Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Republican-right-moderate-teaparty/2011/07/27/id/405055

Seems to me that the GOP keeps drifting further and further to the right. I think it will backfire on them, as their attitude is "no compromise" and "never surrender" seems a bit silly when it is out of step with most Americans. No one except a true believer would vote for a Palin, Perry, or Bachman, or Santorum to have national power. And no one is going to follow the lead of the Tea Party to protect tax cuts for the wealthiest while cutting the safety nets and general government services. Their idea seem more like a long antigovernment blog rant than a coherent governing policy for a multicultural country that has freedom of speech and many political views. Why has this happened? Has the GOP become the party of the angry old men who listen to Rush Limbaugh all day? I just don't see the logic of hating just about everyone except themselves at home and abroad.

Personally, I think the conservative voice is necessary to call out the left when they go too far, but the Tea Party wing has almost nothing sensible to replace it with. Why are moderates hated so much in the GOP these days? Seems like the two parties accomplished a lot more when rational, cool-headed people co-governed.
Sure we are drifting further to the right, that is why Romney will get the nomination and Santorum is gone, just like Bachmann and Cain plus R. Perry. I think you need to understand the party a little better . Bo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM

29,167 posts, read 22,137,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
It only seems to be "drifting further to the right" because the country's once-great Democrat Party has turned into a propaganda ministry for a Marxist.

Liberals don't seem to care that their party, the Democrat party, has excommunicated anyone who is a moderate on any social or fiscal issue from their ranks.
There is no such thing as the 'Democrat' party. It's the Democratic Party. That's the only one that is registered.

Sp go ahead and slam the Democrat Party all you want- since it doesn't exist, you can tag it any old way you want. Feel free to play the fool. We can always use another laugh.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,958,725 times
The drifting to the right comes to play when candidates and people get desperate and somehow forget the REASONABLE positions and start touting mess about gays and abortion.

Those two issues are SO far down the line. Sure, lots have strong issues on abortion but when the bubble in choice is:

A. filling up your tank/having a job or

B. abortion.say no to gay marriage, most SANE people would pick A and B would be an non-entity.
That and when those two issues come into play with manipulation through Christianity. That turns people away real fast.

The sane people which is the majority of the party and people in this country. The miniscule crazies who LOVE and get off on that crap and yell and rant the loudest.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,695,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sure we are drifting further to the right, that is why Romney will get the nomination and Santorum is gone, just like Bachmann and Cain plus R. Perry. I think you need to understand the party a little better . Bo
If Romney is elected. I may have to post that I was wrong and you were right. We'll see.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM

22,230 posts, read 17,772,006 times
I swear I don't remember the GOP being so bad. I was one, but don't think there was so much lying going on. Now we have Christie give a visual meaning to the term, "Big fat lie machine".

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/ny...2010.html?_r=1

Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 PM

487 posts, read 380,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Republican-right-moderate-teaparty/2011/07/27/id/405055
Seems to me that the GOP keeps drifting further and further to the right. I think it will backfire on them, as their attitude is "no compromise" and "never surrender" seems a bit silly when it is out of step with most Americans. No one except a true believer would vote for a Palin, Perry, or Bachman, or Santorum to have national power. And no one is going to follow the lead of the Tea Party to protect tax cuts for the wealthiest while cutting the safety nets and general government services. Their idea seem more like a long antigovernment blog rant than a coherent governing policy for a multicultural country that has freedom of speech and many political views. Why has this happened? Has the GOP become the party of the angry old men who listen to Rush Limbaugh all day? I just don't see the logic of hating just about everyone except themselves at home and abroad.
Personally, I think the conservative voice is necessary to call out the left when they go too far, but the Tea Party wing has almost nothing sensible to replace it with. Why are moderates hated so much in the GOP these days? Seems like the two parties accomplished a lot more when rational, cool-headed people co-governed.
Uh... and you don't think the democratic party has moved to the left? Occupy Wall St? Redistribution of Wealth? Obamacare?

The Tea Party's main concern is solving the national debt and deficit crisis. I don't really see that as being radical, but maybe that's because I'm a financially responsible person...

If I recall correctly, even JFK lowered taxes and reduced regulations in order to stimulate the economy, but then again, JFK was a conservative radical...

Really, what is happening to this country?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,465,204 times
The GOP is not drifting to the right, but out to sea. Republicans are hardly conservative. Look who is going to win the Republican ticket; Romney who was leading Santorum. These candidates are not limited state, free market, individual loving conservatives.

Republicans are not conservative, but regressive.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 PM

487 posts, read 380,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
The GOP is not drifting to the right, but out to sea. Republicans are hardly conservative. Look who is going to win the Republican ticket; Romney who was leading Santorum. These candidates are not limited state, free market, individual loving conservatives.

Republicans are not conservative, but regressive.
What are you even talking about? Do you have any proof do back up your claims?

How is balancing the budget, vetoing Obamacare, lowering taxes, reducing entitlements and reining in the federal government considered to be "hardly conservative?"

Old 04-11-2012, 07:07 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,465,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
What are you even talking about? Do you have any proof do back up your claims?

How is balancing the budget, vetoing Obamacare, lowering taxes, reducing entitlements and reining in the federal government considered to be "hardly conservative?"
You do know that Obamacare is based off of Romneycare. Plus, Republicans are always about less taxes, but then increase spending. Republicans only get half of the equation and Santorum voted much in line with Bush and Romney increased many fees in MA as governor.

You confuse rhetoric with practice and Republicans are hardly conservative; that includes Romney and Santorum and a cursory glance at this record will show.

While Republicans line up in groves to support these two candidates, they refuse to rally behind the most Conservative to come around since Goldwater; Ron Paul. It seems like big-government, war-mongering, anti-civil liberties, corporatist loving Republicans are allergic to anything Conservative.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Liberals don't seem to care that their party, the Democrat party, has excommunicated anyone who is a moderate on any social or fiscal issue from their ranks.
Why do you insist on lying?

There are quite a few social moderates/conservatives in the Democratic ranks. You might want to let Harry Reid - a pro-life Mormon who wants Roe v. Wade overturned - know that he has been excommunicated and isn't actually senate majority leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections