Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:31 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Romney signed a pledge to ban same-sex marriage at the federal level. He wants to pass a constitutional amendment. This has been well-documented.

And this comes from a man who once said he was to the left of Ted Kennedy on gay rights. Who is the real Mitt Romney? Does anyone know?
You will find out soon!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM

487 posts, read 382,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Romney signed a pledge to ban same-sex marriage at the federal level. He wants to pass a constitutional amendment. This has been well-documented.

And this comes from a man who once said he was to the left of Ted Kennedy on gay rights. Who is the real Mitt Romney? Does anyone know?
Mitt Romney's main platforms are states rights and local populism. If the majority of people in your state want same sex marriage, have at it! More power to you!

Liberals don't really understand the benefits of states rights. It provides for greater political/social experimentation, enables a wider diversity of thought and at the end of the day, it gives local populations what they want.

Finally, who is the real Barrack Obama? And what does he have planned for his second term, when things are more "flexible"?

I should also add that Mitt Romney was governor when Massachusetts passed gay marriage.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 PM

295 posts, read 591,926 times
I too am a gay man supporting Romney.

There are far too many more issues than just gay marriage. I'm a business owner, I can't afford higher taxes. That will just cause me to do things I would rather not!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
If I were a gay man I'd support Romney too.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
As a gay person, it has been very difficult for me to get myself to support any of the Republican candidates, but after careful thought, I realized that Romney is actually a reasonably gay friendly candidate. And I think the media makes the Republican party appear more anti-gay than it really is. I personally know MANY Republicans who have no problem with gay people and even support gay rights, and sometimes marriage even.

Time and again, Romney has repeatedly made it clear that he opposes any form of gay discrimination, and he has even appointed gay members to his cabinet while governor of Massachusetts. It is somewhat disappointing that he supports a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman, but I can live with it. After all, Obama has never said that he is FOR gay marriage, either. I mean, at least Romney, compared to the other candidates, doesn't seem homophobic at all.

The alternative to Romney (Obama), is simply a disaster. I mean, I really don't want America to become an entitlement society in which the people are becoming increasingly dependent on GOVERNMENT. The fact that Obama passed ObamaCare is equally, if not more, disturbing than the idea of Romney amending the Constitution to define marriage between a man and a woman -- which, by the way is VERY hard to accomplish. It requires a 67% majority vote in the House, AND 75% of the states must vote for it. I highly doubt it would happen, especially given that the majority of Americans (53%) now support gay marriage.

So now that push is coming to shove, I simply can't get myself to vote for Obama. He sucks. Period.

I can live with President Romney.
Go ahead and vote for Romney. Romney appears "friendly" to everything and everybody. Even GOP'ers have called him a flip flopper.

Please do tell everybody you know that you think Romney (a card carrying Mormon in good standing) is "gay friendly". By all means, do take your chances with the "religious" right.

I'm probably older than you and totally hetero, but I'm not getting anywhere near those war mongering, misogynist busybodies.

Good luck to you.

BTW, look up Romneycare and compare it to Obamacare.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM

295 posts, read 591,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
If I were a gay man I'd support Romney too.
Good for you.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I think Romney is probably the most gay friendly of the Republican candidates, certainly much more then Santorum.

On the other hand I do NOT see "record numbers" (as one poster put it) of LGBT people switching over and voting for the GOP this year. First of all, half of this community are women - Lesbians - and the Republicans are having a big problem with the majority of women voters this year. Secondly, Romney may be more "friendly" to the LGBT Community than the other Republicans, but it doesn't come close to the supportive and respectful relationship Obama and the Democrats have been nurturing over the past several years. I cannot see any major LGBT newspaper, organization, or celebrity endorsing Romney this year ... and if you think I am mistaken, please let us know what major endorsement for Romney is going to come out of the LGBT community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections