U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM

12,639 posts, read 6,954,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
[LEFT]Democrats will have a difficult time retaking the House, despite the party’s recently optimism about the November elections, according to a recent analysis by the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report.
The party will need a net gain of 25 seats to retake the chamber lost to Republicans in the 2010 elections, which even President Obama described as a “shellacking.”

The politically-influenced redrawing of congressional districts, based on new Census numbers, gives neither party a clear advantage in 2011, Stuart Rothenberg, of the Washington-based firm, said last week.
However, House Democrats retiring in such states as Arkansas, Indiana, North Carolina, Oklahoma and even Illinois along with a “surprising” problem in recruiting good candidates leaves the party with “limited” opportunities, he says.

Read more: New report shows GOP keeping House, Democrats making small gains | Fox News

Great news![/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM

1,347 posts, read 895,625 times
I don't think even most Democrats think they have a chance at the House. I hope we can keep it a lock for the GOP (though I would be surprised if we didn't lose a few seats just due to the cyclical nature of politics - the GOP peaked in 2010) so we can invest our resources in Romney and key senate races.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,646,163 times
I guess here's to another two years of no new legislation on most anything. I guess everyone will have to wait until 2014 for any real agreement on the deficit to be possible.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:40 PM

69,353 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I guess here's to another two years of no new legislation on most anything. I guess everyone will have to wait until 2014 for any real agreement on the deficit to be possible.
Well if the senate would start cooperating and the Pres would stop saying I will work with you if you give me my way, maybe we could make some progress.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,298,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well if the senate would start cooperating and the Pres would stop saying I will work with you if you give me my way, maybe we could make some progress.

But you do know how some people operate! give me my way, or it is going to be a pretty rocky hwy.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM

5,945 posts, read 4,716,176 times
Breaking News!:

Fox reports Republicans will win.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The proposal in the debt committee was 3/1 spending cuts/tax increases. The Democrats were willing to compromise. The House Republicans ended up bailing as they said they weren't willing to compromise at all and wouldn't raise any taxes. They cared too much about being re-elected.

This could have been sorted out already, but the Republicans don't want to break the tax pledge that they were forced to sign by their party.

The end result is no matter how gets elected, there'll be more massive deficits.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,181,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
The proposal in the debt committee was 3/1 spending cuts/tax increases. The Democrats were willing to compromise. The House Republicans ended up bailing as they said they weren't willing to compromise at all and wouldn't raise any taxes. They cared too much about being re-elected.

This could have been sorted out already, but the Republicans don't want to break the tax pledge that they were forced to sign by their party.

The end result is no matter how gets elected, there'll be more massive deficits.
Only if we keep spending at current levels.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Did you see spending levels reduced when the Republicans controlled the House, Senate and Presidency? Cutting spending was a bad word in 2000-2006. Deficit reduction was part of the mantra of the freshman class in the 90's and people forgot about that so fast it wasn't funny.

To do real cuts, the Republicans will need Democratic support and they won't get the Democrats to work with them at all if it's only spending cuts.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,015,901 times
Good.

The majority in this country needs to learn that republicans aren't working in their best interests. And that can't be achieved as long as they're able to pander on lies and misinformation. Give it all to them, let them run the country to the ground (inevitable), so people will rise and rebuild this nation. Better sooner than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or