Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 PM

513 posts, read 580,532 times

Advertisements

Expect to be bashed relentlessly by our resident leftists here. Much like women, blacks, Hispanics, and Jews gays are simply another demographic to the left whose soul purpose in life is to be perpetual victims of society and therefore loyal Democrat voters. Kudos for getting off the Democrat plantation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
But Romney is very much opposed to legalization of medical marijuana. Some gays with AIDS have found using marijuana helps make their condition easier to live with. But as you can see below Romney sadly lacks possession for very sick people who need medical marijuana. So no, I wouldn't vote for Romney in a million years. Since he couldn't beat McCain in 2008, who turned out weak against Obama, I don't see how he can win, anyway.

[youtube]

Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,191,811 times
Romney donated $10k to NOM to support Prop 8 back in 2008.

Despite speculation about 2012, Romney focuses on GOP in '08 | Deseret News

Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
I don't want Romney, but I don't want Obama even more. Romney for President.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
If you are someone that changes their mind frequently, I can understand why Romney is your man for President.

He will be such a Puppet President, nobody will know where he stands or what his agenda really is but I'm sure in the midst of his term you will find some well placed quote that you agree with him on, which will surely be enough.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-13-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 AM

756 posts, read 713,861 times
Hope ya had a good, long sleep last night, nep321

You clearly needed it...

Old 04-13-2012, 09:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
As a gay person, it has been very difficult for me to get myself to support any of the Republican candidates, but after careful thought, I realized that Romney is actually a reasonably gay friendly candidate. And I think the media makes the Republican party appear more anti-gay than it really is. I personally know MANY Republicans who have no problem with gay people and even support gay rights, and sometimes marriage even.

Time and again, Romney has repeatedly made it clear that he opposes any form of gay discrimination, and he has even appointed gay members to his cabinet while governor of Massachusetts. It is somewhat disappointing that he supports a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman, but I can live with it. After all, Obama has never said that he is FOR gay marriage, either. I mean, at least Romney, compared to the other candidates, doesn't seem homophobic at all.

The alternative to Romney (Obama), is simply a disaster. I mean, I really don't want America to become an entitlement society in which the people are becoming increasingly dependent on GOVERNMENT. The fact that Obama passed ObamaCare is equally, if not more, disturbing than the idea of Romney amending the Constitution to define marriage between a man and a woman -- which, by the way is VERY hard to accomplish. It requires a 67% majority vote in the House, AND 75% of the states must vote for it. I highly doubt it would happen, especially given that the majority of Americans (53%) now support gay marriage.

So now that push is coming to shove, I simply can't get myself to vote for Obama. He sucks. Period.

I can live with President Romney.
wow, you could knock me over with a feather, i would never have thought you would be able to support him or vote for him. You are making a very wise choice I think.

It is no secret I am not a Romney supporter (or I wasn't) but at least we have a fighting chance to save our country with him as Pres. He can't do any worse than Obama and I truely think he will be much better.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But Romney is very much opposed to legalization of medical marijuana. Some gays with AIDS have found using marijuana helps make their condition easier to live with. But as you can see below Romney sadly lacks possession for very sick people who need medical marijuana. So no, I wouldn't vote for Romney in a million years. Since he couldn't beat McCain in 2008, who turned out weak against Obama, I don't see how he can win, anyway.

[youtube]
So are you saying we should base our choice on one issue? There is never going to be a candidate that shares all our views if we are honest. We have to decide which one comes the closest to sharing what we believe in. So he is oppossed to legalizing medical marijuana, does that mean cancer patients on chemo should not vote for him?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,424 times
The romney camp will rush to advertise that I'm sure BTW thanks for turning on the most gay friendly POTUS in history. He appreciates that I'm sure.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
As a gay person, it has been very difficult for me to get myself to support any of the Republican candidates, but after careful thought, I realized that Romney is actually a reasonably gay friendly candidate. And I think the media makes the Republican party appear more anti-gay than it really is. I personally know MANY Republicans who have no problem with gay people and even support gay rights, and sometimes marriage even.

Time and again, Romney has repeatedly made it clear that he opposes any form of gay discrimination, and he has even appointed gay members to his cabinet while governor of Massachusetts. It is somewhat disappointing that he supports a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman, but I can live with it. After all, Obama has never said that he is FOR gay marriage, either. I mean, at least Romney, compared to the other candidates, doesn't seem homophobic at all.

The alternative to Romney (Obama), is simply a disaster. I mean, I really don't want America to become an entitlement society in which the people are becoming increasingly dependent on GOVERNMENT. The fact that Obama passed ObamaCare is equally, if not more, disturbing than the idea of Romney amending the Constitution to define marriage between a man and a woman -- which, by the way is VERY hard to accomplish. It requires a 67% majority vote in the House, AND 75% of the states must vote for it. I highly doubt it would happen, especially given that the majority of Americans (53%) now support gay marriage.

So now that push is coming to shove, I simply can't get myself to vote for Obama. He sucks. Period.

I can live with President Romney.
LOL you are as fickle as February.

But I do take issue with the bolded parts.

1. Romney supports DOMA.
2. Romney supports bringing back DADT

These are currently the two main gay rights issues being discussed by the federal government right now. Obama is against them. Romney is for them. If you really care that much about gay marriage, it might be interesting to look into DOMA and the DOMA debate.

Furthermore, presidents appoint SCOTUS judges, these appointments basically are 40% of the reason why I think the presidency is important. Given the slew of state and federal litigation around gay rights issues, pre-tell what kind of SCOTUS judges do you think you will get from a Romney Administration and how do you think they will rule on the aforementioned litigation. Furthermore, if you read Scalia's dissent in Lawrence v. Texas you can see he is rip roaring to revisit that one and, if Kennedy is replaced by some one who is more conservative, say a Romney appointee, are you OK chancing it that he doesn't have the votes.

Romney Stance On Gay Rights? It's Complicated : NPR

Furthermore under Obama government has shrunk.

Rachel Maddow Calls Out The GOP Lie That Obama Has Grown Government

Additionally, the only part of "ObamaCare" that is really at issue is the individual mandate, which Romney urged Obama to make part of the Affordable care act back in 2009.

BREAKING: Mitt Romney Urged Obama to Embrace the Individual Mandate | RedState
Romney Urged Obama To Embrace Individual Mandate In 2009

Other parts of the bill most people like, including ending discrimination for prexisting conditions, a high risk pool, and eliminating caps on coverage.

If you want to support Romney that's fine, but don't expect people to not keep you honest.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-13-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections