Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:44 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I thoroughly dislike Santorum almost as much as I dislike Bachmann.

IMHO, the video doesn't provide proof that he almost said the n-word.
How can you prove something that almost happened??? He stopped himself right before, "government nig...".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

What I have in bold is enough for me to stop reading and just ignore you for the rest of this thread.

If you're going to keep throwing b.s. about how this is all an agenda or how I'm throwing the race card, then there's just no talking to you. I could have easily said the same about Moby Dick Newt or Romney Bot, or even Paul, but no. If I had an agenda, I'd go out and slam everyone of em. But I don't because this is about what Santourm did. If you're gonna defend him with this, fine. But (believe it or not) there are some guys like Santourm who ARE closet racists/homophobes. And I see him as such. Deal with it.
There are closet racists/homophobes... agreed. And?????
I dont need to deal with any of your race card playing garbage. I deal with thruths and not not some knee jerk reactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I think I see the problem with you. Comprehension skills are a bit wack....
You have an agenda it's obvious. Use your head and think.

Anti war government??? What does that mean. It was a mistake on Santorums part
Anti war BIG government was what he was going to say is my educated guess. He messed up, stuttered, and started another sentence.

You on the other hand don't think and play the race card. No effort to search for the truth on this one on your part whatsoever.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
There are closet racists/homophobes... agreed. And?????
I dont need to deal with any of your race card playing garbage. I deal with thruths and not not some knee jerk reactions.

You have an agenda it's obvious. Use your head and think.

Anti war government??? What does that mean. It was a mistake on Santorums part
Anti war BIG government was what he was going to say is my educated guess. He messed up, stuttered, and started another sentence.

You on the other hand don't think and play the race card. No effort to search for the truth on this one on your part whatsoever.
HE SAID 'NIG'. Good God, is it so hard for you not to think he was going to say it? That's the problem... you're stuck in your own head, the same thing you're accusing me and others here of. If you didn't want to deal with my so called "race card playing garbage", then you shouldn't have responded to me in the first place.

No I don't have an agenda. I'm not trying to get Santorum out of the race by posting my thoughts on what he was going to say. I don't think posting what I view about this guy on a damned internet forum will change much. It's not an agenda, it's my thoughts on who he is and I see right through him. And you're saying we should focus on his policies? We could do that, except, this ISN'T about his policies. This is about a slip up that may or may not have been (happy ) a racial slur in the making.

If you're gonna be that oblivious about it, then go ahead.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
a couple of thoughts that i have about this incident:

for starters, i can't stand santorum at all, and think that he is the least qualified candidate running, in either party, and has the scariest concept of what a president should be.

i also wouldn't be surprised if he is racist, and if he has called black people racist names in the past.

that said, there is no way i am convinced that as some of you are saying, "there is no question that this was what he was going to say."

to say that there is no question, when he didn't even finish the word, or his thought for that matter, says to me that you don't know how to critically think about an issue. it means that you haven't explored it from other angles, and just assume that your first guess, based on prejudice and agenda, is correct. if you are going to be logical about it, intellectually honest about it, then you have to conclude that there are many questions, and that there are many other possible explanations for what he did.

i stutter pretty often, mix up my syllables and the words in my sentences, and can completely understand how someone like santorum that has proven himself socially and mentally incompetent could panic after stuttering in a way that sounded bad, and then just change the subject with the hope that no one noticed.

as much as i'd love to believe that santorum was digging his own grave with a racist remark, i just don't think that this is the probable explanation. either way, enough people are going to be convinced that he was being racist that i am pretty sure he is even more politically dead in the water than he already was, and i am ok with that.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Didn't listen to the video, did ya
Why would they? They have no interest in facts.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
One might think that if Barack Obama actually had said that.
Yes, I know what you mean. People often edit the words or meaning to a video. Maybe someone already used it (don't really know) but I use the term "Breitbarting" when people take videos and chop them to distort the real message.

Example: Your neighbor John is speaking at a local group about marriage: "I thought to myself at that moment, my wife will never know. I think I'll cheat on her. But then I realized how much I love her and that, if I lost her trust, it would be betraying her and our children, so I went home and then prayed and got spiritual counseling from my pastor and our marriage is now stronger than ever."

You go home and tell your wife: "Did you hear? John said "My wife will never know. I think I'll cheat on her."

Yes, those are the same words John said, but taken out of context.

By the way, in my humble opinion, Obama is absolutely correct. I'm sure his grandmother felt fear when she saw men of color. Most White people, if walking at night, will feel entirely different passing a group of Caucasian men than Black or Hispanic men. In fact, I've heard average citizens use the word "gang of Blacks" (not referring to actual gang members) instead of "group." It might be unintentional, but it shows racial bias and stereotyping.

As I said, although I don't hear Santorum saying a hate word beginning with the letter N, it sounds very close to it. What I do hear is the image he's trying to project, like Palin, of a man who is not a real American and we should fear him because he's not like the rest of us. Fear and hate are very strong emotions, and those are what people like Santorum are selling to his supporters. You can tell a child that "the bogeyman will get you" and he doesn't need to see one to believe someone evil is hiding in his closet.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
If I stutter when I say something innocuous, I don't lose my composure or place. Whatever Santorum was trying to say, threw him off his speech enough that he was stammering trying to recompose himself.

Santorum stutters or chews up his words all the time. This is the first time I've seen him "misspeak" and be substantially thrown off. He realized he let something slip that shouldn't have, and you can see the shock in his face & hear it in his voice.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:52 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
You still want to say he is not racist your just as messed up as he his here is a video clip of him calling out black people

Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
If I stutter when I say something innocuous, I don't lose my composure or place. Whatever Santorum was trying to say, threw him off his speech enough that he was stammering trying to recompose himself.

Santorum stutters or chews up his words all the time. This is the first time I've seen him "misspeak" and be substantially thrown off. He realized he let something slip that shouldn't have, and you can see the shock in his face & hear it in his voice.
If you lose your train of thought in front of many people it can be very disrupting. It is automatic.
If you say something that sounds wrong, like a dirty word etc.. sure you could be very thrown off.
Doesn't mean anything other than a phonetic wrong turn.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
IMHO, this is a partisan hack job. Most liberals know Santorum didn't "almost say the N-word". As a left leaner, I thought the below piece was weak. I never thought I'd defend a jerk like Santorum...but I guess that's exactly what I'm doing...

10 reasons I don’t give Santorum the benefit of the doubt about saying the n-word | The Raw Story

"Last week, former Senator and current presidential candidate Rick Santorum (R-PA) was forced to deny he called Obama the n-word after video emerged in which he said, “We know the candidate Barack Obama, what he was like – the anti-war government nih… America was a source for division around the world, that what we were doing was wrong.” And then the debates began.

But while I expected conservative sites to slam us for pointing it out, I didn’t expect liberals to suggest that Santorum be given the benefit of the doubt for a “flub,” as I saw from a variety of liberal Twitterers and pundits. Nor did I expect the mainstream media to ignore it almost entirely — though, when the party line is that he didn’t really mean or intend to say it, I suppose I’m not surprised."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections