Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,458,793 times

Advertisements

Today, Mitt Romney addressed the National Rifle Association at their annual convention. During his speech, he said the following:

"We need a president who will enforce current laws, not create new ones that only serve to burden lawful gun owners," Romney told thousands of NRA members in St. Louis for their annual convention. "President Obama has not. I will."

Mitt Romney told the group: "We need a president who will stand up for the rights of hunters, sportsmen, and those seeking to protect their homes and their families. President Obama has not; I will."

Mitt Romney NRA Speech: Presumptive GOP Nominee Addresses Conference

But, in the past, he sang a different tune on more than one occasion:

He backed two gun-control measures that were strongly opposed by the National Rifle Association: the Brady Law, which imposed a five-day waiting period on gun sales, and a ban on certain assault weapons, saying, "I think they will help."

He proudly said those positions wouldn't make him "the hero of the NRA." As governor, he made Massachusetts the first state to permanently ban assault weapons. He has even flip-flopped about whether he owns any guns. In New Hampshire, he was asked his view on the Second Amendment. He responded that he had been a hunter "pretty much all my life." Later, red-faced aides of Romney had to admit that Romney had never had a hunting license, and under further questioning, Romney acknowledged that his "lifetime of hunting" was having shot at some birds during a Republican governors meeting during a fund-raising event and maybe shooting at "small varmints" when he was seventeen with his cousin.
Source: Do The Right Thing, by Mike Huckabee, p. 17-18 , Nov 18, 2008

Top Romney Flip Flops: #3. Gun Control:
Campaigning for the Senate in 1994, Romney said he favored strong gun laws and did not “line up with the NRA.” He signed up for “lifetime membership” of the NRA in August 2006 while pondering a presidential run, praising the group for “doing good things” and “supporting the right to bear arms.”
Source: GovWatch on 2008 campaign: “Top Ten Flip-Flops” , Feb 5, 2008

I do support the Second Amendment. I would have signed the assault weapon ban that came to his desk. I said I would have supported that and signed a similar bill in our state. It was a bill worked out, by the way, between pro-gun lobby and anti-gun lobby individuals. Both sides of the issue came together and found a way to provide relaxation in licensing requirements and allow more people to--to have guns for their own legal purposes. So we signed that in Massachusetts, and I’d support that at the federal level.
Source: 2008 GOP debate in Boca Raton Florida , Jan 24, 2008

We should check on the backgrounds of people who are trying to purchase guns. We also should keep weapons of unusual lethality from being on the street. And finally, we should go after people who use guns in the commission of crimes or illegally, but we should not interfere with the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns, for their own personal protection or hunting or any other lawful purpose. I support the work of the NRA. I’m a member of the NRA. But do we line up on every issue? No, we don’t.
Source: Meet the Press: 2007 “Meet the Candidates” series , Dec 16, 2007

The Brady Bill has changed over time, and, of course, technology has changed over time. I would have supported the original assault weapon ban. I signed an assault weapon ban as Massachusetts governor
Source: Meet the Press: 2007 “Meet the Candidates” series , Dec 16, 2007

Does the guy have ANY principles? Does he know where he stands on ANY issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM

23,332 posts, read 17,012,913 times
Ah, MR flip flops??????

Guess who has flip flopped more times than you can count? BHO

MR would have a long way to go to catch up with the original mr etch-a-sketch, president Obama.

If FF are an important indicator of a candidate's worthiness i guess you will not be voting for Obama in November.

Even the NRA supports 'gun control" as does Sarah Brady. Guess what? there is a huge spectrum of difference. Being in favor of gun control tells us nothing.

Gun laws must be obeyed to be effective. Anyone know of any criminals who, upon hearing the latest feel good laws, turned in their guns or left them home when they committed a crime?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,178,099 times

Romney in 2007: "I don't line up 100% with the NRA" - YouTube

Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,683,194 times
In light of the Trayvon Martin shooting, Romney might be better off keeping his trap shut on this topic. He has already alienated women voters. Now it looks like he is going after alienating the African-American vote as well.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,165,089 times
You'll need to do better to show Obama is the best candidate.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,745,159 times
It's about time he got the right idea. Will he stick to it?

Then, in time, we can start REDUCING the number of laws on the books that try to control guns... that is, laws that control the guns of the law-abiding.

Has there ever been a "gun control" law that controlled the guns of people who don't obey laws?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,793,694 times
Default Romney is a gun banner; his record proves it.

The only candidate worthy of trust in regard to the 2nd Amendment and the continued RKBA is Rep. Ron Paul.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 PM

831 posts, read 677,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
You'll need to do better to show Obama is the best candidate.

There is also a saying. I'm sure you heard it somewhere. It goes like.

"Better the devil you know, that the one you dont"

I am pro 2nd and i know Obama is at least consistant...

With romney? ohh hell, "Hi dear, are you good this morning or on your time of the month (period)?"

Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,165,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
There is also a saying. I'm sure you heard it somewhere. It goes like.

"Better the devil you know, that the one you dont"

I am pro 2nd and i know Obama is at least consistant...

With romney? ohh hell, "Hi dear, are you good this morning or on your time of the month (period)?"
I actually think the other way. I would rather have Romney as president, since we don't know how he'll do. Whereas, Obama has already proven he isn't a good president. Maybe I'm just odd. LOL

Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,576,797 times
Hardly an embarrassment of riches in the pool of potential Republican candidates for President. To think that Romney is the best you guys could do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections