U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 PM

1,347 posts, read 920,977 times

Advertisements

I know this is hard for some to understand (and I don't say that condescendingly, We all think about the world, form opinions, and make decisions in different ways). But when Mitt forms his opinions, I don't think emotions are much of a factor. I've heard he's a very warm, loving man, so I'm not saying he's emotionless, but I think his decision-making is a little more detached from that. In his thinking, his dad was doing what was best for the business. For every job lost in Michigan, at least one was probably created in Wisconsin. If the move was intended to downsize, then it was probably done because it we be too expensive to keep operating as they were, and if the company went bankrupt, everyone would be laid-off. So from Mitt's perspective, while some were hurt by the move, more were helped. That makes it a net positive. And as such, it's ok to make a joke since it's a good thing. I could be wrong, but this is the impression I get from him. And I can personally relate to it since I tend to view the world this way as well, for better or for worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,871,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Well clearly Wisconsin had a more favorable business climate, or he wouldn't have done it. .
I agree lol......hey, have you seen the new Rambler? That is a sharp looking car, isn't it? And that new model of Pacer is way ahead of the trend isn't it? Certainly was a good move moving out of Michigan. BTW, how many are on the payroll of American Motors these days?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I agree lol......hey, have you seen the new Rambler? That is a sharp looking car, isn't it? And that new model of Pacer is way ahead of the trend isn't it? Certainly was a good move moving out of Michigan. BTW, how many are on the payroll of American Motors these days?
AMC was doing great in 1962 when George Romney resigned to become governor of Michigan. Their decline was long after his tenure

Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 PM

1,946 posts, read 1,538,017 times
Quote:
I know this is hard for some to understand (and I don't say that condescendingly, We all think about the world, form opinions, and make decisions in different ways). But when Mitt forms his opinions, I don't think emotions are much of a factor. I've heard he's a very warm, loving man, so I'm not saying he's emotionless, but I think his decision-making is a little more detached from that. In his thinking, his dad was doing what was best for the business. For every job lost in Michigan, at least one was probably created in Wisconsin. If the move was intended to downsize, then it was probably done because it we be too expensive to keep operating as they were, and if the company went bankrupt, everyone would be laid-off. So from Mitt's perspective, while some were hurt by the move, more were helped. That makes it a net positive. And as such, it's ok to make a joke since it's a good thing. I could be wrong, but this is the impression I get from him. And I can personally relate to it since I tend to view the world this way as well, for better or for worse.
I don't argue the business reasons behind the move. No President/CEO of a private company makes such a decision if it's going to be a loss to the company. You don't have to explain that. But I would expect a sensitive man to do this with a heavy heart. At the very least, don't rub it into people as if you don't care. Romney truly lives in his gilded shell and might often be befuddled as to why everyone doesn't own 20 mansions like him.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:43 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,844,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I don't think Mitt's too stupid to be president (that bar is set pretty low).

But I do think, especially after seeing him on Leno, that he lacks the mental dexterity to successfully perform the balancing act he'll need to keep the Right on his side, AND bring women and independents back into the fold, in the general election.

The more exposure Romney gets, the higher his negatives. The guy reeks of sleezy inauthenticity, and it turns people off. I don't see anyway he can reverse that. It's too late to come out as the "Real Romney"- who would believe him

I thought he was actually surprisingly good on Leno and very quick witted with some of his responses. Not sure what you expected but I don't think he sings and dances or anything like that.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM

16,690 posts, read 9,063,254 times
I agree with the Obama supporters. George W Bush was a better option than Al Gore for President in 2000. Al Gore was boring, socially awkward, and had a hard time connecting to people.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I don't argue the business reasons behind the move. No President/CEO of a private company makes such a decision if it's going to be a loss to the company. You don't have to explain that. But I would expect a sensitive man to do this with a heavy heart. At the very least, don't rub it into people as if you don't care. Romney truly lives in his gilded shell and might often be befuddled as to why everyone doesn't own 20 mansions like him.

This is something that happened decades ago, I highly doubt anyone is still sensitive about it. Also, Romney didn't do it, his father did. His father must not have been hurt too badly by it, he was loved in Michigan and is still talked about very favorably by peopel who knew him.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I still don't think you understand what I'm trying to say (and it's my fault, I think I was little to verbose and wasn't very clear). He's not looking at individual humans. He's looking at people collectively. More people were helped than hurt. So why he should he feel bad about or sorry about doing something that is a net positive for people.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,994,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Mitt Romney Tells 'Humorous' Story About Father Closing A Michigan Factory

How funny. I can see him trying to explain the loss of 4300 jobs to the people he was asking to vote for him. I bet they had a lot of laughs about how he had to act all sorry and everything. Great dinner party story, eh?
Its almost as though he is trying to be the GOP John Kerry.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
AMC was doing great in 1962 when George Romney resigned to become governor of Michigan. Their decline was long after his tenure

Yes, George Romney is who brought them back from the brink of total collapse. That is how he made most of his wealth. He took all of their life savings including the kid's birthday money they had saved and bought American Motors stock when it was selling for almost nothing and in a year it was worth something like $95.00 a share. He was responsible for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections