U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM

7,208 posts, read 5,290,926 times

Advertisements

I did read your post. It's just not clear to me what it had to do with my post.

People like the message that Santorum and Paul are spreading. Neither of them has any chance of winning, but that doesn't matter if you're voting for what you perceive to be your ideal candidate.

If you're a social authoritarian, you probably don't really care that Santorum defrauded PA taxpayers. Or if you do care, it's way down the list and gets forgiven because he hates all the right people and wants to interfere in all the right personal matters.

The Paulbots are a bit harder to understand. They claim to want to uphold the constitution, yet they're supporting a candidate who tried to toss out 4 of the 7 articles just so he could keep bigoted laws on the books. Still, he tells them what they want to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 PM

85,070 posts, read 99,122,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I did read your post. It's just not clear to me what it had to do with my post.

People like the message that Santorum and Paul are spreading. Neither of them has any chance of winning, but that doesn't matter if you're voting for what you perceive to be your ideal candidate.

If you're a social authoritarian, you probably don't really care that Santorum defrauded PA taxpayers. Or if you do care, it's way down the list and gets forgiven because he hates all the right people and wants to interfere in all the right personal matters.

The Paulbots are a bit harder to understand. They claim to want to uphold the constitution, yet they're supporting a candidate who tried to toss out 4 of the 7 articles just so he could keep bigoted laws on the books. Still, he tells them what they want to hear.
What it had to do with your post is that Santorum is hardly the person for "idealists". There hasn't been much publicity about this scam. Santorum has kept it pretty well contained, but he won't be able to do so in PA, where it was in the news for a couple of years, I believe. Young people probably don't care b/c public K-12 schools are probably the last thing on their minds at this point in their lives. They're never going to have any kids, right?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 PM

1,347 posts, read 896,843 times
For those of you thinking Rand Paul is the voice of the next generation, why do you say that? In his 2010 Senate election, he lost young voters (though not by much) and it was his worst group:
Senate, House, Governor Races - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
Perhaps that data cannot be extrapolated to every state in the union? And I think it wold be unfair to say that he performs poorly with that group since, even though they were his worst, he didn't do too badly. But nothing like his father.

I just don't know that there is enough leadership in the Paul movement beyond Ron Paul himself to keep it alive. It just doesn't represent a significant enough portion of the population. He's not even actually winning young voters in most states.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,292,341 times
What one needs to take from the losers in this elction period is that the candidates are a sign of what the discussion i politcs is about;otherwsie none of the people would have gottewn this far. I can remmebr when no one really took Reagan seriou8dl;y as a cnadidiate or Bill Clinton fater his first trerm has governor.One only has to look at the state house mid term elections to see that the Tea party movemnt has had perhaps the most influence o politcs since the 60's.That is what movemnts do if the hit a nerve witht eh elctorate. I suggest people waqtch the senate finace committeee when they are televised on C-Span as they are not as far apart beig Democrats and republicans as refelcted in the presidential elections.They have pretty much agred that the presidentail commission needs supported even if Obama doesn't. Often a sign of chnage coming.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM

7,208 posts, read 5,290,926 times
Quote:
What it had to do with your post is that Santorum is hardly the person for "idealists".
He is when your vision of an ideal America is one that codifies discrimination and forces extremist Christian theology on its citizens.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,525,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
You bring up a very interesting point I hadn't considered, though it should have been obvious. Young GOP voters are more conservative because the ones that aren't left the party. Does anyone think this will actually force the GOP to the left on social issues in the long run to remain viable? (Again, don't think of whether that will happen in the next couple years; rather, over a long period of time)
The under-30 GOP vote has dwindled to mostly homeschool and bible college weirdos at this point; Santorum's war against modernity definitely makes him their guy. Romney's too old school; from a time when those sorts of things weren't discussed openly. Quiet rooms and all that.

If we're talking long-term what happens to the party remember the largest demographic segment isn't seniors but the middle aged, who also vote reliably Republican. Whites aged 30-64 made up 50% of the electorate in 2008, and McCain won them by 15%, and breaking it down did even better among whites aged 30-44. In comparison he won whites over 65 by 18%. The GOP's current demographic makeup is still large and more importantly young enough, that they likely won't be changing their positions any time soon.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM

973 posts, read 1,194,731 times
If it comes to Santorum vs. Obama... sorry... Santorums ideology does not set well with me. So much so that it would secure my vote for Obama just to try to keep Santorum out. I am of the 30 - 44 age range and a Dr. Paul Supporter.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 AM

9,326 posts, read 5,828,604 times
CIRCLE » Santorum Surpasses Paul in Cumulative Youth Vote Count after Alabama and Mississippi Primaries

Similiar study, they still have Romney leading overall

Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,643,462 times
Probably between two-thirds and three-fourths of young people are socially liberal and favor Obama. There is however a large evangelical movement in the younger generation and that could be fueling some of Santorum's support. With millennials, social issues trump everything. Most are liberal i.e. pro-gay marriage and therefore will support Obama, but those are conservative and anti-gay will support Santorum.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 PM

9,326 posts, read 5,828,604 times
Hello, I can't believe I forgot this. The democrats are voting in the open states, I'm sure that accounts for some of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections