Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:27 PM

639 posts, read 828,001 times

Advertisements

Santorum is smug self-righteous prick. LOL @ a "conservative" who voted for No Child Left Behind, Bush medicare Part D, made back room deals with unions, Arlen Spector, etc. Even by the low standards of politics, the guy is a slimeball with no integrity. And whats with his freaking OBSESSION with gays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
Santorum is fundamentally un American
would you like to tell us why you feel this way?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 AM

639 posts, read 828,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
would you like to tell us why you feel this way?
The very FIRST amendment of the Constitution ensures freedom of and freedom from religion, he only believes in half of it. I don't understand why these religious nuts don't move to an Islamic country that is more in line with their backwards, theocratic way of thinking

Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
The very FIRST amendment of the Constitution ensures freedom of and freedom from religion, he only believes in half of it. I don't understand why these religious nuts don't move to an Islamic country that is more in line with their backwards, theocratic way of thinking
Well put and I agree. The far right evangelical radicals want freedom of religion for their religion and no one else. They want to force their big government religious ideology on the people and for everyone that doesn't agree with them, can go to hell or leave the nation. That's about as un-american and anti-consitituion as it gets.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:43 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Well, as a non-Christian I just have to chime in say that the kind of theocracy this preacher is advocating is offensive to me, and even scary.

We mustn't forget that there are religious zealots who would love to force their religions on us and make government accountable to the church. We must not ever let that happen.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
At first I was alarmed, but the truth is that America is becoming less and less religious and voters won't tolerate this crap. I think the noise level of these religious loons has been amped up considerably, which makes them seem menacing, but that's because they know that more and more people aren't joining their flocks these days. So they fight for the ever-dwindling supply of hardcore religious devotees and try to appeal to them by being more outspoken and extreme.

They're most dangerous when nobody's looking, which is why the manage to sneak into congress and shift the balance of power back to the right every so often; or they'll take over the governor's mansion in some state where nobody expected it. These people take advantage of the complacency of everyone else. And then they'll pass laws restricting women's rights, against gays, and because they can't control their impulses, they'll keep going until people finally wake up in the middle of the night, turn on the light, and then realize that there are rats running around in their kitchen.

And then the silent but occasionally apathetic majority springs into action and tosses their sorry asses out for a while. These guys are well-organized and loud, but that's it. Their strength is their weakness. Their message has limited appeal. Santorum has chosen to make this his base of support, and if the republitards are foolish enough to follow him and his ilk over the cliff, well, they'll get one hell of a humiliating surprise this November. I think people are paying attention now. I hope anyway.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Default non-Christians Get Out of America!

Well, there goes the Jewish vote!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,058 times
I highly doubt Santorum actually believes this, and his clapping was inappropriate. He should've screened his speakers better. Or maybe he chose this guy on purpose since he knew his base would like it. But this is no record of Santorum supporting such extreme nonsense himself. I can assure you that non-Christians will be just fine under a Santourm presidency. (At least in terms of religion. I don't think anyone will be fine since I don't think he has the necessary competence to lead the country.) although his rhetoric itself maybe somewhat disenfranchising, and that is one thing I really don't like about him. I just wish people saw the difference between rhetoric and the extent to which that rhetoric translates into actual policy. Nothing about policies supported by Santorum suggests he would ban other faiths.

As for the pastor, he did get one thing right. People in America don't worship Buddha and Mohammed. I don't know any religion or country whe people "worship" those two figures. He should've thrown Joseph Smith in there if he really wanted to stir something up.

Last edited by tmsterp; 03-25-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 PM

933 posts, read 1,532,778 times
As long as the far-right religious fanatics control the Republican Party, you can expect this kind of garbage.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
As for the pastor, he did get one thing right. People in America don't worship Buddha and Mohammed. I don't know any religion or country whe people "worship" those two figures. He should've thrown Joseph Smith in there if he really wanted to stir something up.
I doubt if the pastor understood this as well as you do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections