Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Not only will Mitt Romney's proposed new beach house have a 3,600-square-foot basement, it will have a split-level four-car garage … with an elevator for the cars. Politico procured the 2008 plans for the renovation (by way of a rival campaign), which involves tearing down the existing California mansion and replacing it with something much bigger. So will the finished product be quadruple the size of the current mansion or just double?

Mitt Romney's 4-car fantasy home - Reid J. Epstein - POLITICO.com
Good for him spending his hard earned money how he sees fit and creating jobs. That's what the private sector does, create jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Regular people who have MS have to move or just walk up stairs in pain. Some have to do without medicine because they can't afford it. Others must make major sacrifices in their lifestyles. Romney is entitled to the money he "earned" by putting regular people out of work with his vulture capitalism, I suppose, but his connection to average people is going to be called into question even more than it already is. Today's polls show Romney with big, and I think insurmountable, negative ratings. Things like elevators in his mansion for his car aren't going to help. It simply reinforces his image as an out of touch one-percenter.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Thost garages are actually pretty cool. We had one like that in our apt in Europe and they save on space. That is, if the car elevator is something like what i remember.

Anyway, it's his own money. That's fine with me. I don't care about his wealth, i care about his policies.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
I'm a car guy. I fully support rich people owning lots of really cool cars - otherwise, why would such cars be built?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
My parents live on a lake that connects to Lake Michigan. Some of the summer homes near them have elevators for cars and boats in a garage. The zoning around my parents' place do not allow for unattached building like garages or sheds, even if the property is big enough.

Good for Mitt Romney to do it. It's his money and he can do what he wants with it. He did not ask for special favors...he applied for zoning like everyone else. He did not use a law firm to conceal his identity, etc.

I'm thinking of adding a 3rd stall garage to our house. I need to think how it my impact my future in politics!

What a silly non-issue. It's not going to impact my vote for Romney in the General Election this fall.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
He needs a car elevator because his wife has MS? Think about that one for a second.

Could care less what Romney does with his money, but once again, you see him being completely tone deaf. Surveys say that people don't feel that Romney understands people like them (on an economic level), and this only makes that perception worse. He really just astounds me.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,223,297 times
The richer you are, the more out of touch you are with the average working class family. Romney's wealth is hurting him but thats not the only thing. Nobody likes him and he looks angry all the time. An elevator in a home is one thing but an elevator for cars is over the top. He comes from a different world than the average family.........update. I just read the article and he will have a separate elevator for each of the four cars. And I thought one was over the top!! What next? elevator music? Then the house will have an outdoor shower with a water feature. This is just one of his homes!

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-28-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
More than likely the proposed elevator was or is because of Ann Romney's Mutiple Sclerosis. At one time, it was so bad that she could not navigate stairs very well and they had discussed an elevator for that purpose. It affects your balance. I have heard Mitt Romney talk about this. Her MS has improved but she still has some of the affects of it.
Hmm. If Mr. Romney is building said car elevator for the benefit of his wife's medical condition, I wonder if he or she obtained a medical doctor's certificate of necessity and applied for Medicare Part B to cover 80 percent of the expense?

Note: such an application would probably be denied.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Not only will Mitt Romney's proposed new beach house have a 3,600-square-foot basement, it will have a split-level four-car garage … with an elevator for the cars. Politico procured the 2008 plans for the renovation (by way of a rival campaign), which involves tearing down the existing California mansion and replacing it with something much bigger. So will the finished product be quadruple the size of the current mansion or just double?

Mitt Romney's 4-car fantasy home - Reid J. Epstein - POLITICO.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
More than likely the proposed elevator was or is because of Ann Romney's Mutiple Sclerosis. At one time, it was so bad that she could not navigate stairs very well and they had discussed an elevator for that purpose. It affects your balance. I have heard Mitt Romney talk about this. Her MS has improved but she still has some of the affects of it.
Do her cadillacs have MS as well?

Now don't get me wrong I think a car elevator is really cool, but lets be honest here.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I'm a car guy. I fully support rich people owning lots of really cool cars - otherwise, why would such cars be built?
Cool cars would be built because that's what car guys do, whether there's dilettantes wanting to buy them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections