U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 AM

22,243 posts, read 15,278,409 times

Advertisements

I think Romney is still etch-a-sketching ... will have to get back with people on some things yet .

Romney Campaign Silence of Lilly Ledbetter Act - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 AM

10,005 posts, read 9,001,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Romney the Centrist Peeks Out - NYTimes.com

Oh noooos! Did Ann unzip him again???

Seriously, good article showing how Romney has already began a subtle shift back toward the middle, as he seems to have locked up the nomination.

Analyst Tom Edsall says Romney has slipped "ingeniously ambiguous language" into his stump speech, toning down his primary positions as he tries to win back alienated voting blocks:

1) Women and the poor: Where he once said he's "not worried about the very poor", and has badly alienated women, Romney now adds language about " the 30 million women living in poverty" in the US.

2) Hispanics: Talking about immigration reform, Romney now in includes new language about "keeping people here" in his standard immigration remarks

3) SS and Medicare recipients: Romney has stopped referring to the Obama "entitlement society", and now uses "government-centered" instead.

This process, of tacking back toward the center, requires political skills. Does Romney have them? Can he alter his pitch to win back moderates, Hispanics, women, and independents, without losing the base? Or will he have to flip-flop?

Looks like we're about to find out!
Too bad for Mitt there is this thing as video tape.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,537,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Maybe he should consult with Obama on this tactic, since he is the master of flip flopping, pandering and telling people what they want to hear to get elected and then doing just the opposite. it worked for him and his followers and evidently many of them learned nothing and will blindly vote for this charlatan again. What is the saying, " fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me".
Your statement is totally untrue. Obama has been quite consistent in his positions. His failures are due to the lack of the killing instinct needed to crush the obstructionist GOP who are te ones who are almost 100% responsible for Obama's nability to enact is programme.

Romney on the other hand has NO position on anything. I got a good laugh at a column Rachel Maddow wrote about Romney "The liar" Using facts, you know those pesky little things that are part of the public record, She showed that Romney isn't just a regular run if the mill liar but a pathalogical liar who lies as a matter of course. He lies when there is no reasonable or apparent reason to do so. Here we have a gut who it's so obvious, believes in nothing at all but his quest for power. He has bee so consistent in his inconsistency that when we get into the real election season I predict he will appear so phoney ans so lacking in anything at all that he will be crushed like a bug on my windshield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or