U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 AM

6,396 posts, read 4,393,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Here we go again folk's. I don't know why there is all the fuss about the presidential election since the people don't elect the president anyway.......the electoral college does!!

Supreme Court Might Decide Their Second Election | The Smirking Chimp

"It was a similar crew of conservative justices on the Supreme Court that decided that their long-held beliefs on states' rights were irrelevant and made George W. Bush our next president in 2000. Now, they're back!!! And they might decide yet another presidential election. (snip) Why don't you just hand the Republicans the election?"

rotflmao.. does the line, “We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it”, have any meaning to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM

22,243 posts, read 15,260,971 times
The Supremes will get to the bottom of it all, well some may be focused on their bottom lines in the process.

Health Care and the Justices' Bottom Line - OpenSecrets Blog | OpenSecrets

Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 AM

16,678 posts, read 9,054,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, they still kick back to nearly 12 years ago with the poppycock that Gore won Florida and he was cheated.

Blah, blah, blah, blah... as if they repeat it enough it will become true.

Well, it isn't true.

Online NewsHour: Media Recount: Bush Won
That can't be true, because Michael Moore never distorts!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 AM

I doubt the supreme court ruling will have much of a bearing on the election. If Obamacare gets struck down, I could see it firing up the Democratic base. I doubt Independent voters, primarily where elections are won, will really be swayed by the Supreme Court's ruling.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,681,014 times
You guys can't possibly be expecting GrandpaPipes/Tightwad to come back to this thread to defend his position, that isn't how he rolls. He's a headline regurgitation machine, not one to actually engage in topics.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 AM

41,314 posts, read 39,485,841 times
Quote:
Here we go again folk's. I don't know why there is all the fuss about the presidential election since the people don't elect the president anyway.......the electoral college does!!
In case you have forgotten, it was the OBAMA administration that decided to fast track the case to SCOTUS instead of moving up the judicial ladder of appeals.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 AM

29,287 posts, read 39,592,161 times
Being the contrarian that I am, I think Obama would be better off if the ACA goes down on a 5-4 vote. The mandate part is not popular and Romney won't have that as an issue, even if he could use it without sounding rather hypocritical. Obama (or more likely surrogates) will blame the "republican court" for trashing the popular parts of the act. You will see (very real) stories of how diabetic kids will lose care because of this decision, how grandmas and grandpas will not be able to afford their medication again, how college kids will be kicked off their parents insurance, and how thousands will lose or be denied insurance because of pre-existing conditions. Obamacare was an imperfect fix, but it did address some serious issues. The problems with our healthcare system will be back in the news and the ads. Democrats win overwhelmingly in the polls of who is best to deal with it. The Reps are out there with the Ryan plan to gut Medicare. Good luck with that with the retirees.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Being the contrarian that I am, I think Obama would be better off if the ACA goes down on a 5-4 vote. The mandate part is not popular and Romney won't have that as an issue, even if he could use it without sounding rather hypocritical. Obama (or more likely surrogates) will blame the "republican court" for trashing the popular parts of the act. You will see (very real) stories of how diabetic kids will lose care because of this decision, how grandmas and grandpas will not be able to afford their medication again, how college kids will be kicked off their parents insurance, and how thousands will lose or be denied insurance because of pre-existing conditions. Obamacare was an imperfect fix, but it did address some serious issues. The problems with our healthcare system will be back in the news and the ads. Democrats win overwhelmingly in the polls of who is best to deal with it. The Reps are out there with the Ryan plan to gut Medicare. Good luck with that with the retirees.
I pretty much agree.

Obama is a politician in every sense of the word.

Obama wanted to deal with budgets and debt ceilings until after the election.

Obama wanted to deal with Keystone after the election.

Obama wants to work with Russia after the election.

Obama wanted to deal with tax structure after the midterm elections.

Now Obama wants to deal with AHA's constitutionality before the election, because there are political points to be had either way for him.

Obama is a very calculating politician and he knows where to score points.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 AM

22,243 posts, read 15,260,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
First, the vote against Gore was 7-2 with some liberal justices involved, so you have even that wrong.

The President and Democrat congress tried to stuff this down the people's throats without even reading it and they know a lot was unconstitutional.
There was no severability clause and I don't think Justices want to go line by line regarding 2700 pages of crap.

I think if it is struck down it all goes back to Congress where it started and everyone should be happy.

If Obama thinks it is such a winner he should try to get elected over it and see how far he gets.
The ruling was 5-4, Partisan. There were 2 Liberal Justices that disagreed with the remedy, ie the recount method, not the fact that a recount should be done. I would think you would have looked into what actually happened back then. But I suppose not doing so makes it easier to attempt to pass along false info.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:46 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,637,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The people vote for the electors - we are a representative republic - not a direct democracy.
NO! The people DO NOT elect the electors to the electoral college. Never have.

HowStuffWorks "Selecting Electors"

U. S. Electoral College FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or