U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,417,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Why not? He can give his opinion in whatever venue he likes, as can you. Why should he not be allowed to? Come on, I at least know you are a strong supporter of personal liberty.
But even if you still disagree, it's important to note he didn't even bring it up. He was asked. Did you read the link? A reporter asked him if women should be allowed. What was he supposed to do, refuse to give an answer? (You're right that would have gone over much better.) If you think that is an inappropriate question in a public venue, fine. But take it up with the media for asking it. But to call Romney a panderer for giving a short, two word answer ("of course") to a question someone asked him? I don't even know how some of the posters on this thread can actually type that with a straight face.

And finally, I don't know how many different ways I can say it:

He did not call for the government to do anything.

He did not ask the government to get involved

The government was not ever mentioned

Their was nothing said, nor was there anything even remotely implied, by former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney that suggested that the United States Federal Government should have any involvement in the private membership policies of the Augusta National Golf Club
He is voicing his opinion as part of an effort to gain government office. Do you honestly believe he would be speaking out on this were he not campaigning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,828,064 times
The "war on women" propaganda is getting out of hand. And there are plenty of women-only groups and clubs that allow no men. So why can't men have men-only clubs with no women. Double standards!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,843,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Hey conservatives? Explain to me how your presumptive nominee believes it is the governments job to tell a private club, paid for by membership dues, that they have to admit people as members that they don't want to admit?

He never told them any such thing. He said, when asked, that if HE were the head of it, he would admit women...not that they should. Liberals never get anything quite right.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 PM

758 posts, read 494,717 times
I believe women should be allowed to join the PGA club, too. However, knowing Romney, I'm sure the real reason he's saying that is to get all the women voters to go to his side and deceive them. That's the card he's trying to play to win the GOP ticket. He's a crafty one, but that won't make any difference. Obama will bury whoever the Republican nominee is.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 PM

1,347 posts, read 920,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
He is voicing his opinion as part of an effort to gain government office. Do you honestly believe he would be speaking out on this were he not campaigning?
He wasn't speaking out. He had no intention of bringing the subject up, somebody else (a reporter) asked him. So no, I don't think he'd be speaking out on this if he weren't running for office, because he's shown no indication that he intended to speak out about this at all and he is running for office! I don't even think you read my post, let alone the link. The accusations made in this thread are literally unbelievable. Mitt Romney cant eat a meal without being accused of pandering o people who like to eat.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 3,233,083 times
Why should women be allowed?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM

1,946 posts, read 1,537,883 times
OK, so Romney's antidote for poor women who cannot pay their rents and who cannot find a job is for them to join a private golf club? Got it. Now THAT should solve all the women's troubles.

Has he thought of suggesting that the women who are swimming in debt purchase their own yachts?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM

136 posts, read 67,063 times
It's none of any politicians business what a PRIVATE club does nor should they even concern themselves with it. Try coming up with an idea to help our country before worrying if women get into a private club or not.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 AM

8,758 posts, read 8,843,291 times
One more time for those of you who cannot read well: Mitt Romney did not come out and make a statment about this golf club and women being members as any campaign stance or objective. He was asked a gotcha type question by a reporter whether he thought women should be admitted. He said if he were in charge of it, and he never imagined he would be, he would admit women. Plain and simple. He is not proposing government get involved with a private club or their membership. If he had said no he didn't think women should be admitted, the same people posting here about him saying he would allow it, would be accusing him of being sexist and whining about 'the war on women'.

Your motives are so transparent it's getting silly.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,870,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
.......... He was asked a gotcha type question by a reporter..............
So, to a Republican, a "gotcha question" is any question that hasn't been vetted by his talking point team and is answered as though he has a real opinion, regardless of political correctness??????? Kind of novel for Mitt to do that isn't it.......as well as dangerous? Well, I guess it isn't dangerous.........all they have to do is turn him upside down and shake him and he will be a whole new candidate, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Your motives are so transparent it's getting silly.
Your excuses are so transparent it's getting silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or