U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:55 PM

16,680 posts, read 9,060,505 times

Advertisements

The Weekend Interview with Gina Raimondo: The Democrat Who Took on the Unions - WSJ.com

Some Democrats have tried to roll back Public Union's powers, as it is a drain on the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 24 days ago)

12,307 posts, read 7,451,597 times
The only unions which have had any success in recent years are the public-employee unions, those in fields where the taxpayer has no choice but to pay for their "services" -- or furnish his/her own (security, education) at much greater, (and often non-tax-deductible - I wonder why? ) expense.

In my home town, students and retirees work seasonally at a local unionized food plant (one where I worjked for twenty years) at a considerably lower rate of pay. The union has the smarts to recognizee that if they attempt to represent the seasonals, they might get the dues, but also price the product into a smaller market share.

That is just one moore example of how the power-grab of Big Labor and Big Government is distorting our economy, and it's only likely to get worse, until something either forces a change, or the entire mess collapses underits dead weight.

The longer we wait, the harder the fall.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-25-2012 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 AM

71,671 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
MILWAUKEE — Rick Santorum took on the unions today, calling them “bullies” as he pledged solidarity with Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker in his fight to strip public employee unions of much of their bargaining power.

“Look, I come from southwestern Pennsylvania, I grew up in a steel town. I represented one of the most heavy labor districts in the entire country.

Rick Santorum Calls Unions ‘Bullies’ - ABC News
and I happen to agree with him on this one.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 AM

7,239 posts, read 3,740,904 times
If unions are obsolete does it also mean that the 40 hour work week is obsolete along with job safety regulations,child labor laws,etc.?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I happen to agree with him on this one.
Ya,I kinda agree with him on this one too.http://tinyurl.com/cqagyav (broken link)

Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 AM

93 posts, read 51,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The only unions which have had any success in recent years are the public-employee unions, those in fields where the taxpayer has no choice but to pay for their "services" -- or furnish his/her own (security, education) at much greater, (and often non-tax-deductible - I wonder why? ) expense.

In my home town, students and retirees work seasonally at a local unionized food plant (one where I worjked for twenty years) at a considerably lower rate of pay. The union has the smarts to recognizee that if they attempt to represent the seasonals, they might get the dues, but also price the product into a smaller market share.

That is just one moore example of how the power-grab of Big Labor and Big Government is distorting our economy, and it's only likely to get worse, until something either forces a change, or the entire mess collapses underits dead weight.

The longer we wait, the harder the fall.
There will be no fall, though. No moment of awareness or transformation. The rich will get richer, the poor will get poorer, and the dumbest of the poor will vote for Republicans who actively and openly campaign against their interests. It's just how America works.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 AM

1,946 posts, read 1,537,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If unions are obsolete does it also mean that the 40 hour work week is obsolete along with job safety regulations,child labor laws,etc.?
The free market will take care of regulating all those. We don't need unions for that. It's plain fearmongering to mislead people into thinking that sweat shops will open up all over town with 80 hour work weeks the very next day we get rid of the unions. Nothing of the sort will happen. The economy will actually flourish. Of course, the doofuses who were only able to hold their jobs together because of the unions will now actually have to perform at their jobs to keep them. Oh, the tragedy!

Unions just negotiate to give themselves more moolah in the name of "protecting" the workers, and in the process, bankrupting the companies which hired them in the first place. The companies lose, the shareholders lose, and the unions too lose in the end, but their hope is that they would have stuffed their pockets enough by that point that they can move onto the next prey. It's extortion and nothing else.

You know the unions have developed into a cancer on the society, when in NY, even a teacher who is a child molester cannot be fired because of opposition from the unions. Fact.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 AM

7,239 posts, read 3,740,904 times
The steel company I worked for is in the process of building a $1.2 billion dollar state of the art hot rolling mill. It`s being built with union labor(Ironworkers Local 3 and it will be operated by USWA members.I`d say you know very little about unions. far from bankrupt,this project is being built with cash that the company earned via union labor.
ATI chooses firm to supply rolling mill in Brackenridge - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Tell me about this convicted child molester who`s teaching.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM

10,005 posts, read 8,993,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I agree. Unions protect the horrible teachers. When teachers are hired they get seniority based on when they are hired. So if a school needs to lay off* a teacher, they do it based in seniority and not merit.

*perhaps because they get overcharged by the Union monopoly on providing health care
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
We should be pushing for charter schools like crazy. If unions want to exist in that space, they'll have to adapt drastically.

Charter schools get results, plain and simple. Teachers unions and federal/state/local bureaucracies are a hindrance and not a help -- and the very interesting thing about charter schools is the complete lack of all of those groups. If you want the USA to be the number 1 educational system in the world, teachers unions as presently constituted will never let it happen.

The thing is, it doesn't have to be this way. Some unions simply choose to be bad for America by getting their priorities out of whack. They can change but refuse to.
The amount of blame you are putting on teachers unions for school issues is ridiculous. In the state I live in Public employee unions are illegal, I hate to break your fantasy up, but it does not really change anything in terms of quality. In fact, there are states with unions that do a much better job then we do.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM

25,235 posts, read 13,995,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
You have cause and effect confused.

The unions have always been "all in" for the Dems because they are the party of the working class. The GOP is and always has been the party of the investing class. The GOP is anti-labor, because unions force their their corporate contributors to provide good paying jobs at fair wages, in safe environments. All of which, of course, cuts into the almighty profit margin.

Some unions have occasionally supported the GOP, most famously in the Vietnam War era, when socially conservative hard-hats backed Nixon ( and later Reagan, until his anti-labor practices became apparent). Occassionally, Labor leaders will try to squeeze the Dems by flirting with their GOP opponents.

But unless we someday have a Labor Party in the US, union workers will always be at home in the Democratic Party.
Well said! I love the comment another poster made saying Unions should stay Neutral, really, are Republicans staying neutral on Unions, I think not. Republicans, represented by posters here that:
Oppose Child Labor Laws,
Oppose Minimum Wages,
Believe that empolyeers have the right to deny certain health coverages because they disagree with them or simply do not want to pay for them,
Oppose the right of Americans to form a group to bargain for salaries and benefits with big business or the government.
Anyone that believes the GOP have the best interests of American workers in mind, has lost theirs.

Last edited by Casper in Dallas; 03-27-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections