Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I don't think Obama has a snowball's chance in you know where of getting re-elected.
Get ready for the snowstorm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
And no, crowds don't = votes. I am in college. TONS of people went to a Ron Paul rally at our campus, including myself and many others who weren't going to vote for him. But most of the people there seemed to like Paul a lot. I know almost no one who actually voted though, even out of people that were there.
Thank you. It is hilarious how often some post glowing reports of crowd size or applause volume and assume that translates into votes, recent history has clearly demonstrated that having a few thousand people who up to a political rally does not equate to a dominant voting block.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:49 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
Quote:
I don't think Obama has a snowball's chance in you know where of getting re-elected.
It all depends on the economy/gas prices. Obama wants to postpone a strike on Iran until after the elections for a reason...

Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
LOL.

That is the funniest thing I read all day. Wishful thinking, I guess ... but not grounded in reality.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Gingrich and Santorum are staying in this with hopes of being offered a position or some sort of deal to get out. Gingrich has 4.5 million in campaign debt and according to press reports this past week filed bankruptcy on his business. He needs money. He had a meeting with Mitt Romney last week, but I don't think Mitt offered him what he had hoped for. He and Santorum sort of stepped in it as far as being involved in Romney's administration. I don't think it's going to happen.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Thank you. It is hilarious how often some post glowing reports of crowd size or applause volume and assume that translates into votes, recent history has clearly demonstrated that having a few thousand people who up to a political rally does not equate to a dominant voting block.
Especially when that crowd is filled with the demographic least likely to vote!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
I sincerely hope Rick stays in for PA, seeing Romney destroy him in his home state would be nearly as fun as when Bob Casey beat Rick in a 20 point rout which was the largest loss an incumbent senator has ever had.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
I heard that Gingrich is $4 Million in the hole right now in Campaign debts and that Santorum is running out of $$ too and thinking of calling it quits (perhaps before he loses his own state of PA).

Time for Newt Gingrich to Drop Out @PolicyMic | Jennifer Moore

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/us...e-leaders.html

That should make things interesting. I wonder if the delegates who have yet to be counted for both of those would then choose among the remaining candidates?
Last I read, Santorum is ahead in Pennsylvania but I'm thinking he's just sticking it out until that one.

"A new poll from Rasmussen Reports shows home state former Senator Rick Santorum leading former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in the Pennsylvania Republican primary, 42 to 38."

Rasmussen: Santorum By Four In Pennsylvania GOP Primary | TPM Livewire

Romney could have made it happen faster with Gingrich and Santorum. He's the one that needs to be the big man and reach out and mend fences with them.

"This past weekend, Gingrich's Wisconsin state campaign director, Robert Lorge, suggested that Gingrich and Santorum may work together to gain control of the Republican convention. Lorge indicated in a conference call this past week that there is a 'possibility of consolidating Santorum and Gingrich delegates at the Republican National Convention in order to overcome Romney’s delegate math'...While Romney holds a lead over the combined delegate count of Santorum and Gingrich, political pundits note that the former Mass. governor will still have to win almost every primary going forward to secure the nomination. If he loses to Santorum in states like Pennsylvania and Texas, the GOP convention set for this August in Tampa may end up being contested."

Gingrich: I Can Support Santorum, Talk of Shared Ticket to Stop Romney

Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Santorum and Newt will drop out of the race fairly soon, they know it is a done deal. Paul will hang around until after the convention, he has ZERO chance but his inabilty to see reality will make him continue until someone leads him to the door at the convention. Romeny will be the GOP candidate, now the question is will the Santorum, Newt and Paul supporters back him. Newt's followers will, they are Party people, most of Santorums followers will but they will be holding their nose when they do it, very few of Paul's supporters will back Romney, and if you do not know why you have not been paying attention. So what does that lead to, an Obama easy win in November.
Now on to the real races, the House and Senate.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Romney ought to offer gingrich 5 mill to endorse romney..........
or at least a sub sandwich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections