U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,170,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
What if they are issues that ARE important to other people, though? Are you and the issues that are important to YOU the only thing that matters?

And what happens if he starts flip flopping on issues that ARE important to you?

He hasn't really flip flopped on many issues at all and the issues I'm most concerned about are backed up with an actual record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,170,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
As well you should. I think this one, being so visual, has the potential to stick.
I agree.

I was reading a conservative blog earlier and the comments following one of the posts. The type of people who post on these blogs already have a distrust of Romney and they were capitalizing on this "etch-a-sketch" remark.

Also, now we have Santorum apparently trying to divide the GOP even more (even though, at this point, there's virtually NO chance of him winning the nomination outright or even of a brokered convention):

Santorum suggests Obama preferable to 'Etch-A-Sketch' Romney - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/22/3507477/santorum-suggests-obama-preferable.html - broken link)

This "etch-a-sketch" comment leaves a bad taste in my mouth - I freely admit. But, at the same time, I understand that every campaign - Republican or Democrat - does this. You go to the left or to the right in the primaries, then move toward the center for the general election campaign. That's just the way it works. I don't think it's even necessarily so much a matter of changing stances on issues; I think it's more about phrasing the stances differently. This campaign manager made a very poor choice of words and, to be honest, the Romney campaign has made a series of what I consider to be very poor decisions (another example would be the event at the football stadium). That's what concerns me the most.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM

10,635 posts, read 6,031,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This "etch-a-sketch" comment leaves a bad taste in my mouth - I freely admit. But, at the same time, I understand that every campaign - Republican or Democrat - does this. You go to the left or to the right in the primaries, then move toward the center for the general election campaign. That's just the way it works. I don't think it's even necessarily so much a matter of changing stances on issues; I think it's more about phrasing the stances differently. This campaign manager made a very poor choice of words and, to be honest, the Romney campaign has made a series of what I consider to be very poor decisions (another example would be the event at the football stadium). That's what concerns me the most.
You're right about every candidate having to play to their fringes during the primaries, but this year those far right fringes are really off in the weeds, and that's created a problem for Romney that he may not be able to overcome. It's no secret that I'm no fan of Romney's, but the acrobatics he's had to perform merely to stay in the race have added greatly to the perception that he's a flip flopper. The guy is simply not a conservative--he's an East Coast moderate Republican at a time when moderates are not welcome in the GOP, so he's had to do some pretty silly contortions to placate the hard right. The question is, can he recover from that and try to campaign from the center in the general without losing the tenuous hold he has on the fringes? I'm not sure he can.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM

29,287 posts, read 39,592,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You're right about every candidate having to play to their fringes during the primaries, but this year those far right fringes are really off in the weeds, and that's created a problem for Romney that he may not be able to overcome. It's no secret that I'm no fan of Romney's, but the acrobatics he's had to perform merely to stay in the race have added greatly to the perception that he's a flip flopper. The guy is simply not a conservative--he's an East Coast moderate Republican at a time when moderates are not welcome in the GOP, so he's had to do some pretty silly contortions to placate the hard right. The question is, can he recover from that and try to campaign from the center in the general without losing the tenuous hold he has on the fringes? I'm not sure he can.
Romney does not have to worry about the fringes in the general. They are not voting for Obama unless his skin changes color. Romney's problem is credibility and appeal to independents and moderates in swing states. Etch-a-sketch is a very bad development with respect to those voters.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Romney does not have to worry about the fringes in the general. They are not voting for Obama unless his skin changes color. Romney's problem is credibility and appeal to independents and moderates in swing states. Etch-a-sketch is a very bad development with respect to those voters.
Yes, you're right about the fringes, but they are the only path to the general election. And the contortions he has attempted in order to be far enough to the right for them is what is going to sink him in the general. No one is going to believe him when he attempts to sound more like a moderate. And this is where the etch-a-sketch is going to really hurt.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM

21,621 posts, read 11,070,630 times
I believe Romney has character and is a decent guy. Obama could never be as trustworthy as Romney. Never!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM

1,433 posts, read 992,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree.

I was reading a conservative blog earlier and the comments following one of the posts. The type of people who post on these blogs already have a distrust of Romney and they were capitalizing on this "etch-a-sketch" remark.

Also, now we have Santorum apparently trying to divide the GOP even more (even though, at this point, there's virtually NO chance of him winning the nomination outright or even of a brokered convention):

Santorum suggests Obama preferable to 'Etch-A-Sketch' Romney - KansasCity.com (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/22/3507477/santorum-suggests-obama-preferable.html - broken link)

Santorum is such an idiot.

Anyway, with etch-a-sketch stocks up, I guess people like them. LOL

Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,636,401 times
Well, I always thought an Etch-a-Sketch was a cool toy as a kid. Maybe that will cement the boomer vote.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,891,248 times
Lightbulb lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I believe Romney has character and is a decent guy. Obama could never be as trustworthy as Romney. Never!
Unless you consider how each of them would treat something that depends on them for love, food, drink and general well being and happiness...

Why don't we let their dogs decide?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Have you googled 'Romney lies' lately?
Romney's response to the etch-a-sketch gaffe is interesting. When asked about it by a reporter he replied, "I’m running as a conservative Republican." Not, I am a conservative Republican, but I'm running as one. Reminiscent of his, "I'm running for office, for Pete's sake, I can't have illegals!" It's when Romney tells the truth that you have to pay attention. In this case, it only served to reinforce the gaffe he was trying to refute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or