Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:35 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

MILWAUKEE — Rick Santorum took on the unions today, calling them “bullies” as he pledged solidarity with Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker in his fight to strip public employee unions of much of their bargaining power.

“Look, I come from southwestern Pennsylvania, I grew up in a steel town. I represented one of the most heavy labor districts in the entire country.

Rick Santorum Calls Unions ‘Bullies’ - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
MILWAUKEE — Rick Santorum took on the unions today, calling them “bullies” as he pledged solidarity with Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker in his fight to strip public employee unions of much of their bargaining power.

“Look, I come from southwestern Pennsylvania, I grew up in a steel town. I represented one of the most heavy labor districts in the entire country.

In my opinion, unions in this country sabotaged themselves when they went all-in without condition for the Democratic Party.

IF they had been smart, they'd have stayed politically neutral and allowed their support to be drawn by whichever party did the right things to benefit their specific line of work. Instead, they quite slavishly sold themselves to the Democrats. The GOP cannot win them over no matter what and that will never change. So the unions have given the GOP a vested interest in weakening and destroying unions. In principal, the GOP is only really against them because the unions are unwavering supporters of the Democrats.

Case in point: If the teamsters union were to turn against Obama over high gas prices and support the GOP candidate, then the Democrats would learn a painful lesson from it -- they cannot take union support for granted.

If either party can win your support, your bargaining power is much stronger. If you blindly support one side without condition, that side doesn't have to work to maintain your support and the opposition has every reason to try to destroy you.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:47 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,191 times
Gotta agree with him on this one.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,294 times
Quote:

That will come as a big surprise to the 14,000 members of the Greater Pittsburgh Regional Council of Carpenters Union, which endorsed Santorum in '06 in exchange for his support on a big tunnel project:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RqTsuGuzCG_3Ug

Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
That will come as a big surprise to the 14,000 members of the Greater Pittsburgh Regional Council of Carpenters Union, which endorsed Santorum in '06 in exchange for his support on a big tunnel project:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RqTsuGuzCG_3Ug
Members? Or the Bosses?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
In my opinion, unions in this country sabotaged themselves when they went all-in without condition for the Democratic Party.

IF they had been smart, they'd have stayed politically neutral and allowed their support to be drawn by whichever party did the right things to benefit their specific line of work. Instead, they quite slavishly sold themselves to the Democrats. The GOP cannot win them over no matter what and that will never change. So the unions have given the GOP a vested interest in weakening and destroying unions. In principal, the GOP is only really against them because the unions are unwavering supporters of the Democrats.

Case in point: If the teamsters union were to turn against Obama over high gas prices and support the GOP candidate, then the Democrats would learn a painful lesson from it -- they cannot take union support for granted.

If either party can win your support, your bargaining power is much stronger. If you blindly support one side without condition, that side doesn't have to work to maintain your support and the opposition has every reason to try to destroy you.
You have cause and effect confused.

The unions have always been "all in" for the Dems because they are the party of the working class. The GOP is and always has been the party of the investing class. The GOP is anti-labor, because unions force their their corporate contributors to provide good paying jobs at fair wages, in safe environments. All of which, of course, cuts into the almighty profit margin.

Some unions have occasionally supported the GOP, most famously in the Vietnam War era, when socially conservative hard-hats backed Nixon ( and later Reagan, until his anti-labor practices became apparent). Occassionally, Labor leaders will try to squeeze the Dems by flirting with their GOP opponents.

But unless we someday have a Labor Party in the US, union workers will always be at home in the Democratic Party.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Members? Or the Bosses?
That's another thing the Right hates about unions- they are democratic. The members ELECT the bosses, who then REPRESENT the members. If the members don't like what the bosses are doing, they vote them out.

I was a member, and sometimes officer, in a union for 30 years. Did I always agree with everything the union brass did? Of course not. But it was our job as members to keep the bosses honest and responsive.

It's just like being a citizen of the US. I don't always like what my government is doing, either, so I try to do what I can to influence its behavior. Primarily by voting.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,188 times
Quote:
You have cause and effect confused.

The unions have always been "all in" for the Dems because they are the party of the working class. The GOP is and always has been the party of the investing class. The GOP is anti-labor, because unions force their their corporate contributors to provide good paying jobs at fair wages, in safe environments. All of which, of course, cuts into the almighty profit margin.

Some unions have occasionally supported the GOP, most famously in the Vietnam War era, when socially conservative hard-hats backed Nixon ( and later Reagan, until his anti-labor practices became apparent). Occassionally, Labor leaders will try to squeeze the Dems by flirting with their GOP opponents.

But unless we someday have a Labor Party in the US, union workers will always be at home in the Democratic Party.
The Teddy Roosevelt Republicans Party was very pro-worker. Teddy's own flavor of Republican, the Progressive Party, was vastly more pro-worker than Democrats or Republicans of his time.

Clearly, on those very rare occasions when unions flirt with the GOP, they need to flirt back more.

I think Romney has a couple of very smart ideas that are worth looking at. A Republican proposing to tie minimum wage with inflation? Blasphemy!! But it's good blasphemy and the kind that the GOP needs to warm up to. The more conservative GOP wants to abolish minimum wage entirely and that's just stupid. GOP needs to move towards the center if they want to survive.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 PM

26,488 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:

They can be bullies. My brother was physically not allowed to do his job by Union members and cover McCain for the local newspaper when he visited town.

I saw fellow teachers (Union Members) bully a teacher that didn't want to be a union member and went to court over it.

Why does Obama support Unions blocking private votes for certification and other important Union elections? The reason that they want public votes is so that they can intimidate (bully) people who vote against how the union wants you to vote.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:49 PM

26,488 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
That's another thing the Right hates about unions- they are democratic. The members ELECT the bosses, who then REPRESENT the members. If the members don't like what the bosses are doing, they vote them out.

I was a member, and sometimes officer, in a union for 30 years. Did I always agree with everything the union brass did? Of course not. But it was our job as members to keep the bosses honest and responsive.

It's just like being a citizen of the US. I don't always like what my government is doing, either, so I try to do what I can to influence its behavior. Primarily by voting.
Yes, my union is so democratic, we can't have private votes on any big issue, so we can get intimidated into voting certain ways. We really don't have a choice to be in the union, either we join or don't become a teacher for the standard public school. My union owns its health insurance provider and it has a monopoly through collective bargaining that allows it to charge over fair market price. That is less money for teachers and the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections