Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:23 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,230,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you can find what you want if you look hard enough; Media Matters isn't known for their objectivity or their accuratecy.
Well, then you're free to disprove it by citing a more "objective" and "accurate" source.

And, no, FOX, WSJ, WND, or The Blaze don't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:28 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,882,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
before obama started releasing his records to the media, he gave less than 1% to charity.

he has gotten much more generous under a watchful public eye.

biden is still a cheapskate, though-but not as bad as geithner, who didn't want to pay anything. of course, government tax cheats never go to jail and often get appointed to high public offices. (that's both parties, by the way)

a little side note, biden actually charged the secret service rent, while they protect him:
Biden collects rent from Secret Service - Washington Times

Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Both President Kennedy and FDR where born into a wealthy influenctail family, but they are generally seen as good presidents, so whats wrong with having a rich Pres. Romney?
There are several directions that Mitt Romney can go to do a better job of negating the desired voter anger over how much money Mitt has. Mitt makes approximately $21 million a year -- virtually all of it revenue from long term investments.

The President of the United States is paid $400,000.

Barack Obama made $1.3 million from book sales and other sources last year. He also makes that $400K for being President.

So here are several points Romney can make to squash the issue or at least make it a little less toxic to his candidacy.
1.) Tell the American people he won't accept the $400,000 a year in pay as President of the United States. Obviously, Romney doesn't need the money. In reality, neither does Barack Obama but I don't think Obama will offer to continue to serve without pay unless Romney does it first. If Romney does it first, then Obama may or may not. If Obama does, that's just sloppy seconds and vastly less meaningful.
2.) Mitt Romney gives more to charity each year than any other candidate makes in a year: $3 to $4 million per year. It softens the blow considerably if you sell it right: Because Romney has more money he can give more. And he does give more. And he didn't really want to release that information to the public -- ie he never intended to brag about it.
3.) The Romney family give a larger percentage of their income to charity than any other candidate. You can beat that drum all day and it'll never get old.
4.) We're still living in a collapsed economy with droves of unemployed people. The bitter feelings against those wealthy CEO's, banks and high level executives is very real. But Romney was not the cause of our current troubles. He was not part of the banking deregulation that set the stage. Those that did help create it are Washington insiders, etc. Romney did not get rich from the things that collapsed our economy. He had already made his money before all that.

These are just ideas off the top of my head. I'm puzzled that Romney doesn't say more of these sorts of things.

The problem with Romney's wealth is that he has no clear message to go with it. He's not selling it as a good thing. Because of this, Obama and other opponents can script any message they like from it. It is a little odd that Mitt even needs a sell his wealth as a positive and not a negative. All of this year's candidates are very wealthy 1%'ers. One of them just happens to have more millions than the others, and that person happens to be Romney. But that's the mood of America right now. He can't ignore this.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:36 PM

I don't think his off shore accounts are going to help him much either.

Although we haven't heard much about them in the last couple of months, I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more about them in the general.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,707,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I don't think his off shore accounts are going to help him much either.

Although we haven't heard much about them in the last couple of months, I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more about them in the general.
I know that campaigns are not about reality but perception. So yes, offshore accounts will be a problem. But if was using them as a tax shelter or doing anything illegal whatsoever, why did he report them at all? And we all know that his $200 odd million is in a blind trust. He doesn't know where his money is invested and that keeps him from having a conflict of interests.

Stupid of the trust manager to put money in companies with offshore accounts. The Dems will use it to hurt Romney, no question about it. But you, I and everyone with brains in their heads knows that it's more than a little dishonest. Lucky for Obama that the average American voter is stupid, gullible and does not educate themself when they hear such accusations.

Voter stupidity is one of the most destructive forces to America's future IMHO.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM

30,211 posts, read 23,629,906 times
Quote:
Both President Kennedy and FDR where born into a wealthy influenctail family, but they are generally seen as good presidents, so whats wrong with having a rich Pres. Romney?
There's nothing wrong with having a "rich" president, per say. That's not why I'm not voting for Romney. I don't care if he's rich. I care about HOW he got rich but even that is not the entire reason I'm not voting for him.

I do find appeal in a Presidential candidate who says they will take only a certain amount of money for their time in office, such as Paul has said.

I don't speak for others, just myself, it's not being rich I have the problem with.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,474,279 times
Quote:
More than just FDR and JFK were wealthy. What's wrong with a Pres. Romney? You wouldn't be asking the question if you'd been following the primary campaign. He's unelectable, vs. a Pres. Obama.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 PM

30,211 posts, read 23,629,906 times
Quote:
He tied down the dog who was in a cage, how is that different than people who put there dogs in the bed of their pick-ups
Do you actually think that is an appropriate form of transportation for a dog?

DO YOU!?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Do you actually think that is an appropriate form of transportation for a dog?

DO YOU!?
Hopefully that poster doesn't have any pets.

I've often wondered how Mittens, if he were elected, would handle the "first dog" thing - it's somewhat of a tradition for presidents to have a first pet (the Clintons had both a cat - Socks - and a dog - Buddy). It seems like, with all the outrage about how he treated Seamus, that having a dog in a Romney White House would be kind of....weird.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,275,311 times
When Obama finally pays his fair share of taxes we can all talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections