U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:32 PM

18,975 posts, read 15,426,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
As far as Romney wanting to cut funding to Planned Parenthood, you do realize that spending has to be cut, right? I guess it's automatically about religion and not about spending cuts in your mind because you think spending should never be cut. And, FYI, that's not the only spending he wants to cut.

Also, the federal government under Obama has recently cut funding for women's health services in my state so I wouldn't be bashing Romney for wanting to cut funding to a specific organization that provides women's health services. (The state will be funding it on its own...and really funding for that sort of thing should probably be provided at the state/local level anyway IMO.)

As far as him wanting to "write discrimination into the Constitution," you shouldn't be playing that card given that Obama (likely because of his personal religious beliefs as well) is also against gay marriage and Obama and Romney both support legal recognition for gay couples other than marriage. Why don't you feel that Obama's stance on gay marriage is wrong as well?
Romney saber rattles on Iran wants to give even more tax cuts, slams Obama for spending cuts in the Military, but chooses to cut Planned Parenthood?? Please....

As far as the gay marriage issue, I'm not really sure if Obama is actually against gay marriage or not, his views are "evolving" which is something like many others in the country as the support has jumped considerably over the past few years.

Regardless, its not what someone's personal religious beliefs are that bother me. I don't give a crap what either of their personal religious beliefs are (or any other politician), I only care if they let those personal religious beliefs dictate policy. That is where the difference is quite stark, especially on the issue of same-sex marriage. Obama has called for the repeal of DOMA, Romney has blasted him for that and is in favor of it. Obama has had the Justice Dept to stop defending legal challenges to DOMA in court (oh and saving $$ in court battles in the process) Romney has blasted him for that. Obama is against writing discrimination into the federal constitution. Romney has blasted that as well, and favors writing discrimination into the Constitution. Obama has come out against the various state bans (including the vote next month in North Carolina), Romney again has blasted him on those as well.

So the issue is not what someone's religion is, its not even what their personal religious beliefs are. Its if they use those personal religious beliefs to dictate policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 AM

8,758 posts, read 8,842,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
So Orrin Hatch speaks for the entire GOP?I don't really follow Orrin Hatch but since you apparently do how many times did Sen. Hatch talk about Jeremiah Wright??Once???Ten Times???A thousand times????I really have no idea.

Sean Hannity likely brought it up thousands of times,but he is a radio talk show host,not 'the GOP'.His counterpart on the left Laurence O'Donnell went on a tirade about Romneys mormonism in 2008 and did it again last night...I guess he didn't get the memo,nor I guess did msnbc since they seem ok with it..of course Laurence O'Donnell isn't the ' official voice of the Democratic Party' either so I don't really care what he says.

Yes, I think many missed the email about religion being off limits. Of course, some in Mitt Romney's own party have been the worst with the religious bigotry so it's not just coming from the left.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 AM

8,006 posts, read 4,174,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Yes, I think many missed the email about religion being off limits. Of course, some in Mitt Romney's own party have been the worst with the religious bigotry so it's not just coming from the left.
The hypocrisy is mind-boggling though. The Democrats maintain a solid majority among Jews and Muslims by convincing them that the GOP wants to kill them and drink their blood or whatever. So there you have them defending two religions many adherents of which are the very antithesis of Democratic Party ideology. Orthodox Jews are absolutely against gay marriage, homosexuality in general, abortion, etc. Islam is universally against these things as well. If you are caught getting an abortion or having a gay sexual relations in places like Saudi Arabia, they don't just disapprove of such behavior. They kill you for it. And Muslims here in the USA are generally just fine with such executions. So while the Dems are sheltering Jews and Muslims, telling the world that they hating on them is wrong, they actively demonize Mormonism. And they criticize Mormons for being less militantly against things like abortion and gay marriage than your average Muslim -- one of the religions that Democrats have taken under their protective wing. Confusing, no?

Same issue, different track. Democrats are the ones preaching tolerance and understanding, saying that we shouldn't hate another group of people because of the color of their skin ... yet hating a group for their religious beliefs is fair game?

Democrats need to sort out who they really are. Either they are the party that hates religion or they are the party of tolerance. So pick one and stick with it.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 AM

58,036 posts, read 40,789,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Because he's a Republican, and Democrats are desperate to do anything they can to badmouth Republicans.
Sounds more like Republicans are desperate to label the truth as 'badmouthing'.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 AM

2,737 posts, read 4,315,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Do you not understand what the word denomination means. I said "within a predominately (95%+) white denomination". That is the truth. Trinity has voluntarily chosen to remain a member of a predominantly white denomination. The predominately black congregation of Trinity could vote to leave the denomination whenever they wanted. Not only have they chosen to stay, but they are extremely generous with their time and financial resources towards the other member congregations and the denomination in general. The accusation that Trinity is about hating white people is the lie.
I know exactly what a denomination is, and I also know exactly what you tried to do.

You tried to make it look like Rev Jeremiah Wright is some sort of racially-neutral pastor that is leading a predominantly white church. But nothing could be farther from the truth. He is a marginally radically black pastor, leading a virtually 100% black church. Period.

You might as well stop laying that game now.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Sounds more like Republicans are desperate to label the truth as 'badmouthing'.
No, not really. The truth is not on your side.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 AM

58,036 posts, read 40,789,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
No, not really. The truth is not on your side.
The truth isn't on anyone's side, it just is.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The truth isn't on anyone's side, it just is.
It's certainly not with the party whose slogan is, "It depends on what your definition of is is..."

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,857,174 times
Wink Suddenly religion is off limits!

No it isn't

Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 AM

18,975 posts, read 15,426,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The hypocrisy is mind-boggling though. The Democrats maintain a solid majority among Jews and Muslims by convincing them that the GOP wants to kill them and drink their blood or whatever. So there you have them defending two religions many adherents of which are the very antithesis of Democratic Party ideology. Orthodox Jews are absolutely against gay marriage, homosexuality in general, abortion, etc. Islam is universally against these things as well. If you are caught getting an abortion or having a gay sexual relations in places like Saudi Arabia, they don't just disapprove of such behavior. They kill you for it. And Muslims here in the USA are generally just fine with such executions. So while the Dems are sheltering Jews and Muslims, telling the world that they hating on them is wrong, they actively demonize Mormonism. And they criticize Mormons for being less militantly against things like abortion and gay marriage than your average Muslim -- one of the religions that Democrats have taken under their protective wing. Confusing, no?

Same issue, different track. Democrats are the ones preaching tolerance and understanding, saying that we shouldn't hate another group of people because of the color of their skin ... yet hating a group for their religious beliefs is fair game?

Democrats need to sort out who they really are. Either they are the party that hates religion or they are the party of tolerance. So pick one and stick with it.
Orthodox, well the ultra-Orthodox at least were one of McCain's strongest bloc's, he just did terrible with the Secular Jews, and most of the non ultra Orthodox groups (same with other Republicans).

Again though the issue is NOT what religion Romney is (or any other Republican, or hell anyone else), the issue is when those personal religious beliefs are used to dictate policy. That is the roblem, and its something Romney favors doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or