Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM

152 posts, read 149,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are aware he has said over and over he will not accpet the nomination?? Whether he is offered it and does change his mind remains to be seen, but this will not stop him from eventually running for Pres...
I doubt he would turn it down. Why would he? Its a great booster to his career unless he knows like most Americans with some common sense that America doesn't want Romney and he will lose come November if he is the nominee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,811,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Sounds like a solid endorsement to me. It sounds to me like he didn't want to pick sides while there was still a chance of someone else winning considering what a strong VP candidate he is. I wouldn't take that as a slight against Romney, more his own political ambitions. And to be clear, I'm not criticizing him, I think it was a smart move.
When you put it that way, it sounds more like an endorsement for the purpose of furthering his own political career rather than because he truly believes in Mitt Romney. If he really believes Mitt is the best candidate, why didn't he endorse him three months ago? You already answered this--because it's not about Romney, it's about Rubio. He sees the writing on the wall and wants to have endorsed the winning candidate, whoever that is, so he'll be in the running for a VP spot. And that's what counts as a ringing endorsement to you?

I don't think I've seen one endorsement from a prominent Republican that sounds truly enthusiastic for their front runner. They sound more like resignation.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 AM

53 posts, read 33,775 times
Ah, the schoolboy senator finally endorses plasticman.

Shocking ... lol

Hopefully $Willard will put this rookie on the ticket.

Watching Marco 'The Embellisher' drown with $Willie in Nov. will make things that much more enjoyable...

Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,081,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
When you put it that way, it sounds more like an endorsement for the purpose of furthering his own political career rather than because he truly believes in Mitt Romney. If he really believes Mitt is the best candidate, why didn't he endorse him three months ago? You already answered this--because it's not about Romney, it's about Rubio. He sees the writing on the wall and wants to have endorsed the winning candidate, whoever that is, so he'll be in the running for a VP spot. And that's what counts as a ringing endorsement to you?

I don't think I've seen one endorsement from a prominent Republican that sounds truly enthusiastic for their front runner. They sound more like resignation.
Romney gets a new endorsement just about everyday, and many of his endorsements from prominent Republicans came months ago, and they were very enthusiastic. (then of course theree's Jim DeMint, anyone. )Only a few of the rent ons have been less than enthusitic.

My point is Rubio probably supported Mitt from the start, that's why he said favorable things about him when the race came to Florida and not-so-favorable things about Gingrich. He just didn't want to endorse in case Gingrich were the nominee somehow. It would blow his chances of the VP role. Either that or Rubio didn't care who the nominee was and all along was just willing to get behind the presumptive nominee. But he has expressed enthusiasm for Romney since long before this endorsement.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 AM

22,230 posts, read 17,772,006 times
Rubio endorses Romney? That and about $2.50 will get a bit of Gingrich gas.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,821,156 times
Quote:
Romney gets a new endorsement just about everyday
True, and they're all just as hypocritical. He's obviously going to be the Republican nominee, so that's why we are hearing from politicians like Rubio. He was watching to make sure, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
If Rubio is on the ticket, watch the idiot birthers keep their mouths shut about his birth even though BOTH his parents are immigrants while only one of President Obama's parents is. They always prefer their hypocrisy to rational thought.
Talk about hypocrisy - what about the endorsement from Bush #41? Romney said he wants to shut down Planned Parenthood. Wasn't Bush a big Planned Parenthood supporter? Didn't he endorse Cap and Trade and sign it into legislation in 1988 after he took office?

"When I was fighting against cap and trade, the speaker was sitting down with Nancy Pelosi on a sofa encouraging it.." Romney

So, I guess the endorsement means little except to say, "I endorse you because I support the party, not you." I'm not saying it's wrong or unexpected either. In fact, it's very common on both sides of the aisle.

I'm curious. Did George W. Bush endorse Romney or is he hiding somewhere? Strange that he isn't involved in any of this, huh? George HW Bush, Jeb Bush, Barbara Bush, our former First Lady, even Jeb's son all spoke up and gave their family support for Romney. Where's W in all of this?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,081,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

I'm curious. Did George W. Bush endorse Romney or is he hiding somewhere? Strange that he isn't involved in any of this, huh? George HW Bush, Jeb Bush, Barbara Bush, our former First Lady, even Jeb's son all spoke up and gave their family support for Romney. Where's W in all of this?
the best endorsement W can give is not saying anything. And he knows that.

Just because Bush 1 and Romney disagree on a few things doesn't make it weird to endorse him. Do you think any other candidate in the race would be a better match?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,811,213 times
Quote:
the best endorsement W can give is not saying anything. And he knows that.
We agree on that!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM

25,040 posts, read 27,794,165 times
I'm not at all surprised. Rubio is the "rising star" of the GOP and is a shoe-in for a VP nomination with Romney now that Christie has adamantly said no to VP

Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM

37,728 posts, read 40,764,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
Do you think we could see a Romney/Rubio ticket?
Romney needs a VP pick with Foreign Policy experience. I don't know who that should be but that's what he should be looking for...and seeing how the primary voting is going it wouldn't hurt if that VP pick with foreign policy experience came from the South. My choice for Romney would be Jim DeMint (Senate Foreign Relations Committee). He'd bring the southerners and the conservatives on board, especially the fiscal conservatives and those in favor of personal liberty.

Just say "no" to Lindsey Graham.

Is Rubio even toilet trained yet? Too soon for him.

Last edited by LauraC; 03-29-2012 at 12:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections