U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:52 PM

3,513 posts, read 3,248,438 times

Advertisements

Which states should they focus on in your opinion? What states could either of them potentially flip?

General strategy if you were advising Obama or Romney on how to get to 270.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 PM

136 posts, read 67,432 times
Romney needs to win the south which he can't do so there goes any chance of him winning the election. I can sit back smoke a cigar and call all the romneytards I know and gloat when he loses in November.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:20 PM

22,241 posts, read 15,328,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
Which states should they focus on in your opinion? What states could either of them potentially flip?

General strategy if you were advising Obama or Romney on how to get to 270.
The simplest way would be coming out of Bethesda Md, catch I495 go north and it will run into I270.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,641,844 times
Romney can't win without OH, FL, VA and NC. If Obama keeps any of those states it'll be a short evening.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,290,543 times
Obama is likely going to win so I don't need to point out his obvious strategy but here is how I would advise Romney:

-Keep an eye on Republican leaning swing states: Arizona, Missouri, Georgia, Montana. These states are a tough win for Obama but keep an eye on these states and do not take them for granted. Georgia is the most likely to flip to Obama because of its large minority population and growth but still likely Romney.

-Make inroads in winnable 2008 Obama states: Colorado, Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, North Carolina, Virginia. North Carolina may tip to Romney, Obama barely won it last time and it leans Republican but Obama will be fighting hard in each of these states. Romney may do well in NH too because it neighbors his home state and he does seem to have great popularity there. Virginia is a tougher sell because it's trending Democratic quickly. Romney may outperform McCain in Nevada due to Mormon enthusiasm but he still probably won't win. Colorado & Iowa are much harder nuts to crack.

-OHIO AND FLORIDA: THE most important swing states. If Romney wins Florida AND Ohio, he will win the election. It would be next to impossible to win if Romney loses Ohio and impossible if he loses Florida.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM

3,479 posts, read 6,352,849 times
^I find it very hard to believe that Georgia will be in any way, shape, or form be a 'swing' state. Even in the momentous 2008 election, Obama still lost by over 4 points. This year, there will be lower turnout from African Americans and college students. This is solid red in my book.

I agree with the importance of NC (which I believe will go R this cycle), VA (more of a swing state, but I am not convinced it is trending Democratic quickly), NH (this is always a toss up in recent elections, and they are quite old-school Republican...), and NV (this one will be a toss up, but it is a good shot for an Obama hold).

Florida and Ohio are almost must wins. I say 'almost' because PA *could* be in play this cycle, especially if the economy sours more. I think if PA goes for Romney for some reason, Ohio will go as well. This makes Florida not a 'must win' to capture the presidency. Probable? Eh, maybe. You never know - lots of the old rules have been thrown out the last couple of election cycles.

By the way, there is a lot of talk in New England states of perhaps a resurgence of the Republican party for Congress. This is especially possible in RI, with a vastly unpopular D in RI-1 (David Cicciline) and in CT with an open seat in the Senate perhaps challenged by formerly popular Congressman Shays. And for all of the apparent liberalness of MA, Scott Brown is still running close to his likely opponent, Elizabeth Warren, to retain his Senate seat this election. That campaign could get ugly. Now, do I expect RI or CT to go R this cycle? No, but the push for new Congressmen and perhaps removal of one-party rule in several states could make the presidential race more interesting there.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:51 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,155,703 times
You all left out Indiana.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,094,927 times
It really boils down to PA, VA, OH, FL, and NC, Romney needs four of those five.

A few smaller states like NH and IA are also in play, if Romney can't take PA in the above strategy but gets the others then he may need one of those two.

Indiana right now is the only state that I can say confidently will go to Romney right now that Obama had won in 2008. I don't think Romney is at risk to lose any McCain states at the moment but he has his work cut out for him in the swing states.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,627,714 times
Why, here's a handy, dandy tool to let you play with the states.

Let's Play: Create your 2012 Map

Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,243,444 times
For Romney to get to 270 he would need a personality transplant and a time machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or