Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Great ad.

Obama has turned what WAS a friendly organization against him with his assault on religious freedom. The bishops supported obamacare and were willing to work with obama, until he stabbed them in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Mormons aren't all that enthralled with Catholics. Joseph Smith referred to them as "that great ***** of a church."

Mormon: Why the Mormon Church hates the Catholic Church

Problems with the Book of Mormon | Catholic Answers
Catholics are among the groups least resistant to a Mormon candidate. The Roman Catholic Church and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints work together in a very symbiotic way in many regions of the country, much more than either of those two churches do with evangelical churches.

I don't know what Catholics you guys know though, most I know are Republican. Bush won Catholics in 2000 and 2004 (the latter against a Catholic candidate no less). I'm pretty sure Catholics went GOP in 2010 as well. Even so, I could see the Catholic vote going either way, but it will be close either way. And if they do vote for Obama, I guarantee you it has nothing to do with Romney's faith. And, to be fair and honest here, if the Catholic vote goes to Romney, I don't think it will be because of the HHS mandate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy
About 22% of the American electorate are not going to vote for Mitt Romney simply based on his religion.
I have seen that poll, but I guess nearly all of those 22% must be Democrats to begin with since that effect isn't at all borne out in any public polling I've seen. Even the ones with Romney losing are not by so much that that could be pegged as a primary cause.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, I am sure that my fellow Catholics are going to run off and vote for a Mormon, yeah right
Thankfully, your fellow Catholics are, as a rule, a lot less bigoted towards other faiths than the average evangelical Christian. Here in Utah, relations between Mormons and Catholics are exceptionally good.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Mormons aren't all that enthralled with Catholics. Joseph Smith referred to them as "that great ***** of a church."
Actually, evangelical Christians are far more likely to refer to the Catholic Church as "the ***** of Babylon" than Mormons are.

The Mormon Church doesn't hate the Catholic Church, wade. Here in Utah, at least, the relationship between the Catholic Church and the LDS Church is excellent. Just a couple of years ago, LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson was one of the featured speakers at the service held in the Catholic Cathedral of the Madeleine to celebrate its 100th anniversary. And almost twenty years ago, when the cathedral was undergoing a $10 million renovation, the Catholic Church graciously accepted a very, very sizable financial contribution from the LDS Church, and even expressed their appreciation by having the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing at the rededication of the building. Chicago's Cardinal Francis George recently received a warm welcome when he spoke at Brigham Young University, which is, of course, a private religious institution owned and operated by the LDS Church, and just last year, several LDS Apostles spent time at the Vatican with such distinguished Catholic leaders as Cardinal William Joseph Levada, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith; Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, Head of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue; Monsignor Ettore Balestrero, the Undersecretary for Relations with States; and Archbishop Brian Farrell, Secretary of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity.

Of course you're going to find individual Mormons and individual Catholics who are more than willing to bad-mouth each other, but that's truly the exception rather than the rule.

This belongs on the Christianity forum, not the elections forum.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Yeah...

Catholics are lining up to vote for the Mormon.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thankfully, your fellow Catholics are, as a rule, a lot less bigoted towards other faiths than the average evangelical Christian. Here in Utah, relations between Mormons and Catholics are exceptionally good.
I doubt the same can be said nation wide, many consider the Mormons to be a cult and not a Christian faith.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:51 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
I doubt the same can be said nation wide, many consider the Mormons to be a cult and not a Christian faith.
This is sad but true, and will eventually surface during the debates; the high numbers demand that it be addressed.

Mitt Romney’s Mormon cult controversy: Anti-Mormonism is the prejudice of our age. - Slate Magazine

And I disagree with the OP; Catholic women will be energized about reproduction, the Church hierarchy be damned. The Vatican is as out of touch with women as the GOP.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Well, they're nuts!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Can we have more of this at the Sunday sermons?

Bishop Daniel R. Jenky: Obama following a similar path as Hitler and Stalin - YouTube

Ouch! I think obama will regret starting a war with the Church (Catholic, Protestant, etc).

Old 04-17-2012, 06:42 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Can we have more of this at the Sunday sermons?

Bishop Daniel R. Jenky: Obama following a similar path as Hitler and Stalin - YouTube

Ouch! I think obama will regret starting a war with the Church (Catholic, Protestant, etc).
Are you Catholic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections