U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:42 PM
 
Location: West Egg
2,161 posts, read 1,659,740 times
Reputation: 1278

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
John Kerry?
Nope, Kerry maxed out at 45%, in October 2004 -- at this point in 2004 (late March) Kerry was at 36% unfavorable.

Kerry's 2004 favorable/unfavorable, per Gallup:

Candidate Favorable Ratings -- John Kerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Fargo, ND
1,034 posts, read 1,091,772 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh, they probably will increase.
Problem is, in his rush to please the far Right crazies so that he can secure the nomination he's done a LOT of damage to himself in the eyes of the moderate and independent voters (and especially among the huge Hispanic voting block). It's going to take an awful lot to undo all that - especially when the Obama campaign begins running ads showing the things Romney said earlier.

Romney's chances of wining are "not good".

Ken
I don't think Romney has really done that much to please the far right though, he has said a few things but they have been wishy washy at best. He can pivot to the center but the damage might be done in regards to Hispanics. At best he might hope they don't turnout, they aren't exactly the most dependable group of voters but he does need to close that gap a bit in order to win. I'm not sure if picking Rubio would be enough to do it, of course it would give him a big bump in Florida.

Honestly Obama has said a lot of things as well that Romney and the Super PACs can run ads about, this race could get very ugly if the campaigns let things get out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,868 posts, read 22,722,776 times
Reputation: 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
I don't think Romney has really done that much to please the far right though, he has said a few things but they have been wishy washy at best.
They might sound "wishy washy" to folks on the Right, but they don't sound wishy washy to people in the CENTER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
He can pivot to the center but the damage might be done in regards to Hispanics. At best he might hope they don't turnout, they aren't exactly the most dependable group of voters but he does need to close that gap a bit in order to win. I'm not sure if picking Rubio would be enough to do it, of course it would give him a big bump in Florida.
Yeah he's in BIG trouble regarding the Hispanics. Picking Rubio would be the smartest move he could make - and even that might not be enough to win over the Hispanics (they are pretty p*ssed).

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Greater Washington, DC
1,347 posts, read 920,977 times
Reputation: 235
This is 100% a result of the new primary system unfortunately. It's not like the guy never ran for preaident before, we know what he's about. And he doesnt sound any different now than he did in 08. If anything heI sounds better, more confident. Its these brutal, sustained attacks from his own party that caused this. Fortunately he can rebuild. He really hasnt said anything extreme and I dont know why moderates would think he did. He pretty much ran on the same things Republicans have been running for years.

Finally, he has favorability thats roughly equal to Obama's, and Obama hasnt been under attack the way Romney has yet. Game on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 03:21 PM
 
8,758 posts, read 8,844,209 times
Reputation: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup.
The GOP has created a monster (the Rightwing Crazies - as you put it) and can't control it. The problem with your 1st sentence (ie that Romney will become more popular once he gets the nomination) is that - in an effort to suck up to those Rightwing crazies Romney has shot himself in the foot regarding the independent moderates and Hispanics he needs to win the election in the long run. The end result is that the GOP has gone so far to the Right that NO ONE can possibly placate them and still look like a non-crazy to everyone else.

Personally, I don't think Romney IS a Rightwing crazy and - though he won't have my vote - he's not that unacceptable to me (because he's a relative moderate) - but he sure has sounded like a Rightwing crazy (and all that will come back to haunt him in the general election).

"Two new polls of Latino voters confirm what I have been writing for several months: Republican front-runner Mitt Romney is so unpopular among Hispanic voters that he would have a hard time winning the November elections.

A nationwide poll of likely Hispanic voters released last week by Fox News Latino shows that if the election were held today, 70 percent of Hispanics would vote for President Barack Obama, while 14 percent would vote for Romney. The poll, conducted by telephone, has a margin of error of 2.7 percent.

A previous poll of registered Latino voters nationwide released Jan. 24 by the Univision television network shows that Obama’s approval rate among Hispanics is of 63 percent, compared to Romney’s 28 percent. The Univision poll’s margin of error is of 4.4 percent.

Not surprisingly, both polls show that Latinos are uneasy about the anti-immigrant rhetoric used by Romney— and, to be fair, by the other leading Republican presidential hopefuls as well — during the Republican primaries.

..."

Romney’s Hispanic problem is serious - Andres Oppenheimer - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/10/2685766/romneys-hispanic-problem-is-serious.html - broken link)

Ken


I agree with much of what you say. I am not sure how the hispanic vote will turn out. They usually vote Democrat pretty much anyway...with the exception of George W. Bush. Mitt seems to be the most popular candiate among conservative hispanic voters. Look what happened in Peurto Rico. I realize they don't vote in the general and that most Peurto Ricans vote Democrat here though. Also, Mitt is popular with Cuban Americans. There are quite a few Mexican-American Mormons also, so he has some strengths in those demographics.

His stand on illegal immigration is not new. He didn't modify it for this election. He took similar stands while governor in Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
19,868 posts, read 22,722,776 times
Reputation: 7167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
This is 100% a result of the new primary system unfortunately. It's not like the guy never ran for preaident before, we know what he's about. And he doesnt sound any different now than he did in 08. If anything heI sounds better, more confident. Its these brutal, sustained attacks from his own party that caused this. Fortunately he can rebuild. He really hasnt said anything extreme and I dont know why moderates would think he did. He pretty much ran on the same things Republicans have been running for years.

Finally, he has favorability thats roughly equal to Obama's, and Obama hasnt been under attack the way Romney has yet. Game on.
Not really. He's more like 20 points behind Obama.

"New numbers from ABC News and the Washinton Post show President Obama viewed favorably by 53 percent of Americans versus 43 percent who see him unfavorably, while Romney has reached a new low in their polling, at a 34 - 50 split"

ABC/WaPo Poll: Obama Favorability Up, Romney Hits A New Low | TPM Livewire

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 04:54 PM
 
1,013 posts, read 768,130 times
Reputation: 484
oi vay romney romney romney.

maybe if he would stop flip flopping to the right and be himself he can actually win some support because they see him as his true self instead of a fake.

*shakes head*

now people realize that what he says is bad and if he moves back to the middle it just means he is also a lier.

like oops. well thats what you get for two timing people. the man is practicing polygamy on his constituents basically.

tell them straight up whether you like them or not romney and stop playing them.

it hurts you and them in the end. maybe romney should stop seeing one of them and commit to one already.

stop playing both at once tyvm.

look at Ron Paul staying true to his beliefs for so many years. no one can doubt he is the most reliable. BUT I guess people like being cheated on and abused. oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Rational World Park
4,999 posts, read 3,873,755 times
Reputation: 2372
Romney comes off as a rich guy in search of a hobby so he choose running for President. People simply don't like that. It's not much he can do about it, it's who he is for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 8,994,286 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah he's in BIG trouble regarding the Hispanics. Picking Rubio would be the smartest move he could make - and even that might not be enough to win over the Hispanics (they are pretty p*ssed).

Ken
Its not just hispanics he has problems with, it is also southerners. Granted this is not to say Obama will win Alabama, but Romney's support in the south is very weak compare to previous Republicans. Obama is out polling his 2008 numbers in North Carolina,Virginia and Georgia and there have been some polls showing even South Carolina getting uncomfortably close for a GOP candidate. At the very least if has to spend resources defending Georgia and South Carolina while going all out to fight for Virginia and North Carolina that does not bode well.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._NC_031412.pdf
Virginia (VA) Poll * March 20, 2012 * Obama Back On Top In Virginia - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut (http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/virginia/release-detail?ReleaseID=1721 - broken link)
Romney opens 21-point lead in South Carolina: Reuters/Ipsos poll | Reuters
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/im.../topstate7.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 05:53 PM
 
8,758 posts, read 8,844,209 times
Reputation: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
oi vay romney romney romney.

maybe if he would stop flip flopping to the right and be himself he can actually win some support because they see him as his true self instead of a fake.

*shakes head*

now people realize that what he says is bad and if he moves back to the middle it just means he is also a lier.

like oops. well thats what you get for two timing people. the man is practicing polygamy on his constituents basically.

tell them straight up whether you like them or not romney and stop playing them.

it hurts you and them in the end. maybe romney should stop seeing one of them and commit to one already.

stop playing both at once tyvm.



look at Ron Paul staying true to his beliefs for so many years. no one can doubt he is the most reliable. BUT I guess people like being cheated on and abused. oh well.

All of that seemed to have worke well for Obama though...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top