Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 PM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I do not believe that the president has only changed his mind on one issue. I do believe that the things that he has changed his mind about mean very little in the larger scheme of things and that, unlike Mr. Romney, he does have a core belief system that has been and remains perfectly evident. I don't wonder where the president stands on the matters of healthcare or equality or diplomacy. He hasn't said or done anything that truly surprised me other than bend over backwards to appease the loons on the right.

We can agree to disagree about what transpired with the pipeline, however, until the REPUBLICAN governer of Nebraska raised the alarm, everything was proceeding as planned. That FACT is indisputable.

And, I really don't care if the president approved of it or didn't or when.
The president does not get involved in every single business decison made across this country, nor should he.
Or, are the 'small-government' types now all about micro-managing?
Proceeding as planned without the final approval or a public statement that they would get one by the man at the top. Then Nebraska got worried about the route. For the president not to be involved on a large issue is striking. The only rational reason is he was choosing to be quiet when asked to speak out is to protect his Green votes.

So none of Obama's flip flops are on core beliefs? Gitmo, Gas Supply, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Proceeding as planned without the final approval or a public statement that they would get one by the man at the top. Then Nebraska got worried about the route. For the president not to be involved on a large issue is striking. The only rational reason is he was choosing to be quiet when asked to speak out is to protect his Green votes.

So none of Obama's flip flops are on core beliefs? Gitmo, Gas Supply, etc.

The president signed an executive order to close Gitmo days after taking office. He was stabbed in the back by that majority Congress that everyone wants to believe "gave him everything he wanted." As has been noted already in this thread, again contrary to want some want to believe, the president has only so much power and can do only so much without congressional approval.

Anyway, saw this and had to share:

"Mitt Romney trails Barack Obama by 19 points in basic popularity as the 2012 presidential contest inches closer to the main event, with a record 50 percent of Americans in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll now rating Romney unfavorably overall.
Thirty-four percent hold a favorable opinion of Romney, the lowest for any leading presidential candidate in ABC/Post polls in primary seasons since 1984."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...in-popularity/

Old 03-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The president signed an executive order to close Gitmo days after taking office. He was stabbed in the back by that majority Congress that everyone wants to believe "gave him everything he wanted." As has been noted already in this thread, again contrary to want some want to believe, the president has only so much power and can do only so much without congressional approval.

Anyway, saw this and had to share:

"Mitt Romney trails Barack Obama by 19 points in basic popularity as the 2012 presidential contest inches closer to the main event, with a record 50 percent of Americans in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll now rating Romney unfavorably overall.
Thirty-four percent hold a favorable opinion of Romney, the lowest for any leading presidential candidate in ABC/Post polls in primary seasons since 1984."

Record Number See Romney Negatively; Obama Outpaces Him in Popularity - ABC News
Errr....http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ention-center/

Several newspapers that are generally favorable to Obama including the NY Times agrees with me. That he flip flopped on the issue and put forth a weak position that would essentially keep it open while making appearances to the contrary to fool...well people like you.

P.S. Romney's favorability will go up some once he secures the bid, this is typical. And anyways, what does Romney's favorability have to do with Obama's? They are both flip floppers.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:18 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Errr....PolitiFact | The Obameter: Close the Guantanamo Bay Detention Center

Several newspapers that are generally favorable to Obama including the NY Times agrees with me. That he flip flopped on the issue and put forth a weak position that would essentially keep it open while making appearances to the contrary to fool...well people like you.

P.S. Romney's favorability will go up some once he secures the bid, this is typical. And anyways, what does Romney's favorability have to do with Obama's? They are both flip floppers.
Errrr... Just what was said, congress is preventing the closure.

Quote:
Congress has pretty well tied the administration's hands, prohibiting prosecution in U.S. federal courts and making it extremely difficult to transfer them to other countries, according to Clutter.
From your own citation.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

From your own citation.
I was going to mention that several very learned people are mentioned in that link as saying they don't believe that the administration has given up on closure but, that poster seems to take Polifact opinion as fact so, it seemed rather pointless

Personally, I've had no use for them since they tried to convince people that 40% is a 'majority' but to each his or her own

Old 03-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

From your own citation.
Wait a minute. Obama promised to close it right away if elected. Then he changed it to a later date of within his first year. If Obama would have tried to fulfill that promise he could have done it with his party in power. Why did he wait until after the time frame of his promise when the Republicans were in power and then give a half-hearted effort?

Obama chose to not attempt it for any of the 171 detainees until it was clear congress was in opposition based on the Republicans win.

Hey I'll promise to paint your house right away, well I'll promise to paint your house within a year....oh I just tried to paint now that it's been 3 years, but now it is winter, I can't paint in the winter.....I didn't break a promise.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute. Obama promised to close it right away if elected. Then he changed it to a later date of within his first year. If Obama would have tried to fulfill that promise he could have done it with his party in power. Why did he wait until after the time frame of his promise when the Republicans were in power and then give a half-hearted effort?

Obama chose to not attempt it for any of the 171 detainees until it was clear congress was in opposition based on the Republicans win.

Hey I'll promise to paint your house right away, well I'll promise to paint your house within a year....oh I just tried to paint now that it's been 3 years, but now it is winter, I can't paint in the winter.....I didn't break a promise.

Note the date:

Obama signs order to close Guantanamo Bay facility - CNN

Five months later, as in the same year, when he had that so-called majority:

"In a rare, bipartisan defeat for President Barack Obama, the Senate voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to keep the prison at Guantanamo Bay open for the foreseeable future and forbid the transfer of any detainees to facilities in the United States. "

Senate blocks transfer of Gitmo detainees - politics - Capitol Hill - msnbc.com

December of the following year, again when he still had that so-called majority:

"Congress on Wednesday passed legislation that would effectively bar the transfer of Guantanamo detainees to the U.S. for trial, rejecting pleas from Obama administration officials who called the move unwise.
A defense authorization bill passed by the House and Senate included the language on the offshore prison, which President Barack Obama tried unsuccessfully to close in his first year in office. "

Congress Bars Transfers From Guantanamo Bay - WSJ.com

Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Note the date:

Obama signs order to close Guantanamo Bay facility - CNN

Five months later, as in the same year, when he had that so-called majority:

"In a rare, bipartisan defeat for President Barack Obama, the Senate voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to keep the prison at Guantanamo Bay open for the foreseeable future and forbid the transfer of any detainees to facilities in the United States. "

Senate blocks transfer of Gitmo detainees - politics - Capitol Hill - msnbc.com

December of the following year, again when he still had that so-called majority:

"Congress on Wednesday passed legislation that would effectively bar the transfer of Guantanamo detainees to the U.S. for trial, rejecting pleas from Obama administration officials who called the move unwise.
A defense authorization bill passed by the House and Senate included the language on the offshore prison, which President Barack Obama tried unsuccessfully to close in his first year in office. "

Congress Bars Transfers From Guantanamo Bay - WSJ.com
Congress blocked him from bringing them on US Soil.

Obama could still close Gitmo as a prison. He just couldn't bring them on US Soil. He could hold trials or ascertain evidence to let some go free...Bush let 500 go in this manner...he did nothing which is either a sign of ineptness not getting part of what he wanted or flip flopping by playing along.

Also for supposedly ordering no torture, the lawyer for the Gitmo detainees said it still happens and in fact at a high rate.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Congress blocked him from bringing them on US Soil.

Obama could still close Gitmo as a prison. He just couldn't bring them on US Soil. He could hold trials or ascertain evidence to let some go free...Bush let 500 go in this manner...he did nothing which is either a sign of ineptness not getting part of what he wanted or flip flopping by playing along.

Also for supposedly ordering no torture, the lawyer for the Gitmo detainees said it still happens and in fact at a high rate.
"He could hold trials ..."

Oh, there's an idea. From March 2011:

Obama to resume Gitmo military trials - TheHill.com

April 2011:

Sept. 11 Terrorist Suspects to Face Guantanamo Military Trial, U.S. Says - Bloomberg

USS Cole Mastermind to Stand Trial at Gitmo :: The Investigative Project on Terrorism

So, here's the burning question: these people are guilty - where do they go to serve out their sentences?

This year:
High-value Guantanamo Bay detainee, in first, reaches plea deal - The Washington Post

5 Gitmo detainees agree to transfer to Qatar - CBS News

Clearly the "doing nothing" continues.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, little by little in 2011 and 2012. He was elected when?

+1 to you though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections