Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times

Advertisements

How many times did we hear that Obama attended the church of Rev. Jeremiah Wright for 20 years during the 2008 election?

Now that the GOP has a candidate who professes a less than popular religion, suddenly the GOP announces that religion is off limits.

Quote:
On Tuesday, Hatch, a six-term Utah Republican and a Mormon, told a group of GOP delegates: “You watch, they’re going to throw the Mormon church at him like you can’t believe.”
Read more: Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Mormonism off limits - Darius Dixon - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
So Orrin Hatch speaks for the entire GOP?I don't really follow Orrin Hatch but since you apparently do how many times did Sen. Hatch talk about Jeremiah Wright??Once???Ten Times???A thousand times????I really have no idea.

Sean Hannity likely brought it up thousands of times,but he is a radio talk show host,not 'the GOP'.His counterpart on the left Laurence O'Donnell went on a tirade about Romneys mormonism in 2008 and did it again last night...I guess he didn't get the memo,nor I guess did msnbc since they seem ok with it..of course Laurence O'Donnell isn't the ' official voice of the Democratic Party' either so I don't really care what he says.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
So Orrin Hatch speaks for the entire GOP?I don't really follow Orrin Hatch but since you apparently do how many times did Sen. Hatch talk about Jeremiah Wright??Once???Ten Times???A thousand times????I really have no idea.

Sean Hannity likely brought it up thousands of times,but he is a radio talk show host,not 'the GOP'.His counterpart on the left Laurence O'Donnell went on a tirade about Romneys mormonism in 2008 and did it again last night...I guess he didn't get the memo,nor I guess did msnbc since they seem ok with it..of course Laurence O'Donnell isn't the ' official voice of the Democratic Party' either so I don't really care what he says.

Senator Hatch To Obama "You're Not Jesus" - YouTube

Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How many times did we hear that Obama attended the church of Rev. Jeremiah Wright for 20 years during the 2008 election?

Now that the GOP has a candidate who professes a less than popular religion, suddenly the GOP announces that religion is off limits.

Read more: Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Mormonism off limits - Darius Dixon - POLITICO.com
People brought up Rev. Wright not because of the religion being taught in his church, people cared about the racist hate that he and his congregation spewed from the alter every service.

If you want to attack Mormonism that's fine but it's not the same as attacking the hate of Obama's specific church.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
People brought up Rev. Wright not because of the religion being taught in his church, people cared about the racist hate that he and his congregation spewed from the alter every service.

If you want to attack Mormonism that's fine but it's not the same as attacking the hate of Obama's specific church.
Can we discuss the hate of Gays by many mainstream religions?

How about the racist hate of blacks taught by the Mormon church?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6QbPhz8d9I

Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:

"Black people" as tithing in LDS church - RACISM! - YouTube
Oh, come on jojajn! A youtube video? The same crap that the RW posters put up to prove a point?

The Mormon church changed their policy on blacks and the priesthood in 1978. Sort of like Robert Byrd renouncing the Klan.

Black people and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times
Quote:

"Black people" as tithing in LDS church - RACISM! - YouTube
If you want to discuss teachings from the 1800s go for it, I'd like to let Romney do whatever he wants in his own personal time.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, come on jojajn! A youtube video? The same crap that the RW posters put up to prove a point?

The Mormon church changed their policy on blacks and the priesthood in 1978. Sort of like Robert Byrd renouncing the Klan.

Black people and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Did the Mormon god suddenly have a change of mind?

This is a quote from:
Quote:
the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1847 until his death in 1877, he founded Salt Lake City, and he served as the first governor of the Utah Territory, United States. Young also led the foundings of the precursors to the University of Utah and Brigham Young University.
Quote:
In 1863, Young reported that he said, "Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot.
Brigham Young - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Did the Mormon god suddenly have a change of mind?

This is a quote from:

Brigham Young - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not a Mormon. I just don't like to see them unfairly depicted. Here is the text of the declaration of 1978.

Official Declaration 2*

Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not a Mormon. I just don't like to see them unfairly depicted. Here is the text of the declaration of 1978.

Official Declaration 2*

Look, this religion has a long history of racism.

Mormons and Black Skin

Was Romney part of the Mormon church before 1978?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections