Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Yeah I'm sure they'll be lining up to vote for Obama. Romney does well in suburban areas and that is where elections are won and lost. After the convention Romney will have the rural voters, they are the least of his worries.
Perhaps they won't vote at all in many cases, which will cause O to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
November is not going to be 2008 for anyone. I'd expect lower turnout on Dems side, as it is not historic. Repubs tend to fall in line in November. So do not worry about the rural vote-they do NOT swing national elections. Swing state voters elect the president, and Il is NOT a swing state.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,243,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Perhaps they won't vote at all in many cases, which will cause O to win.
Considering some of the views about Obama that come from rural America, I don't think Mitt Romney will be all that hard of a sell.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,087,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Same story: no love for Mitt outside of overwhelmingly Democrat urban areas. He has a real problem with conservative, rural voters that will hurt him in November.
Yes they will surely go to Obama if their only other choice is Mitt.

And the whole "low turnout" argument is largely irrelevant. Evangelicals always turnout well, other staunch conservatives will turn out to get rid of Obama. Plus, many forget there are many ballot initiatives/senate races that will motivate conservatives. I know in my state we will have in-state tuition for illegal immigrants and probably gay marriage on the ballot. Not that that will help Romney carry Maryland, or even close, but it could in other states.

Furthermore, even if it is true, I don't care if half of Mississippi voters are bitter and want to sit home. Mississippi isn't going for Obama, and it's all about electoral votes, not popular vote.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Yeah I'm sure they'll be lining up to vote for Obama. Romney does well in suburban areas and that is where elections are won and lost. After the convention Romney will have the rural voters, they are the least of his worries.
Beat me to it. No matter how much you tell them this, it's irrelevant. They won't listen. I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see what they were saying in 08 when Obama was winning all Republican areas/states and Hillary was winning the Democratic strongholds. Didn't seem to hurt Barack too much in the general. And this is purely speculative, but I do not think Hillary would have done as well in 08 as Obama did. I can't see her having won NC, VA, IN, etc. I think she still would've won, but I think Obama's strength in more moderate/conservative areas helped him.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The MSM media will always attempt to find the black cloud in the silver lining.

A most impressive win for Romney.

Exit poll.

Primaries - Exit/Entrance Polls - Election Center 2012 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

65% of voters claim to be conservatives...ROMNEY won 43%, Santorum 39%. Huge right there.

He won the Protestant/Catholic vote.

He won the TP vote oppose and support and neutral.

Which really is beginning to tell me it is not the conservative vote he is having a problem with, but something else that underlies that.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM

Actually, most of the counties Romney is winning are red for that matter...
Current results:
Google Politics & Elections

Past Elections
State Results - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
State Results - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
Local and National Election Results - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
CNN.com Election 2004

Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And he only had to outspend Santorum by a 7 to 1 margin. Yeah, that's impressive all right.

I am not sure how much spending money moves voters actually. But using this as a rationalization for Romney winning is not real logical. As his campaign spokesman said, 'it's like accusing the other team of winning in basketball because they are all taller'. If you have money, it's because people believe in you and donate, if you don't, it's because they don't. There is a reason for that...and it's usually that you suck.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Yes they will surely go to Obama if their only other choice is Mitt.

And the whole "low turnout" argument is largely irrelevant. Evangelicals always turnout well, other staunch conservatives will turn out to get rid of Obama. Plus, many forget there are many ballot initiatives/senate races that will motivate conservatives. I know in my state we will have in-state tuition for illegal immigrants and probably gay marriage on the ballot. Not that that will help Romney carry Maryland, or even close, but it could in other states.

Furthermore, even if it is true, I don't care if half of Mississippi voters are bitter and want to sit home. Mississippi isn't going for Obama, and it's all about electoral votes, not popular vote.
No, they won't vote for Obama. But they may not take time to vote for Romney either. And it's the "base" that does the work in the campaign - getting out the vote, making the robocalls. No enthusiasm for that with Romney. It's not about MS, or Illinois. It does matter in OH, and PA though. Romney is way too liberal for today's Republican voter to get enthused over.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:56 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am not sure how much spending money moves voters actually. But using this as a rationalization for Romney winning is not real logical. As his campaign spokesman said, 'it's like accusing the other team of winning in basketball because they are all taller'. If you have money, it's because people believe in you and donate, if you don't, it's because they don't. There is a reason for that...and it's usually that you suck.
Well hang on to that thought for later in the year, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections