Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Remember they do not want free birth control, they just want their insurance to cover it. As a woman, you should understand the difference.

Without insurance it is about $6.00 to $9.00 per month. What person responsible for themselves and their lives cannot pay that? My insurance doesn't cover everything I take as far as meds go? What makes people think this is a given?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I am not getting the connection to what I am talking about there.
So you have no problem with a teenaged woman getting raped by a family member having to watch a sonogram of the fetus prior to ending the pregnancy of her son/brother? And the $8 or whatever it is to pay for the pills themselves covers the doctor visits to make sure it isn't complicating things for the young woman?

How about we hand out aspirin to all the girls in Junior high school and tell them to hold it between the knees when they go to the prom..........

Old 04-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Hey conservatives? Explain to me how your presumptive nominee believes it is the governments job to tell a private club, paid for by membership dues, that they have to admit people as members that they don't want to admit?

Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Hey conservatives? Explain to me how your presumptive nominee believes it is the governments job to tell a private club, paid for by membership dues, that they have to admit people as members that they don't want to admit?
He didn't say the government should make them. He said the club should let women in. See, liberals automatically assume that when there's a problem, the government must be called on for a solution. They assume that if someone is calling for a fix to that problem, they must be calling on the government to deliver that fix. The left needs to remove itself from that flawed paradigm of thinking so they can clearly see Romney never advocated, nor even remotely implied, that any government action should be taken. Instead, he used his role as a private citizen to call upon another private organization do something. And he has every right to do that. If that organization is influenced by his private speech, then great. If they're not, then so be it, that is their right. There's no government anywhere in that equation.

I can't believe people say Romney is pandering. The guy can't say anything without being accused of pandering by the left. Well, you know what, I think Obama is pandering to women by forcing all employers to provide insurance that covers birth control. That's right, he doesn't actually believe that, he's just pandering. How do I know? because I said so.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney: Women should be allowed to join Augusta – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Not something that you'd expect to hear from the leader of a party that is conducting a "war on women."
I heard that the other day. Good for him.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
.........He said the club should let women in.............
He isn't a member. Why, then, should he have an opinion at all? I know I would be ticked off if some 1%'er came over to my private club and said I should let Kiowas in when everyone knows it's Cherokee only.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You do realize all this culture crap was started by Republicans about 1/1000 of a second after hiring started taking off and unemployment started declining.
what are you talking about? Can you give an example on how it was started by Republicans and why you say as soon as the unemployment rate started down? You do realize much of the drop in the unemployment rate has to do with those who have used up their benefits. tell all those being layed off by Yahoo or Penny's how great things are.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
He isn't a member. Why, then, should he have an opinion at all? I know I would be ticked off if some 1%'er came over to my private club and said I should let Kiowas in when everyone knows it's Cherokee only.
Because this is a free country. If the club doesn't care what he thinks, that's fine. Maybe they do care what Mitt Romney thinks, maybe they don't. You're right, he's not a member, why should they care? Well, that's up to them to decide. And yet, in this wonderful free nation of ours, Mitt Romney is still allowed to have an opinion. Just as you have an opinion on whether the club should care what Mitt Romney thinks, even though (to my knowledge) you are also not a member. Gotta love America.
I still don't see where you're getting anything about government intervention...

Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Because this is a free country. If the club doesn't care what he thinks, that's fine. You're right, he's not a member, why should they care. And yet, in this wonderful free nation of ours, Mitt Romney is still allowed to have an opinion. Gotta love America.
I still don't see where you're getting anything about government intervention...
Why should his opinion of the actions of a private club receive any more public attention than that of a panhandler on a freeway onramp begging for your spare change?

This is little other than pandering for votes on the part of Romney. He's entitled to his opinion but that opinion has no place in the public venue nor is it in any way the business of government.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Why should his opinion of the actions of a private club receive any more public attention than that of a panhandler on a freeway onramp begging for your spare change?

This is little other than pandering for votes on the part of Romney. He's entitled to his opinion but that opinion has no place in the public venue nor is it in any way the business of government.
Why not? He can give his opinion in whatever venue he likes, as can you. Why should he not be allowed to? Come on, I at least know you are a strong supporter of personal liberty.
But even if you still disagree, it's important to note he didn't even bring it up. He was asked. Did you read the link? A reporter asked him if women should be allowed. What was he supposed to do, refuse to give an answer? (You're right that would have gone over much better.) If you think that is an inappropriate question in a public venue, fine. But take it up with the media for asking it. But to call Romney a panderer for giving a short, two word answer ("of course") to a question someone asked him? I don't even know how some of the posters on this thread can actually type that with a straight face.

And finally, I don't know how many different ways I can say it:

He did not call for the government to do anything.

He did not ask the government to get involved

The government was not ever mentioned

Their was nothing said, nor was there anything even remotely implied, by former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney that suggested that the United States Federal Government should have any involvement in the private membership policies of the Augusta National Golf Club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections