Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,058 times

Advertisements

I saw this article in the Washington Post about "Romniacs," or people who passionately support Governor Romney. Given the paper's pretty heavy liberal bias, they try to make it sound like the 5-10 people they talked to are Romney's only die-hard fans. In my personal work with the campaign, I KNOW this is not even close to true. But even so, I'm not so delusional to think Romney-mania is sweeping the nation, nor will it ever (well, not until he becomes president and kicks butt!). And I don't the average person knows too many people swept up in the Romney craze. He just isn't the kind of guy who has a cult of personality. But some of us like that.

Mitt’s ‘Romniacs’ united by an uncommon passion for Republican hopeful - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,339 times
Quote:
Many of them, but not all, are Mormons like Romney.
I guess that explains it. If Donald Duck was a Mormon and running, they would all have orgasms about Donald Duck too.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I guess that explains it. If Donald Duck was a Mormon and running, they would all have orgasms about Donald Duck too.
That's kind of unfair to characterize an entire group of people like that. I'd prefer to not respond and fuel these kind of generalizations, but I will in an attempt to refute it.

Mormons are pretty conservative as it is. A candidate's personal factors are generally what attracts primary voters to them over other candidates from the same party. Most Mormons I know would support a candidate like Romney anyway. The fact that he has such tremendous support from Mormons, however, I do think has to do with the fact that he is Mormon. To be clear, I'm NOT saying people are voting their religion. That's not it at all. What I'm saying is that Romney clearly has a problem getting voters to connect to him. They like his politics (well, they have supported other candidates with similar policies in GOP primaries, so I can infer that), it's just a relatability issue. Well, if you share something in common like faith, that removes that hindrance.

In the chance that you have any Mormon friends (though if you talk to their face the way you talk about them here, I would guess you don't associate with them), ask them what they think of Harry Reid. I think it might turn your view upside down.

Last edited by tmsterp; 03-28-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
I am not a Mormon and I support Romney. None of may family are Mormons and they all support Romney. I also know hundreds of people who support Romney. Guess I just know the right people...lol.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,339 times
I won't dispute that Mormons are mostly Republican. Romney is a Mormon Republican candidate so he gets Mormon support. If it was some other Mormon on the GOP ticket, that candidate would get the Mormon support. Of course they vote their religion. There is nothing groundbreaking about your "Romniacs" discovery.

Romniacs = Mormons voting for Romney.

I wouldn't get too excited about this if I were you. But since corporate robot Romney probably doesn't even excite his own family, I can see why you can be excited about this shred of "news".

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am not a Mormon and I support Romney. None of may family are Mormons and they all support Romney. I also know hundreds of people who support Romney. Guess I just know the right people...lol.
Seriously, Romney would not be winning if only Mormons liked him. Heck, even if we only want to talk die hard supporters - if only Mormons were willing to donate, phone bank, volunteer, etc that still wouldn't be enough.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
If it was some other Mormon on the GOP ticket, that candidate would get the Mormon support.
I'm a Mormon and an Obama supporter.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I won't dispute that Mormons are mostly Republican. Romney is a Mormon Republican candidate so he gets Mormon support. If it was some other Mormon on the GOP ticket, that candidate would get the Mormon support. Of course they vote their religion. There is nothing groundbreaking about your "Romniacs" discovery.

Romniacs = Mormons voting for Romney.

I wouldn't get too excited about this if I were you. But since corporate robot Romney probably doesn't even excite his own family, I can see why you can be excited about this shred of "news".
I didn't say it was news. I'm not excited about it, because I already knew it was true.

Orrin Hatch ran for president in 2000. He didn't win the Mormon vote. He didn't win Utah. He generally polled behind Bush in Utah (I can't find any polling that showed his support among Mormons, and I can't draw conclusions from exit polls since he dropped out after Iowa).

Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
I saw this article in the Washington Post about "Romniacs," or people who passionately support Governor Romney. Given the paper's pretty heavy liberal bias, they try to make it sound like the 5-10 people they talked to are Romney's only die-hard fans. In my personal work with the campaign, I KNOW this is not even close to true. But even so, I'm not so delusional to think Romney-mania is sweeping the nation, nor will it ever (well, not until he becomes president and kicks butt!). And I don't the average person knows too many people swept up in the Romney craze. He just isn't the kind of guy who has a cult of personality. But some of us like that.

Mitt’s ‘Romniacs’ united by an uncommon passion for Republican hopeful - The Washington Post
Out of curiosity, what will you say when your unwavering support of an unelectable candidate contributes to giving us another 4yrs of Obama (not that it really matters since 4yrs of Romney would be little different)?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Seriously, Romney would not be winning if only Mormons liked him. Heck, even if we only want to talk die hard supporters - if only Mormons were willing to donate, phone bank, volunteer, etc that still wouldn't be enough.

Exactly, it's just silly for people to think that only Mormon's support Romney. The support for him will come together as soon as Santorum and Newt get out and we can wrap this thing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections