U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 14,226,564 times

Advertisements

Nobody on either side really knows what Romney would do as President. From the beginning, he has tried to be all things to everyone, always ready to pander to every little shift in the process. All the while, he remains a complete mystery, hiding behind an impenetrable mask.
The only thing we know for sure is he obsessively wants to be President.

Whether we like them or not, we all know a lot about Obama, Gingrich, Santorum, and all the others. They betray their emotions sometimes, gloated a little when there was a victory, and bit their lip in humiliation when they were trounced. All very human stuff that tells us all a lot about the kind of people they are.
But we get none of that from Mitt. Nothing at all.
The only thing about him we know for sure is that he is unpredictable. His mask is perfect and betrays nothing about him, good, bad, or indifferent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:18 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,102,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think Romney is just fundamentally dishonest and will say whatever he is told to say to get votes. Who knows what you get if you vote for him? The argument to the moderate is "vote for Romney, he is lying about being a social conservative". I don't think it is going to work. Who knows though? He fooled 47% of the Republicans in Illinois yesterday.
I think you're right. If this guy is elected president, I'm not going to believe a word he says. The only thing he has proven about himself so far is that he will say absolutely anything if he thinks there is something to gain.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,329,946 times
Out of all the candidates, I find Mitt to be the only one that I do trust will do the best for this country. Has he switched positions? Absolutely - some for good reasons, others for political reasons. However, I find it laughable that people don't consider him a conservative. No, he's not ultra conservative, but neither are any of the viable candidates. But he is fiscally conservative and also socially moderate (with a lean to the right). That to me is the best type of president to lead this right-of-center nation.

That said, I personally like Obama as a person but I simply don't trust him as a leader of this country. I find his style of politics very divisive and I also believe he changes positions quite a bit to fit the needs of the time. But that is the nature of politics. I don't like rigid idealogues or people that won't see different points of view and adjust (which was one of my primary criticisms of Bush Jr. - the man would stick to keeping candles lit even if the house was burning to the ground). I also am not a fan of people who intentionally distort and create division in this country. For all the talk of unity, Obama has led one of the most divisive administrations in this country.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,889,260 times
Doesn't matter if he's a conservative. He has no conviction. His flip flopping and pandering would smash America's credibility on the World stage.

One answer for the American people, another promise for Russia, or Korea, or China...what price would be too high to keep Romney from selling us out? Oops, did I say price....

Old 03-22-2012, 08:19 AM

4,525 posts, read 4,340,691 times
Republicans don't really like Romney. They have to hold their noses to support him because they want Obama gone. Romney seems like a shady dishonest politician who is not connecting with voters. He's a loose cannon.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM

29,281 posts, read 39,576,938 times
Of all Romney's many blunders, the etch-a-sketch remark has the "visuals" to stick to him and be his downfall in the election.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 AM

4,088 posts, read 3,677,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Out of all the candidates, I find Mitt to be the only one that I do trust will do the best for this country. Has he switched positions? Absolutely - some for good reasons, others for political reasons. However, I find it laughable that people don't consider him a conservative. No, he's not ultra conservative, but neither are any of the viable candidates. But he is fiscally conservative and also socially moderate (with a lean to the right). That to me is the best type of president to lead this right-of-center nation.

That said, I personally like Obama as a person but I simply don't trust him as a leader of this country. I find his style of politics very divisive and I also believe he changes positions quite a bit to fit the needs of the time. But that is the nature of politics. I don't like rigid idealogues or people that won't see different points of view and adjust (which was one of my primary criticisms of Bush Jr. - the man would stick to keeping candles lit even if the house was burning to the ground). I also am not a fan of people who intentionally distort and create division in this country. For all the talk of unity, Obama has led one of the most divisive administrations in this country.
I remember Colbert's great line about GWB: "He believes the same thing on Wednesday he did on Monday- regardless of what happened Tuesday". Boy, wasn't THAT the truth!

Romney's approach is the opposite of Bush's- he's changed positions so many times on so many issues for reasons of expediency, nobody knows who the "Real Romney" is. The best characterization so far comes from Huntsman- he called Romney a "well-oiled weather vane".

If you want to take a chance on having a guy like that for a president, go right ahead. It will be interesting to say the least.

(I disagree with you on Obama. Obama campaigned as a center-left pragmatist. He's GOVERNED that way too. If he's "divisive", it's because he's been a target for the real dividers in this country)

Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 AM

4,088 posts, read 3,677,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Yes, and not suddenly he will be wayyy to extreme and conservative according to the Democrats who have said he is just like Obama all of this time. I saw this one coming.
I think the point is, nobody knows what Romney really thinks because, either he's afraid to tell us, or THEIR IS NO REAL ROMNEY. That's why the "etch-a-sketch" metaphor is an instant classic. It has the ring of truth.

If you are comfortable with either of those alternatives, and want to see a person like that as president, go right ahead and support him.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM

22,243 posts, read 15,257,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I think the point is, nobody knows what Romney really thinks because, either he's afraid to tell us, or THEIR IS NO REAL ROMNEY. That's why the "etch-a-sketch" metaphor is an instant classic. It has the ring of truth.

If you are comfortable with either of those alternatives, and want to see a person like that as president, go right ahead and support him.
I heard there was going to be a "shake up" in the Romney Campaign ... Oh no, Mitt will disappear.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM

1,347 posts, read 920,419 times
Every candidate remakes their image between the primary and general. It doesn't mean you change your positions, you just try to alter your rhetoric and the perception you give off to appeal to different audiences. Knowing your audience is a very basic concept that I learned about in Middle School. That, of course, should not equate to changing who you are to appeal to different audiences. I know that's what many of you think Romney is doing, and I can respect that, but between myself and the other Romney supporters on this board, I feel like we have more than refuted every flip-flop claim made. And nobody responds to us when we do.

That being said, what a stupid thing for his aide to say. It is an accurate comment and is thus defensible, but he should have been more aware of the false perceptions that surround Romney and thought a little bit about saying something that would be misconstrued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or