect? No. Is it a hell of lot better than it was? Yes.
Even Mittens ("I like trees!" "I like mandates!" "I like to fire people!") says so!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012 !!!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Do you think people have forgotten what the situation was like when Obama took office?

The unemployment rate, housing situation, etc do matter. But the trends also matter. The GOP is hoping people are too dumb/lazy/disinterested to compare January 2009 to November 2012. The trend is clearly headed in the right direction. Losing jobs to gaining jobs. Rising unemployment to falling unemployment. Shrinking GDP to growing GDP. Is the situation perfect? No. Is it a hell of lot better than it was? Yes.
What you and others might be forgetting, the unemployment is still higher than it was in Nov of 2008, many who would still be on the rolls have used up their unemployment, several others are underemployed, gas prices higher than they have ever been this time of the year, etc. I could go on and on. Yes, they are improving and for that we should all be grateful, but this is the longest recovery in history except for the depression. What we are seeing now, should have happened a year ago.

Nita

Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What you and others might be forgetting, the unemployment is still higher than it was in Nov of 2008, many who would still be on the rolls have used up their unemployment, several others are underemployed, gas prices higher than they have ever been this time of the year, etc. I could go on and on. Yes, they are improving and for that we should all be grateful, but this is the longest recovery in history except for the depression. What we are seeing now, should have happened a year ago.

Nita
I really don't understand how anyone can say with a straight face that this recovery has taken too long. With the exception of a few 85+ year olds, none of us lived through the Great Depression, which took a decade and a new war to bring us out of. Most of us have lived through a series of smaller recessions, which we have tended to escape in a year or two. This recession, worse than any since the Great Depression, has taken longer. However, when you have a deep hole, it takes more to dig yourself out of it.

It seems like a lot of people either weren't affected and don't understand the hole we were in, or willfully choose to ignore the depth of the series of crises we underwent in 2008. Does anyone really believe we would be back at 7% or 6% unemployment under a Republican president? Please.

I don't agree with all of Obama's decision's but it's plain to see what we underwent was a market correction. That's why we have a higher GDP today than we did in 2007 with millions of fewer workers - workers are more productive. Those jobs we had ain't coming back. What Obama's trying to do (unsuccessfully) is spur new industries, which (if done correctly) is exactly what we need. I think, all in all, we've had a pretty good recovery considering the MASSIVE hole we were in when Obama took office.

I know people are impatient. I was impatient when I was unemployed too. But Obama, given the circumstances, has done a very reasonable job in getting the economy back on track.

Now for the debt....

Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
What we are seeing now, should have happened a year ago.
You know what? You're right. And for that I blame Democrats who, despite having a clear mandate, huge majorities in both houses, and the presidency, still didn't fight for the stimulus we actually needed. Instead, we got a fairly small actual stimulus and a bunch of tax cuts. Even when given a clear mandate and the power to get things done, Democrats still opt for some weak half measure that helps things but doesn't do nearly as much as it could have. They did the same thing on healthcare, where instead of actually tackling the problem, they made some improvements but largely just went with what the GOP wanted.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
I really think people will come out to vote for someone rather then against someone. Unless Mr.steal your pension and overload you with debt Romney can get people to want to come out for him its over

Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I really think people will come out to vote for someone rather then against someone. Unless Mr.steal your pension and overload you with debt Romney can get people to want to come out for him its over
Agreed. We just tried this in 2004, where the Democratic campaign was essentially "Not Bush!" A wholly uninspiring "safe" candidate was chosen and the result was, well, four more years of reckless spending and endless war, ending in economic catastrophe.

Unfortunately, the GOP side only has "safe" and "crazy" candidates to choose from. Safe is unlikely to win, but it stands a much better shot than crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections