U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:28 PM

10,783 posts, read 11,827,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Never thought I'd be excited about a Republican Convention! I just read a pretty good article on Ron Paul and the possibilities.
Rumors of Ron Paul campaign demise greatly exaggerated | Washington Times Communities
There is no way in hell the GOP establishment would let Paul even come near the nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,661,159 times
Quote:
Never thought I'd be excited about a Republican Convention! I just read a pretty good article on Ron Paul and the possibilities.
Rumors of Ron Paul campaign demise greatly exaggerated | Washington Times Communities
Wow!

Paul must be pretty busy these days, vetting VP candidates and pondering his cabinet picks ...

Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 PM

18,978 posts, read 15,450,405 times
Quote:
I'm an Obama supporter I would love it if a brokered convention were to happen, and this whole circus of a Primary became even that much crazier.

With that being said, I'm also a realist and good at math. Even if the Paul supporters are able to wrestle away a decent amount of the delegates away from Romney in the caucus states, its not going to be enough to keep Romney away from 1144 on the first round of voting. You simply have too many delegates that are tied to the results or the 1st round of voting, and too many winner take all delegates by state and CD's left.

From a mathematical perspective I would like any Paul supporter (or anyone else or that matter) to try and explain how Romney will not get to 1144.

Again I would love to see the chaos of a brokered convention transpire, but the math simply isn't there.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,420,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
What election are you looking at?

If there's no GOP nominee on the first ballot, we WILL lose in November. If there's any kind of floor fight or multiple rounds of balloting, it doesn't matter whether the nominee is Romney, Paul, or Chris Christie. The party will be in disarray (especially if it is Paul), we will lose any chance of the Senate, and we will shoot ourselves in the foot with regards to holding a strong House majority. Obama will cruise to re-election.
The party is already in disarray. Republicans obviously learned nothing from their attempt at running McCain as a viable candidate.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,191,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The party is already in disarray. Republicans obviously learned nothing from their attempt at running McCain as a viable candidate.
McCain was a viable candidate.

However, the 2008 election would not have been a viable one for any Republican candidate after W's presidency and with the economy in a freefall with a Republican in the White House at the time (likewise, it would not have been a viable election for any Democratic candidate if a Democrat had been in the White House at the time).

And the ditz from Wasilla being his running mate made the election even harder for McCain.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-01-2012 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
McCain was a viable candidate.

However, the 2008 election would not have been a viable one for any Republican candidate after W's presidency and with the economy in a freefall. And the ditz from Wasilla being his running mate made the election even harder for McCain.
A viable Republican candidate would not have a voting record in the Senate that shows him to be little other than a Democrat in Republican clothing. A viable Republican candidate would not have allowed the "ditz from Wasilla" to be his running mate.

McCain was the penultimate politician. He had a long and well established history of liberal voting despite having been elected as a supposed conservative.

Thanks for further illustrating you care little about principle and a lot about party. Those that embrace your mindset are largely responsible for the mess our political system has become.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 PM

18,978 posts, read 15,450,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
A viable Republican candidate would not have a voting record in the Senate that shows him to be little other than a Democrat in Republican clothing. A viable Republican candidate would not have allowed the "ditz from Wasilla" to be his running mate.

McCain was the penultimate politician. He had a long and well established history of liberal voting despite having been elected as a supposed conservative.

Thanks for further illustrating you care little about principle and a lot about party. Those that embrace your mindset are largely responsible for the mess our political system has become.

McCain's voting record had long been conservative. He is in no way shape or form than a Democrat in Republican's clothing. I am a Democrat, and his voting record was no where even remotely close to the most conservative Democrat (Ben Nelson) and well to the right of the Snowe, Collins wing of the Party. He drifted further and further right during Bush's 2nd term, and ran on a platform WELL to the right of where he ran in 2000.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
McCain's voting record had long been conservative. He is in no way shape or form than a Democrat in Republican's clothing. I am a Democrat, and his voting record was no where even remotely close to the most conservative Democrat (Ben Nelson) and well to the right of the Snowe, Collins wing of the Party. He drifted further and further right during Bush's 2nd term, and ran on a platform WELL to the right of where he ran in 2000.
I'd suggest your idea of conservative and mine have little in common.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 PM

66,329 posts, read 33,652,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In other words, the media tells the average voter who to like and who to vote for and who to hate. Sounds very plausible, and it works

Even if they have to lie through their teeth, to do so.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:12 PM

66,329 posts, read 33,652,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post

McCain a Conservative? LOL! Seriously?

He has been a Progressive, in the Republican party for years and like Mitt Romney, he is not afraid to tell you that he is.

That goes for Lindsey Graham, too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or